Monkees Season One DVD Box Set 5/13

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Rhino will release the complete Season One of The Monkees on DVD on May 13th. It'll be packaged in a six disc box set made to look like an old 60's phonograph record player, and the DVD's themselves will be packaged in facsimile 45 picture sleeves. Unlike previous VHS boxes, the episodes will be in chronological order by airdate. List price: $69.95.

Specs:
    5.1 audio
    Play song "romps" only feature
    Commentary on Episode 1 by director James Frawley and Davy Jones
    Separate commentaries on Episode 3 by Peter Tork and Monkees creator and director Robert Rafelson
    Sepatate commentaries on Episode 10 by Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork
    Separate commentaries on Episode 32 by Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and songwriter Bobby Hart
    Commentary on Episode 12 by Michael Nesmith
    Commentary on Episode 14 by director James Frawley
    Commentary on Episode 15 by Davy Jones
    Monkees Pilot (16mm version)
    Monkees Discography
    Vintage Monkees Kellogg's commercials
    Interview with songwriter Bobby Hart
    Monkees memorabilia gallery

Sounds like a nice set, and it's neat that they were able to get Nesmith to do some commentary, but where's Micky Dolenz?
    :confused:

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The interesting aspect of your post, Rich, is the 5.1 angle. Wonder how they're going to do it, those shows were mono originally, of course...the songs could certainly be in discrete 5.1, since we know HEADQUARTERS, at the least, has multi-tracks that are still around. But, all in all, sounds like a great, spiffy package. I'm in, I just hope they don't futz the audio up too much.

ED:cool:

3. reechie

I also saw press materials for the new Monkees "Best Of," which includes a karaoke disc of possibly the actual backing tracks, including several songs from the first two albums. That may indicate that Rhino has the multi-tracks for the first two albums at their disposal as well, which I suppose would make a 5.1 mix possible. I guess we'll just have to wait and see the results.

At the same time, a couple of those shows included songs with alternate mono mixes that were unique to those TV versions, and were never released on record. Not sure how I feel about losing those completely.

(Note: I've edited the above, because I'm not positive that the karaoke tracks on this disc are the actual original backing tracks)

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

reechie, I saw that Best Of comp on a release sheet. For sure the karaoke disc contains the actual backing tracks? That's great!!!!

mud-

5. Ed Bishop

I can hear it now: Mud and Jeffrey duet to "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"...:D :laugh: :agree: .....followed by "It's Nice To Be With You" and "I'll Be True To You(Yes I Will)":love:

6. reechie

Well, that's the way I read the press release anyway, but don't hurt me if I'm wrong about that
    ;)

I think there was a similar import release a couple of years ago that had the actual backing tracks on a bonus disc as well, perhaps this is the same thing? Tracks included on the bonus are "(Theme From) The Monkees," "I'm A Believer, "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone," "Pleasant Valley Sunday," and "Daydream Believer."

I gotta say though, five karaoke tracks, actual backing tracks or not, isn't going to be enough to get me to buy yet another Monkees "Best Of." I'm in for the DVD's, though.

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

5.1 audio scares me. Could be great, could be reverb city.

The original mono should be included with all old TV shows.

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

reechie, I inflict no pain!

IF these are the actual backing tracks I guess I'll be buying yet ANOTHER Monkees comp.

ED, as I inflict no pain I will not sing!

mud-:D

9. Ed Bishop

Well, I was only asking you to sing to Jeffrey...what's wrong with inflicting a little pain on him? With all the times he's played AOXOMOXOA and EUROPE '72, what's a little more pain, right?:D

10. reechie

Just to be safe, I'm gonna back-track on saying those Monkees karaoke tracks are the original backing tracks. Now that I re-read the release, the term they use is "Previously unreleased karaoke versions...all of which appear in original form as well." That doesn't sound like a definitive answer at all, I'm afraid. You may want to check into it before you shell out your cash.

Rhino's got the set up on their site:
    http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=73875

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, I can confirm this:

Rhino DOES have the Multitracks for the first two Lps. They were found a few years ago when a massive "Where are The Monkees Tapes" search was launched. Because so many different companies were involved with the Monkees project, they had to search the RCA vaults (who made the records) Columbia Screen Gems (who did the TV show), and a bunch of warehouses. But they did find everything, or nearly everything.

I cant imagine that they DIDNT remix the music in true 5.1. That would really suck if they didnt. Not to mention that the mixes of the first Lp really stink. Tommy Boyce says they had like 2 hours to mix the whole thing to meet the TV show deadline.

As far as the Kareoke stuff goes, I do believe the term "Kareoke Verison" is just a new marketing term, same as "Stereo Version" or "Original Single Version". . I do believe they are the original Monkees backing tracks. Its just a way to sell the music again, thats all.

