Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I agree on point one.

On point two, we'll just have to disagree. It's all good.

yellowballoon likes this.
  2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I thought I reas some article or thread here, that the 2016 RSD Monkees 10-LP box set had a printed limited number on the back of the box? Does
    anyone have a prnted limited number on their box, I don't unless I'm looking on the wrong place?

3. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Dang it, should a waited.. ended up paying 146+ for the 10lp set and 34+ for the single...

5. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

"Headquarters" has never been "very bright". That was nonsense that the people involved with the deluxe edition posted to justify the ridiculously bright mastering of that set. I have many masterings of that album in various formats, and none of them are anywhere near that bright. Of course, that doesn't stop people from praising it anyway.

My educated guess is that if the new LP is "very bright", then it was probably cut from the Deluxe Edition master.

6. GreenGringo

Actually, I question these LP's being from the original master tapes at all, and not directly ripped from the crap Deluxe Edition masterings.

If they wouldn't even bother pulling the original masters for the HDTracks versions, then they certainly wouldn't bother pulling them for a pure cash-grab like this.

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

In my opinion, that's exactly what makes perfect sense to me.

8. GreenGringo

And the fact that there are "non-vintage" variations present pretty much proves that they couldn't possibly have come from tape.

Laservampire likes this.
  9. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Of course it only makes sense that these would be pulled from existing digital masters. That I get. But I'm struggling to believe that enough time and care was really put into these to make these the definitive sounding releases as some are stating. It's a RSD day release with a whole lot of albums in it. That's a fair amount of mastering work and the price on these is relatively low.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just gonna stick with my deluxe CD sets.

10. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Well, I certainly get people's attitude of being wary of this set. All I can say is the albums I've played from the set, haven't played all of them yet including the S/T debut lp, are superb. Nice smooth bass, clean vocals and very detailed sound. I didn't hear "Headquarters" as being bright. In fact, I think it's not as bright as the CD set version and even that I didn't think was excessive. The new Lp is better for sure. Still a trebly recording but nice bass on the new Lp version.

"Pisces", "Birds and Bees" and "Instant Replay" were all superb. I'm glad I bought the set and still say it's about the best I've heard The Monkees on vinyl. Super quiet pressings to boot. Look forward to slowly going through the rest of the albums.

11. GreenGringo

If the Headquarters deluxe edition is "not excessively bright", then nothing can be excessively bright. That's all I am going to say about that nonsense.

George C. likes this.
  12. BeatleStair

I didn't find the "Headquarters" from either the new 10-CD set or the new 10-Lp set excessively bright.

Probably wrong, as I'm sure you'll be happy to tell me lol, but that's all the nonsense for now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  13. GreenGringo

For the main albums, I am sticking with the 1994/1995 CD's, which are very good and do not suffer from the excessive compression and brightness of the deluxe editions. The only exception is "Pisces", which is the only deluxe set to actually use an upgraded (or noticeably different) source, and by some miracle isn't as badly mastered as the others.

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I thought your previous post was all you were going to say about this nonsense.

ibekeen and Peachy like this.
  15. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

It's fun to watch threads as they follow SH protocol and devolve into the standard "this is the absolute worst cash grab bad mastered rip off ever" ...you always know it's coming.

I think I'll pay more attention to the positive reviews. Monkees vinyl has always been hit or miss, but these seem like more of a safe bet, and the restored artwork (with no bar codes!) and low price may finally push me to actually get it.

John Bliss, vinylbeat and JDistheone like this.
  16. GreenGringo

It's fun to watch people blindly defend crappy masterings in an audiophile forum, because they don't want to face up to the facts. You always know it's coming.

17. Except everyone has a different rig, room and ears and especially tastes. I see folks jump on and off the bandwagon on reissues here all the time.

I haven't heard this RSD set but I want to as my old LPs are so worn . I like the deluxe CDs and really love the Friday mono LP set. Think those sound fab.

John Bliss, Peachy and BeatleStair like this.
  18. BeatleStair

Then you'd love this new lp set. It's really nice and even better than Friday music's mono set which I think is the best Friday music has done with The Monkees catalog.

Great sound, nice cover reproductions with no barcodes, colored vinyl. Decent price for 10 Lps. What's not to like. No nonsense lol!

John Bliss, Peachy, vinylbeat and 2 others like this.
  19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

It's because I'm the dummy GreenGringo.

I'm always the dummy.

BeatleStair likes this.
  20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

21. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Some of what SDE posted about the CD set doesn't apply to the vinyl. Different songs on the debut appear in mono on the vinyl edition, for example.

Naysayers can have their fun, but the fact is that I've played three of these LPs, and I have NEVER heard better pressings or vinyl quality for this group. Until someone gets very serious about doing audiophile-level restorations of the catalog, these will do just fine.

John Bliss, vinylbeat and BeatleStair like this.
  22. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

It's not bright. It's light, kinda rocking, but not too much. But really, my opinion mean nothing.

BeatleStair likes this.
  23. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I don't believe I'm blindly defending the box set. In fact my eyes, and more importantly my ears, are wide open. When I said in an earlier post that Headquarters was "bright", "trebley" would've been more a more appropriate description and that's only in comparison with the other Monkees albums. For someone looking to get the Monkees catalog on vinyl, imo, this box is the way to go.

John Bliss and BeatleStair like this.
  24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

25. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I thought it was a music forum.. Darn, Hey Steve can I have my money back! But really, I'm an audiophile to the core, I only have 56 lp's and 7 cd's cause I can't find anything else worth playing on my 9 systems. I actually only play certain recording on certain systems. My Monkees box I play on my dual/zenith/audiovox/ set up. The turntable is in the sandbox holder filled with sand from the south of Australia. Speakers are placed on stands made from yellow bricks from the pathway to Oz,,,,

latheofheaven and James spencer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.