Mono Versions of Albums That Are Better Than The Stereo Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I recently got a hold of some mono versions of albums and was wondering which mono version surpass the stereo ones, in your opinion?

:wave:

2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Jefferson Airplane-Surrealistic Pillow

3. Beatles - 'Please Please Me' thru the "White Album", with 'Beatles For Sale' the ONLY exception. Hear the first 3 on vinyl, not the poorly mastered EMI cd's.

Buffalo Springfield - s/t
    The Who Sell Out
    The Who Sing My Generation (UK or other non-US vinyl)
    the Zombies - Oddesey & Oracle
    The Zombies - Begin Here

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

ALL the Columbia Dave Brubeck albums before mono was phased out, particularly 'Time Out' and 'Time Further Out'.

4. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

(I edited this post because I decided it was too gloat-y, and besides, there's already a "long and winding thread" for recently purchased records)

VU and Nico.

The mono version of this is murkier, but way tougher and bassier (word?).

Some people prefer the stereo, I know, but IMO, the mono if this is more true to the spirit of the record.

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Green Tambourine - The Lemon Pipers - Green Tambourine, their biggest hit, packs a punch in mono, the drums got lost in stereo.
    Mamas and Papas - All, except that last Papas and Mamas one are better in mono - with more punch and better interchange between voices.
    Lovin' Spoonful - All better in mono.

6. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced" (Reprise Records)

The U.S. stereo first press electronically separates the original mono tape to create a "stereo" sound. It sounds awful!

SOONERFAN and eflatminor like this.
  7. PetSounds

PetSounds Forum Resident

Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde

john lennonist and SOONERFAN like this.
  8. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I've had a fair few mono's including Stone's Aftermath and Dylan's Highway 61. I normally think of them as just a little different from the stereo, if only because mono makes me focus on the whole composition rather than listen back and forth between speakers to instruments. However, I've got to admit there are textures and differences on Sgt Pepper's that probably make it my fave mono over stereo, with White Album being a striking alternate version of that album.

Zongadude, kevinsinnott and Jack Lord like this.
  9. hauntologist

I have a feeling that this could be a pretty long thread! For vinyl people, at least, most anything that was originally recorded in mono is probably going to sound better in mono.

10. hauntologist

Or then again, maybe this is the end of it. Shows what I know!

11. kraekker

kraekker German Music Physicist & Dadaismus Aficionado

I'm still not eventually sure if I like it REALLY better but the just recently released (new) mono CD-edition "Pink Floyd - Piper of the Gates of Dawn" really shows some nice new insights into the album... altough I think the "normal" stereo release already is a revelation. None the less, some of the (few) "overproductions" such as the swirling channels in "Interstellar Overdrive" are just not there...

12. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

I agree Jackson. I always listen to the mono pressing.

13. George P

Since I don't know which were originally recorded in mono, this thread will hopefully come in handy. :)

14. George P

How about those Capitol boxes? Are those CDs good examples of mono recordings?

15. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I've a couple to mention!

1) Jeff beck 'Truth'
    2) Paul Butterfield Blues Band 'East - West'
    3) Johnny Cash 'Live At Folsom Prison'
    4) Love 'Da Capo' & 'S/T'

And I've a side not to make THE WORST SOUNDING MONO ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!! Winner is Big Brother & Holding Company w/Janis Joplin 1st realease. Oddly enough it was produced by p.Rothschild, but the thing is FULL of sibilance and sound bad.

SOONERFAN and fr in sc like this.
  16. slunky

slunky Forum Resident

Whoa, whoa, there was a mono release of Truth? I've never seen it.

17. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

:agree:

18. Commercial pressings of the mono "Folsom Prison" album must not be very common?

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

The "White" Album..

Michael P likes this.
  20. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Disagree strongly.

Sell Out in stereo is incredible.

21. zen

zen Senior Member

Agreed. To this day, it's the only version I've ever heard, except for some of the tracks on the radio which sound weak in stereo. The mono mixes sound more like a rock band than a pop band.

dave-gtr likes this.
  22. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

I'm rather fond of The Doors S/T mono.

gjuro76 and SOONERFAN like this.
  23. readingm

readingm Senior Member

Pretty bold statement on the Miles. I'm going to have to seek it out. Any specific reason you like it better than the stereo, or is it just the general feel of the mix?

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Theres not too many Monos I prefer where there's a decent stereo mix. A few I can think of anyway. This should be an interesting thread.

The two Beatles 'LPs' I prefer in mono at this point are Rubber Soul & Sgt. Pepper. Their early pre-Help stuff can be better in mono but only on the singles and EP's....IMO. I can't comment on the 'white album' - yet.

Lovin' Spoonful - will get some votes for mono - but I still prefer the stereo mixes in some ways. The monos are nice though.

Jethro Tull - This Was

much of the pre-'68 Bob Dylan catalog - except for Highway 61 which I prefer in stereo.

Kinks - Something Else

Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off (but not Surrealistic Pillow, IMHO!)

13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic World Of....

25. tages

tages Senior Member

The mono LP of "Truth" is incredible!! I don't know if the US got an mono LP or not (pointless, really, when the UK LP sounds so great). It's even got the extra bit at the end of "Bolero" (guitar coda).

I made a CD and played it for a friend who was around back then, and he said "I love this album, but it sounds a little different". I couldn't believe he could tell the difference all these years later. When he heard the end of the mono "Shapes Of Things" his jaw was on the floor!

fr in sc and KipB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.