Mono Hendrix AYE and Axis LPs Coming in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KipB, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KipB

KipB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Forgive me if someone else has already posted this, but yesterday, Bob Merlis, who does pr for Experience Hendrix put out a release saying that Mono LPs of Are You Experienced (amazingly, both us and uk track listings) and Axis will be released in March. From the release:

Concurrent with the March 5 release of People, Hell and Angels, Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings will release 12" vinyl editions of Are You Experienced (both US and UK versions) and Axis: Bold As Love, newly struck on 200-gram audiophile vinyl. Each of these albums is individually numbered and features original artwork and sequencing.

Taken from the original monaural mixes created by Chas Chandler, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Kramer in 1967, with all analog mastering by Bernie Grundman, these much-sought-after mixes of Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold As Love have been unavailable for decades.

Grant, coldethyl, Revolver and 2 others like this.
  2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

CD ?

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Where's the Cd's :( ?

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Needledrops?

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

'Taken from the original monaural mixes created by Chas Chandler, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Kramer in 1967, with all analog mastering by Bernie Grundman, these much-sought-after mixes of Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold As Love have been unavailable for decades.[/quote]

I have a vinyl Classic Records (I think it was Classic, may have been MCA) Mono "Axis" from a few years ago, am I confused or are they ?

Clanceman likes this.
  6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

7. Donutsss

Donutsss Forum Resident

Getting these!

8. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, Classic Records did a mono Axis. It's been available for a number of years. Nice sounding, has the usual BG robust upper midrange energy. Personally, I wish someone else with a less "bright" approach could get a crack at making Hendrix vinyl. (Like Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman, Doug Sax, or the folks at Mofi). Your mileage may vary.

bonifakula likes this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I wouldn't mind a better sounding mono UK pressing of AYE.

10. jude7265

jude7265 Forum Resident

Yes!!! Thank you lord!

And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

My original mono Track is well played ... near some 46 years worth. It's still the most powerful mix.

glea likes this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

me wanty.

Myke likes this.
  13. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I have a vinyl Classic Records (I think it was Classic, may have been MCA) Mono "Axis" from a few years ago, am I confused or are they ?[/quote]

They are. It was Classic records and I have it too.

14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Already have them from my original UK Vinyl so why would I need these, I need a two Cd set with the era related mono singles as well :(

15. Lpone

Lpone Forum Resident

I definitely want to check these out!

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. A real bummer.

shepherdfan, Maidenpriest and zen like this.
  17. Captain Pete

Captain Pete Forum Resident

YES!
    I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that vinyl reissues are just getting better and better, am I?

Looks like this and the upcoming Beatles mono box are going to seriously empty my wallet.

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Let's hope they get them right. If the sound experts here like it, I'm in!

19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Excellent! More mono!!!

20. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I love the Classic Axis, I tend to like a lil bit of top with my music. Will definitely check out the AYE, have an original Reprise MONO copy.

21. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

hmmm...every original mono I've heard of AYE has been postively dreadful. But I really really need these titles on vinyl. I know I'm in the minority but I'd much prefer the stereo mixes. Decisions decisions!

22. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

Great news :)

23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Mono+200G Vinyl+Bernie Grundman = PURCHASE!

Ilovefooty, Lownote30 and noname74 like this.
  24. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

The stereos have already been reissued several times but you're right, the original mono AYE is not good at all so they'll either have to goose it very heavily which will upset the purists or leave it as is which will leave everyone else saying it sounds terrible. Having said that, this is wonderful news - I'd assumed by now that the mono masters of AYE were lost. I don't have any BG masterings I'd in any way call bright and he did a fantastic job on Axis for Classic Records so I'm really looking forward to AYE.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  25. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I would kill for one of these. I just bought the recent Bernie Live at Berkley (all analog) and I think he made a jaw dropping job. Count me in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.