Mono Let It Be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jawilshere, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was there ever a mono version of the Beatles Let It Be album released? Is it any different (other than stereo/mono) from the stereo version?

Thanks.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

There's probably a mono fold-down LP from Brazil but no mono mix was made. Even Spector had given up the cause by 1970 :sigh:

Attached Files:

• b2m.jpg
      b2m.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
  3. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

There is no dedicated mono mix that I'm aware of.

4. Yes, and a damn shame too! Though the stereo here isn't anywhere near as bad as others I've heard from the era.

For example - just put on "Morrison Hotel" this morning, with the DRUMS (for chrissakes) all the way over on the left on "Roadhouse Blues". What the hell were they thinking? Still great, but could be much better with the right mix.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree with you regarding Roadhouse Blues. The drums in Touch Me are all in one channel as well. Sometimes I like mixes like that but it doesn't really suit those 2 tracks. The Roadhouse remix has the drums more centered but the reverb is all wrong. The Touch Me remix is excellent.

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:yikes:

Wow - just found this auction for a UK mono release of "Let It Be":

eBay - UK mono Let It Be!

Presumably this is fold-down??.........

Attached Files:

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Talking of "Let It Be" rarities, I wouldn't mind one of these for my collection:

Attached Files:

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Believe it or not, that reel-to-reel is authentic. Sadly, it is indeed a foldie. Ron

9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am aware of the existence Brazilian mono pressings of Abbey Road and Let it Be. As far as I know, they are fold-downs. I don't have my copy handy, but anyone with a Beatles Recording Sessions book, should check to see if there was a mono mixing session.

10. brainwashed

No mono mixing sessions, even the acetates cut at Apple were stereo. Well, of course, Get Back and Don't Let Me Down were mixed for mono, for single release. Ron

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

An important note about that UK mono "Let It Be" tape. It's a fold down! You also need a 2-track machine to play it at 3 3/4 IPS. It also needs CCIR/DIN playback EQ as well. I wish EMI had done these tapes full track mono at 7 1/2 IPS for broader compatibility with more machines.

12. I have both the Brazilian mono Abbey Road and Let It Be and can confirm they are fold-downs.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's cool. They might be fold-downs but I wouldn't mind having them.

14. Yeah, that's why I tracked them down.... took me a long time to find them in decent shape!

I have the Brazil mono Yellow Submarine LP too, which is also a fold-down (in case anyone was wondering).

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

As is the original UK mono LP :agree:

16. CODOR

CODOR New Member

Wasn't Octopus's Garden mixed to mono on July 18, 1969?

17. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Hi Kent

The reason for them being done like that was the attempt to tap into the popularity of mono domestic tape recorders which generally run at 3 3/4 IPS (9.5 CMS for Europeans) and could replay half track mono.

I owned one when I was very young together with some of the pre-recordeds.

The sound on some is surprisingly good aided by the tape stock.

There would had been a stereo issue at 7 1/2 IPS in quarter track

I like CCIR equalization a lot.

Regards,

18. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Which renders it useless. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't dedicated mono mixes exist for all of the songs on side one?

19. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Hope I'm not threadcrapping. To my recollection all Brazilian mono Beatles LPs are fold-down, perhaps RS and Revolver were dedicated mono mixes (most probably not), but I'm not sure about that. Pepper and White Album were also fold-downs. On the other hand, the first albums, i.e., Beatlemania, Beatles Again, AHDN (Reis do Ie-Ie-Ie), Beatles 65 and Help were released only in mono.

Hope it helps,
    Helio

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Yep :agree:

21. brainwashed

If I wasn't clear, I meant no mono mixes were done for the Let It Be album.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Candy,

I knew they did these for home machines which were half track mono. About CCIR/DIN EQ, I use this EQ in the studio unless the client demands NAB. CCIR is a much better EQ curve in my opinion. I just got a 1/4 track Stereo UK reel of "Let It Be". It sounds superb! I just love full track mono tapes for broader playback compatibility on most decks!

23. brainwashed

Hi Kent... I have a relative in Scotland who always claimed the stereo reels for Let It Be and Abbey Road were superior to the UK album pressings. Would you concur with this? Or do they just have a different soundstage because of the CCIR EQ? Ron

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Just as a rough mix for evaluation purposes.

25. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got Peppers' and you can play them on a four track by just turning off one channel. Probably get a little more bleed through than with a true two track, but it's not bad.

I'll have to try some different eqs, as my preamp has five or six settings, though I don't recall that particular designation.

I knew that Let It Be reel was out there and looked for it periodically, but seeing the price, I think I'll give up on that particular quest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.