Mono White Album - Beatles' Involvement and Intent

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cast Iron Shore, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tages

tages Senior Member

Honestly, why would you doubt the author of the actual song? Why does a strike a nerve with you? This is fascinating.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Sir Paul McCartney is notorious for adjusting history to make himself look better.

3. tages

tages Senior Member

And the fact that Paul has been consistent since day one about the subject matter of "Blackbird" has what exactly to do with your statement?

Mr. Explorer and Jack Lord like this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You asked a question.
    I answered it.
    That is exactly what it means.
    Fascinating!

Frank likes this.
  5. tages

tages Senior Member

Except you didn't.

I repeat, the fact that Paul has been consistent since day one about the subject matter of "Blackbird" has what exactly to do with your statement?

I am honestly a bit fascinated!

6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

There would have been riots in here if Jagger were the one thinking about make fans spend more money on purpose.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Just curious but is it the bootleg recording of Paul and Donovan in India where Paul claims he wrote Blackbird about civil rights? If so, I stand corrected but it did seem like something Paul would make up after the fact.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, it's from later in 1968 when Paul was working on Mary Hopkins' debut album in London, which Paul produced and on which Donovan contributed.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

He hasnt been consistent since day one. He didn't start telling that story until decades after the song was released.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

What are your guys on about??? The idea that a song recorded in June 1968 with the lyrics of “Blackbird” wasn’t alluding to civil rights, but was only about a dusky tweety bird, seems ridiculous, willfully blind, to me. Like saying that the Stones song “Sweet Black Angel” was a song about a chained-up heavenly angel who happened to have an ebony hue, and nothing more down to earth.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    905, Mr. Explorer and tages like this.
  11. tages

tages Senior Member

There is audio of him saying it in 1968.

905, SinnerSaint and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. tages

tages Senior Member

Exactly!

905, Mr. Explorer and Stone Turntable like this.
  13. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The Stereo feels definitive and is my go-to.

The Mono sounds loose and has a few interesting bits. George’s songs sound fantastic, which leads me to believe he was deeply involved in the Mono mix.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Not the masses but us stateside Beatle-niks were very much aware of the differences in the mono & stereo mixes it just escalated with Pepper.

Up until the 3rd Beatlemania of the mid-80s mono copys of Pepper & MMT were highly sought out
    collector items.

Granted not like they are today but to say Beatle collectors were ignorant to mono & stereo mixes until the Rareties LP is unwarranted and not factual.

Lennons remark about mono & stereo in the mid 60s hipped me to the differences.

He was specifically speaking in reference to PPM & WTB.

He said when you take something originally mixed in mono and remix for stereo you take the guts out of the music.

Obviously he was right.

I actually began comparisons in 1966 with Revolver.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Dan The Man1 likes this.
  15. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Your assumption that PM edicate would allow for him to refer to African-American as a blackbird is absurd.

The term is a racist derogatory term that is almost as offensive as the other racist slang some use.

It would be even more adsurd if he did in fact say it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. tages

tages Senior Member

What on Earth?

905, numer9, sekaer and 1 other person like this.
  17. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident Thread Starter

It sounds like there's no clear consensus/evidence re: which mix they intended to be definitive, or if they intended one to be so.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Exactly! Both mixes were intended to be definitive. The first 6 weeks of the sessions had George Martin and The Beatles producing the sessions with Geoff Emerick being the engineer. However, these first 6 weeks saw them working on just a handful plus of songs. Revolution 1 which morphed into Revolution 9, Don't Pass Me By, Blackbird, Everybody's Got Something To Hide, Good Night, Ob La Di, Ob La Da, Revolution (fast version) and the initial session for Cry Baby Cry. Sexy Sadie was also recorded during these sessions, but was re-recorded after Emerick quit. The bulk of the remaining recordings were produced by George Martin with Ken Scott producing. However, in September 1968 George Martin went on vacation/holiday until early October and the following songs were produced by Chris Thomas, with Ken Scott engineering:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Helter Skelter (remake- album version)
    Glass Onion
    I Will
    Birthday
    Piggies
    Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Typically, but certainly not definitively, a song was mixed into mono AFTER it was finished. This wasn't always the case. Sometimes stereo mixes were done first or at the same session. Many mixes were re-done in the final 24 hour (16/17 October 1968) mixing session... seeing the Beatles, except for George who was in the US, supervise ALL mixes... and also help create the crossfades and track listing. Mono mixes were still being done on this very last day. As were some stereo mixes too. Over the previous week lots of stereo mixes were done, some months AFTER they were mixed to mono. However some songs were still being mixed to mono, or remixed to mono. Again, there were instances when the stereo mix was finished before the mono. You need Lewisohn's books to fully understand how this all went down.

Another issue is that eight-track came into the discussion. First recording at Trident Studios in August, then at EMI in early September. So not only were there different combinations of staff, but 4-track and 8-track recordings. Around this time songs were not automatically mixed to mono upon completion, though occasionally they still were (i.e. Birthday, Honey Pie)... typically left days or weeks after recording was completed. Probably due to time constraints, mixing sessions were booked exclusively... though sometimes they followed an overdub session. Typically the Beatles were present for all, or the vast majority, of these sessions. Some mixing anomalies occurred because different crews worked on different mixes, sometimes months apart.... sometimes the mixes were done concurrently and they knew there were differences. Purposefully done so? Laziness? We'll never know definitively. Ron

19. One thing that's not meant here as anything more than a bit of information. For the fans who are not into these sorts of things and who ignore it, a blackbird is not just a bird that's black. It's not a "black bird", its a blackbird, an actual common European species bearing this common English name. (Paul McCartney was somehow into birdwatching as a youth.). It belongs to a bird family which has a tendency to sing well into the night, similar to our American Robin.

Members from North America who know about common birds will be familiar with a few Blackbird species of our own, even though these do not belong in the same family of species as the Blackbird from the UK and Europe. But for people from other countries (or even from French-speaking Canada) it might not be as obvious.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Derek Slazenger and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Not saying that this is in any way gospel or exactly true to fact, but given their often stated preference for mono to that point, my preferred way about thinking about the two mixes is that the band made the stereo for what they perceived this newly developing market wanted, and they made the mono mostly for themselves...

Keith V and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Threads locked ?

22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

In the Beatles Recording Sessions book, Lewisohn notes that The Beatles got Stereo copies of the album around the time of release.

23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

False.

24. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

What part is false? They were also present for the Stereo mixing of Pepper?

25. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

They participated in stereo mix of 5 songs on that album.

DRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.