Ps...when EMI released "The Best of Patty Duke", they included "Kareoke Versions" of the Theme Song. It WAS the original backing tracks without the vocals.

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks reechie. This is as confusing as trying to find the stereo Who "A Quick One...."

mud-

13. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

ED, that's pain enough!

14. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

First off, let me say that I'm EXTREMELY excited to hear the news of this set. I shelled out years ago for that monster VHS collection of all their shows, and the video quality (and audio quality, for that matter) were pretty spectacular. I cherish that set - so much so that I'm always on pins and needles while playing it hoping one of the tapes doesn't crap out. Having them all on DVD will be a long-time dream come true.

As for the 5.1 sound, I would be VERY SURPRISED if Rhino actually remixes ANYTHING for this release. Almost every DVD I've bought from them has boasted 5.1 sound that ended up sounding pretty phony. (Elvis collection, Ed Sullivan collection, Cheap Trick In Australia... those are just the ones I can think of off hand.) I almost always have to listen to the alternate audio track because the 5.1 is so funky. At least in the 60s, you had some idea by looking at the cover that the original mono album was in SIMULATED stereo. I wish they'd give the same information for SIMULATED 5.1. Most people probably wouldn't care anyway as long as their multichannel indicator gets lit. I just hate getting my hopes up only to be SO disappointed.

If they do remix these, that'll be splendid. Regardless, as long as they include the original mono track, I'll be thrilled. They usually do include an alternate, "less sexy to Joe Six Pack" track.

What would be a real dream would be a decent sounding version of their special, "33 and 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee." From what I've read, they've already released the only surviving best quality version. However, even if they *only* found an improved mono version, that would be great news.

15. Michael St. Clair

If they include the original mono, I'll buy.

If they make a real remix, I'll probably buy, and grumble about it.

If it is fake 5.1 only, they can keep it. No sale.

16. RetroSmith

hmmm....why do you guys want mono? Buy the lps!!

I want NEW , REAL 5.1 remixes!!! The Monkees deserve nothing less.

17. Michael St. Clair

Part of the strength of DVD is the ability to include multiple soundtracks. Why do you care if we want the mono track included? Nobody ever said not to remix.

Sheesh.

18. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

I also want NEW, REAL 5.1 remixes. Maybe that's just what we'll get. I do hope so.

However, I prefer OLD, REAL MONO in lieu of "Electronically reprocessed for 5.1 Surround." My receiver has some gimmicky settings that enable me to reprocess mono to reverby, echoey simulated surround if I so desire. I just prefer to have a choice.

Unless the video quality is highly compromised from the VHS versions of these shows, I will buy them. I'm not *that* big of a stickler. However, it would be nice if they sound good, too. After all, it was a TV show that featured MUSIC!

19. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

Well, as reechie said, many of the episodes include alternate mixes which have never turned up in any of the Rhino vault searches. For example, I remember one episode with a very different version of "Take a Giant Step". As cool as it would be to hear the more familiar version of that song mixed into 5.1, it would be a real shame to lose that alternate version, and I really don't want to have to supplement a DVD box set with a VHS box set just to get the original soundtracks.

I agree that the Monkees in DD 5.1 is a very cool thing and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope that they'll include the original mono soundtracks as a bonus. If there's no mono and fake, wonky-sounding 5.1, then I'll pass, regardless of the bonus features.

20. RetroSmith

Well, Ok, i'll vote for mono included as an extra. didnt mean to exclude that.

21. Ed Bishop

I take it then, that you haven't, yet? Neither have I. Really, I don't know where to start. One of these days it'll turn up in some ma & pa store, opened, I'll stick it in a crappy player, and there it will be, like that Bee Gees collection with the alt. "Broken Heart." Of course it could take awhile....

Where's GB? As Imperial Guinea Pig, isn't he supposed to be tracking this down and taking all the chances for us?!?:confused:

Mud, as Soup Gort, it's your sworn duty to give GoldenBoy his marching orders. His status demands results!:D ;)

22. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

ED, when I remember I keep looking for that elusive STICKER that I'm supposed to look for.

As to GB, perhaps he's on a far and wide search for this title. We do, however, need an update.

23. reechie

I was in a brand new Best Buy store over the weekend, and even they still had the old version.
    :rolleyes:

24. Ed Bishop

Even factoring in it's an Astley job, whatever he did--save for tightening the separation--couldn't be all that worse than the mushy original stereo mixes(qualified 'couldn't be')...

I wish Steve would let us use one little naughty word that begins with F, as in, Aww............
    FUDGE
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.