Monkees shows 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice to hear they hope to bring it to the NE.

2. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Hmm. I wonder how permanent Nesmith's not wanting to tour is. He even bagged his own solo tour last year, so I wonder if the sudden road warrior phase he went through in 2012-14 lost its appeal.

As for the current setlist, there are some nice surprises but I mostly feel like I've seen it all before.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

I was wondering why that was.
    But I'm still of the opinion that there will be a tour next year with all three.
    And I also think they will tour after that, and be like the Three Stooges in the late sixties going on until they can't.

4. I read an unspoken "till 2016" in that sentence, if only because the last few years have made me an Incurable Monkees Optimist.

In related news, I'll be checking london airfares here in a little bit...

905 and BadJack like this.
  5. BadJack

After reading a review (a positive one), I think I'd be more excited not by the performance of rare deep cuts but by Dolenz coming up with stage banter not about Shrek and being "told he had a great time".

6. He did eventually retire the Vulcan Joke...

7. BadJack

From Peter's comments in one interview, I wonder if Micky did this under duress. Oh, well, it was a good run...

I'm probably alone in this, but one of my favorite aspects of the 2014 shows (which I almost skipped) was the almost complete lack of canned schtick. It was just the songs, along with the visuals.

Fandom Lenses and D-rock like this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Didn't bother me either, but some friends I was with (who are definitely fans of the music), said "Why didn't they tell any jokes? They're the Monkees!"

Does anyone know for sure whether "Tear the Top Right Off My Head" was played or on video? I've heard conflicting reports.

9. I didn't do 2014 but I did do 2013. There were a few quips (including Micky's Shrek Shoutout), and some physical comedy on-stage, but it was mostly just the music. I thought that approach was a good middle ground. On the one hand, it's a great act which does great music, and you don't need Micky in drag and all the category 5 wackiness that was part of *ahem* earlier tours to turn it into a good show. On the other hand, one needn't--and shouldn't-- take the Monkees TOO seriously either.

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Even if Nesmith doesn't come back, I'm glad he did those couple tours and I've gotten to see him on both those and one solo show. I never thought I'd ever have a chance to see him live. If the Monkees come around again as just Micky and Peter, I may think twice about seeing them. Chances are, I would anyways (especially if Sandoval is the man behind the scenes).

11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I'm wondering about that, too - I'd kill for some video of 70 year old Dolenz "freaking out in the afternoon".

I've got only one gripe about the setlist - no "Porpoise" or "As We Go Along". Those two were, to me, the absolute highlights of all the '11-'14 shows (and that's no small feat). Faithful arrangements of what might be my favorite single ever and Micky's pipes were at their most sublime. I get that they had to shake things up and give Peter more vocals while still playing most of the hits... but still, I'm kind of bummed they didn't make the cut.

Sandinista and BadJack like this.
  12. Yep. Saw him twice as a Monkee, 3 times solo, and even shook his hand two times--none of which I EVER expected to occur. I am more excited about this 2kees tour than I would have anticipated, and hope to be able to hit one of the dates on the second leg Peter teased on Facebook.

13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

So who's in the band? In the Randy Scouse Git video I've seen, I can pick out Aviva, Dave Alexander, Coco and I think Rich Dart. I assume no Nez-clan folk, right?

14. I'm pretty sure I saw John Billings tagged with Rich Dart or someone else from the band on facebook, and I distinctly recall Wayne being in a pic or two, so it's the same group as 2012-13 minus Christian.

15. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

The band

Fandom Lenses likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

LSP2003 likes this.
  17. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thought of Micky and Peter when my dad and I performed Jericho yesterday at the kids' school, as part of a "songs and stories of Passover" presentation we did.

BeatleStair likes this.
  19. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

One request if they take this tour to the Northwest or northeast this fall:
    Please add "Teardrop City" and "P.O. Box 9847" to the setlist! Probably won't happen but I've always wanted to hear them live. And while I'm going out on a limb thrown in "Auntie's Municipal Court" just for grins lol.

20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

21. BadJack

I'm curious as to how the schtick and "Grizelda" will go over with the UK festival crowd.

22. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

If I could offer them some advice-- drop Grizelda, the solo spots and add Porpoise Song, Early Morning Blues and Greens and anything else psychadelic/folky.

BadJack likes this.
  23. BadJack

Could not agree more. I think the set from last week will get savaged by the UK press.

24. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

One of the bands on the bill-- the polyphonic spree.. already do Porpoise Song sometimes in their show

Wade and Fandom Lenses like this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

They will bop to Grizelda as if the Oasis brothers got back together and played Digsy's Dinner. Grizelda is the Monkees main Ringo song, it'll be cool.

AlienRendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.