Monkees TV series outtakes - what exists?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleStair, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Henry ran a bunch of candid silent footage from Salt Lake City when the guys were on break from filming Head. Some at an amusement park footage with them on a roller coaster with Henry sitting in the front seat of the car filming them. I haven't seen the footage in a long time so I don't recall what else was there. About 3 minutes of it were shown on a Los Angeles music video program, "Friday Night Videos" or something like that, in the early 80's as the show closed and credits rolled. I think I've got that clip buried somewhere on VHS. Supposedly there are about 20 minutes worth that Henry Diltz shot in and around May of 1968.

2. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I think some of that footage is in the HEART & SOUL VIDEOGRAPHY, and the L.A. video show was EN VIVO, hosted by Rodney Bingenheimer. Have that clip on the old MARV II videotape, I think.

pablo fanques likes this.
  3. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Ha! Great memory, Mark! Ah yes! The old MARV tapes!

Then those soooo so stoked for the tragic Pool It! album soon out on Friday Music shall get to see some of it.

4. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

Now if the series was truly cleaned up and re-released I would double dip in a heartbeat. While the Rhino DVDs will do for now, the quality on some of the episodes is worse than their VHS counterparts. I have blu-ray so if it was released in that format I would buy it for sure. I'd love to see outtakes / complete performances of songs (the one for Salesman always intrigued me).

5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Slightly off topic, but has the original Boyce and Hart demo's that appeared in the unaired pilot ever appeared anywhere else? (The one's they're miming to).

6. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Maybe Rhino could license the Monkees name back to SONY, who obviously has amazing and from-the-negative masters to give to IFC, from the stills I've seen, and
    we could get a Blu-ray edition of the series that way.

goodiesguy likes this.
  7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I'd love to see that happen, especially Season 1, a lot of that season has a purple tint to it, especially the intro sequence, which I've tried to color correct, but it almost warrants going in frame by bloody frame.

I've seen a couple of what appear to be HD transfers on YouTube (dunno where they came from) but the detail and colors are far better:

It looks so rich and vibrant there, wheras all the other copies have a very dark and dirty look.

Jose Jones likes this.
  8. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

"They'd often used the Outtakes in the Show Itself",is what the group has said,mostly by Micky,so not many unseen Outtakes exist,I believe.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

There's some "Monkee Stories" Outtakes that were located at the Ending of the Disney Doc Videocassette,none were shown on that 1997 Special..They're on You Tube,BTW.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

To honest, the Monkees may be a "bigger" show than some of the other TV programing that's made the jump to blu-ray.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That would be cool. I imagine they did the whole song, and then used what they wanted.

12. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Sony has the original film materials and the television distribution rights, so I'd bet they could indeed remaster the shows for HD distribution if they wanted. The IFC airings have been a mix of newer and older SD transfers.

The color is good, but it's definitely not real HD!

goodiesguy and Mark Nelson like this.
  13. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Micky & Peter, who are currently touring in the UK, just announced that a complete Monkees TV Series Bluray Box Set is definitely coming out in 2016 for the 50th anniversary! Can't wait!

goodiesguy and Vidiot like this.
  14. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I think that warrants a new thread.

I mean, something's got to break up the monotony of Beatles threads, right? ;)

goodiesguy and Galley like this.
  16. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

This is awesome news, even if a not so awesome price...ouch! Pre-ordered!

17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Looking forward to the Blu-ray!

I can finally retire my DVD versions in the record-player boxes!

18. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I see the BR set includes the film Head also. Limited to 10,000 sets, dig out the credit cards everyone.

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

At $200? No thanks, I don't need a numbered collection. I can wait. I'll "suffer" through watching the DVD's........ Eventually, I WILL have this box though......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.