Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Agreed on the self title. Someone pulled the wrong master, or Rhino was being funny trying to give us a retro mix to shake it up a bit.
    But the rest matches the deluxes not the Rhino masters from the 80s or 90s.
    Friday Music has never come clean to how they really master their releases. I don't trust them.

2. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I think so. The remix was done later in the 80's I believe for the CD issue. I bought the Japan Lp's circa 1983.

yellowballoon likes this.
  3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

So was the remix put out on vinyl?

4. yellowballoon

Anything before the work Rhino did on their first reissue program would be needle drops.

5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I'm not sure. I have it on an Arista cassette, though, so perhaps.. anyone?

6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I wish they were more forthcoming as well, but what did you think of their Greatest Hits, Present and Changes?

7. yellowballoon

I'm not a fan of Friday Music at all. The bloated prices, shoddy artwork. The mono box is probably the best they've done sound wise, the artwork is blurry and the price is criminal. They have cheapen The Monkees brand by putting out such shoddy work compared to the fine work from Rhino. I tell others to avoid. Sorry

John Bliss likes this.
  8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Not entirely. "Listen To the Band" on the new set is a mono mix. On the deluxe Present, it's the original fake stereo mix. And "Magnolia Simms" is mono on the new set. On the deluxe Birds, Bees & The Monkees, it's the original one channel empty mix.

George C. likes this.
  9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

So you haven't heard them?

MarshallMan likes this.
  10. yellowballoon

Well of course a better listening experience.

11. yellowballoon

Yes I owned them. Doesn't mean I like them. Sorry just my opinion

12. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

That's fair - no need to apologize. Friendly forum debate, that's why we're here!

yellowballoon likes this.
  13. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

How does the new vinyl box set Head compare to the 2011 180g Rhino vinyl?

14. yellowballoon

Too bad some screw ups with the new box set. I'm still pretty happy with it. Remember when the second volume of the US Beatles CD collection was released in 2006? The mono mixes were the stereo mixes sub down to mono? A lot of this crap goes on all the time.

dasacco likes this.
  15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Haven't got to that yet, but I will...

16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I listened to Headquarters and BB&M from the box today. Headquarters was very bright, as usual, but otherwise the equal or superior to any other vinyl version I own (Colgems, Arista, Sundazed).

BB&M sounds quite good. Magnolia is in mono, but that fits the "vintage" sound that recording was going for. Perhaps using the mono version was intentional? If not, it's strange since this is otherwise a very stereo lp. FWIW, I didn't have the usual negative response to Zor & Zam. Perhaps because it was over so fast. :)

BeatleStair and yellowballoon like this.
  17. Friday's mono Monkees box of LPs sound fantastic. Haven't heard this new stereo box yet.

williamjoel and dasacco like this.
  18. yellowballoon

Seriously who wants a track to come only out of one speaker. Thanks Rhino for delivering a better listening experience.

BeatleStair likes this.
  19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I had the Friday Music reissue of Changes, and it was badly warped. I returned it and the next copy was warped exactly the same way. I ended up throwing it away.

And that one album cost $30! If you bought all four of the Friday reissues you'd pay almost as much as you would for this box set.

John Bliss likes this.
  20. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Even the ones from the 1960s? That seems crazy.

21. yellowballoon

No not those- reissues

22. yellowballoon

Friday Muisc = sub par knock offs of Rhino releases while jacking your money

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Well, The Monkees wanted it that way when it was originally produced by them.

George C. and D-rock like this.
  24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

My Friday Music Changes is flat, centered, noise free and I paid $20 for it at Amazon shortly after release. And it's better sounding than my original Colgems pressing and the 80's Rhino pressing.

Bashing the whole company because you got a bad pressing makes no sense to me. I mean Rhino pulled the 1986 master for the debut LP in this set (further confirmed by the lengthier fade out out TJDSTBMD on Side 2) and to me that's pretty shoddy detective work on their part.

And the Friday Mono box took a pounding on this board because of the crappy looking covers. These new one from Rhino aren't setting any new standards for cover art either.

25. yellowballoon

Friday Music Changes put to bed by the new box pressing.
    Friday Music moved in, made knock offs and fleeched fans by charging a premium price by trying to pass off product that really wasn't. Not.much else to say about them.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.