Monkees shows 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

3. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I believe-- not sure-- that Andrew S. is the caretaker of the Monkees Tour Facebook page. He is promoting the CA shows so that kind of makes sense.

As to why Nez would do an autograph covention as opposed to showing up for an actual show is strange though.

Maybe he already committed to the convention?

Weird.

4. super sally

Just got word that Nez is appearing with Neko Case in February in North Carolina. They are screening Repo Man.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Less work, more lucrative. I'd do it too.

Fandom Lenses and izgoblin like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

What! No Davy Jones? Get a rope!

7. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

It sounds like Micky and Peter are doing more dates together. The Monkees Tour Facebook page hinted there's going to be an announcement tomorrow.

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This just posted:

Hey, Hey: Micky & Peter are so excited about the brand new live show that they are taking to Canada in April - new setlist, new visuals and a groovy acoustic section - that they thought they’d like some of their fans in California to see what they are working up before they head north.

On March 27th, 2015, Micky & Peter are doing a warm-up date in Indio, California at Fantasy Springs Special Events Center. Tickets go on sale to the public this Friday!
    http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?orgid=45429&agency=FSCV_SNG

Check back here for more details and pictures and videos from rehearsals!

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I guess Micky and Peter are free to tour under the Monkees moniker if they so wish, but I'm somewhat disappointed that they have decided for whatever reason to carry on as The Monkees without Mike. Those 2013 and 2014 tours were magic and would have been a great way to wrap up the Monkees story.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

While I enjoyed catching them 3 times with Mike, I have also enjoyed seeing Peter and Mickey solo (as well as a brief collaboration between them at a tribute to Davy), and would enjoy the opportunity to see them in this format, which would cast more of a spotlight on Peter than any former lineup.

In other words, please bring it to the Northeast too

D-rock and monkees paw like this.
  11. super sally

I hear where you are coming from.

However, at this point, I'm glad to see them in any incarnation. The 2012-2014 brought some closure. Everything that follows is icing on the cake, to me.

I hope this "2kees' tour is low key and then they ramp up for the major cities for a big 50th-- with Mike.

12. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

I agree that anything new will be icing on the cake for me too (new album would be eating the cake too).

I like how they are going to an acoustic set! Looking forward to a setlist.

D-rock and monkees paw like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I wanna like your post but I can't stand the made-up words of "2kees" or "3kees". Lol.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

D-rock,

Thank you for saying that, lol... I thought I was the only one annoyed with those words...

D-rock, Mark Nelson and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Like nails on a blackboard

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

And the same thing goes for Christmas!

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  17. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I went to that Davy tribute at BB Kings and thought it was so lame I left long before the two got on stage. When they started marching out "D" list celebrities and going table to table asking for donations, I bee-lined for the door. Nice meal though:rolleyes:

18. 905

905 Senior Member

Just my guess, but the Monkees know that a 50th anniversary tour will bring in the dough, so I think the three will tour together next year. Unless one of them gets peeved with the others, of course. Then expect a three Monkee tour in 2019 or so.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

My guess is if Nez is gonna do it, it'll be for the 50th and that's it. Can't see him taking it further than that. Sounds like Rhino has plans set for 2015.

Fandom Lenses and BadJack like this.
  20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I'm disappointed that Nesmith seems to be done for now -- he cancelled his solo UK tour last year too -- but how awesome is it that he basically "came out of retirement" for solo and Monkees touring for three straight years? I guess the guy deserves a break. I sure would like to hear his take on all this though, as far as what his plans are.

As far as the 50th anniversary is concerned, I was gonna say we're lucky to have them all still here with us at this point (I forgot for a moment that now, we don't actually have them all still here with us). It would be great to see Nez back in action. In the mean time, if Micky and Peter want to do some stuff, cool.

21. This is pretty much my take on affairs. I am operating on the assumption that the 50th will be the last roundup, and will be scaled accordingly. Given Nez ain't exactly a road warrior (and that he's apparently working on a book at the moment), I can see him opting out this year to catch his breath and conserve his energies for the 50th. We need to remember that all 3 of them will be over 70 by the time 2016 rolls around. Although I can easily see Micky and Peter working publicly till they keel over, Nez's recent activities are very much an outlier for him. We're insanely lucky to still have 3 of 4 original members alive and physically/mentally healthy enough to tour, and if Nez needs extra-long breaks in 2015 to make it to a 50th anniversary tour, then more power to him for knowing his limits. :)

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Maybe we'll get 3 nights at Soldier field next year with Trey singing the Davy tunes

ARK likes this.
  23. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

ArGH! I can't believe they are playing River Cree and not in the actual city of edmonton.

24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

:biglaugh:

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I wouldn't call Tommy James, Gene Cormish of the Rascals or Deana Martin "D-listers". These were all artists who knew Davy Jones and wanted to share their memories of the man.

The B.B. Kings tribute wasn't meant to be a Monkees concert, it was a memorial to Davy Jones who had passed away barely a month before. I was at this event and I and many other fans who attended it were deeply moved by the sincere sentiments that were expressed by Davy's band and the guests that were there. Too bad you left before Peter and Micky took the stage, it was an emotional highlight of the evening, Micky could barely get through Daydream Believer without crying and Davy's daughters hugged him during the song as support. The monies collected were for one of Davy's charities and I and other fans gladly gave for a good cause.

What seems to be forgotten is that the tickets for the event were kept extremely low at $15 each. Davy's family could have easily charged a hundred dollars or more per ticket and it would have still easily sold out. They purposely kept the admission low so that the real fans could attend and not be shut out.

If folks went to the tribute thinking it was a Monkees concert, then they went for the wrong reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.