Mono White Album on Compact Disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been a Beatles collector for the last eight years, one thing that keeps eluding me is the mono version of the White Album. I know I can obtain the vinyl on Ebay, but I'm interested in finding a cd (official of ROIO, I don't think the mono white album was ever officially released on cd). Does anyone know where I could obtain a copy of this?

Thanks for any information!

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hi PL, these are available at times on Ebay although they're not legit.

As you said it was never officially released in a mono form.

What's ROIO??? I'm a little slow with some of these acyronyms.

mud-

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Recording Of Illegitimate Origin.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

:laugh: Thanks, Sam!

mud-

5. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I bought a Japanese numbered edition for $100 back in '94 which is stunning.
    The -exact- same packaging from the glossy top opening sleeve to the black inners, poster and pics. Only thing was the discs said Apple but there was no green logo. However, the sound was absolutely top notch and I doubt if it could really be improved without modern remixing, and even that would come up short somehow, I'm certain.
    It's come out in double jewel boxes as well but I have no idea if they sound as good.
    I say look for the one I got...who knows? You may get it at a better price! (However, I'm not complaining, this version is one of the best 'underground' cds I've ever bought, and I've bought plenty)

6. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I saw a double boot a while back that was made to look like a MoFi gold disc, with the banner across the top reading "Original Monaural Recording." I debated picking it up, but I felt $30 was pricey. I probably should have given it a listen, but I didn't.

:rolleyes:

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Another great source for the mono White Album (and the rest of the mono albums) is the Japanese Another Phase box set. It contains the first four albums in stereo, everything between Help and Yellow Subamarine in mono and a bonus disc of A Collection of Beatles Oldies (can't remember if it is mono or stereo). Every disc is sourced (if I remember correctly) from the commercially available EMI reel-to-reel tapes and comes in its own individual sleeve and it is housed in a black flip-top box that replicates the currently available Singles Collection and EP Collection. It is so well done that to the casual buyer (and even a seasoned collector), it looks as if it could be a legitimate set.

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I have all the mono Beatles as described above. IMO, they are very nice and worth the price of admission! :thumbsup:

-Jeffrey

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I have the "Another Phase" box. It's a great package.

There was a re-issue with a bonus disc: The Hollywood Bowl.

In additon these exist:

Beat Version
    Dr Ebbetts
    Millenium Edition

mud-

10. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I wish they had issued that for the 30th anniversary, instead of the same ol' remaster albeit in different packaging.

Brian

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

All the WA boots from the Beat Label onwards are of decent quality...

12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I have the Beat version and I'm pretty content with it. It's better than no copy at all. I usually put the stereo version on anyway.

I haven't heard any others though.

13. Michael

The Beat's Cee Dee on top end of the pile...and a silver disc at that! I usually spin that one when I'm in a mono White mood.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Please note that the reason this thread is remaining open is because the posters are describing the various CD versions to you. No one is telling you where to get one because that is against Forum rules.

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Shoulda went for it.

I paid $50 for mine and I've never regretted it.

Sound is top notch and EMI will probably never reissue it.

16. naZri

naZri New Member

Is it true 'The Beatles White Album' is the best Beatles album?

I'm going to buy 'Beatles #1' compilation but I not sure is it worth it or not.

17. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

They are ALL worth it in my opinion!!!!!

18. Michael

"Best" is very subjecive...The Whte Album is a great album...It all matters what Beatles time period you were exposed to first, as that era will hold a special place in your heart. I was exposed at the age of 10 and never recovered! LOL! Every album is great to me...You really can't go wrong with any Beatles album. Beatles 1 is not the greatest sounding Cee Dee...The song content is fine. The Red and Blue Cee Dee's are also good!

19. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

If you are going to purchase your first Beatles record, then I suggest Beatles 1. You will get a taste of all periods of their music and then you can branch out from there. Even better than Beatles 1 for a new fan would be the red (1962-1966) and blue (1967-1970) double cd sets if they fit your budget.

20. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

What about Past Masters Vol 1 and 2? You'd get all the songs that aren't on any of the regular albums so if you wanted more albums there wouldn't be any overlaps, unlike the Red/Blue collections. Plus the sound is better than Beatles 1.

21. Michael

Yes I agree, that's also a great choice! I wasn't sure if they're still in print? I got mine with that Black Roll Top Dinosaur box years back...Definite key songs on those and yes...good sound what Beatles 1 should've sounded like!.

22. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I just checked amazon and they're still listed.

23. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I've always heard ROIO stood for

Recording
    Of
    Indeterminate
    Origin

A bit more plausible denial, I guess.

24. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

The Mirror Spock CDs are the best, afaik

Getting back to the topic of this thread, what is yer favorite Mono White Album on CD, the Mirror Spock set is about the only one I listen to anymore, because it sounds better than the others I have. At least, that's mho! :)

FFF

25. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I always thought it was record of indescriminate origin.

I have the Dr. Ebbett's and the Millenium Remasters mono White Album. I didnt know Mirrorspock had one out. I like the MR version myself. I really dont listen to the mono version that much though. It is worth having, but I like the stereo better. Then again, Savoy Truffle is my favorite song on the whole album. The stereo mix is just better on most songs to me. Pepper on the other hand is a must have in mono and stereo.

If I were starting over with Beatles, the Yellow Submarine Songtrack would be the first purchase. The sound on this disc is great and it has some great songs. 1967-1970 is worth having as is Past Masters 1 and 2. After that, Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and MMT. After that Abbey Road and Let It Be, then the early stuff. That is just the way I would buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.