Monoblocks vs Two Stereo Amps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrewDrinkRepeat, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that generally a pair of monoblocks is preferred to a single stereo amp, but would two stereo amps be preferable over a pair of monos in order to bi-amp? Or would the advantages of monoblock amp architecture outweigh the advantages of biamping?

And if you're running two stereo amps, would you biamp them "horizontally or vertically" -- meaning, would you use both channels of one amp for each speaker, or would you use both amp's left outputs for the left speaker and the two right outputs for the right?

For whatever reason I was thinking about this today... I have no immediate plans to implement either setup, but I'm curious.

2. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

When I had 2 B&K ST-202 powering up my speakers I went with lows on one amp and highs on the other. I now use 4 mono blocks to achieve the same thing.

Don't know why I posted this as I have zero comment on the advantages etc. I just typed it because it happened.

Mister Charlie and jupiterboy like this.
  3. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey, all observations are welcome! :)

How do you like the Emotivas? I've definitely considered buying their monoblocks, just keep putting it off... at this point I'm really waiting for their tube amps as I'd really like my next upgrade to be tube amplification for my front L-R (I'll keep my Arcam SS multi-channel amp to power the C and rears).

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Maybe not always. I am thinking of the darTZeel and the D'Agostino amps, both of which I have heard several time and they knocked my socks off. I do have monoblocks though. Sorry, not really answering your question.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It makes no difference in it's simplest form, Mono x 2 or Stereo x 1. That is because all that guaranties is that the number of channels is equal. You have to bring quality and power into the equation to get any idea of what might be best in which application. There are also different levels of stereo amps, some are basically two independent mono circuits, sharing only a transformer and a chassis. Others can be true, fully mono circuits, each with their own power transformers and sharing only a chassis. Once that configuration reaches a certain size and or weight, it makes sense to separate the amplifier circuits into 2 separate chassis, thus creating true monoblocks. So it is possible that the circuits and capabilities are identical and it becomes either a matter of practicality or marketing.

The quality aspect should not be overlooked. It is possible and even common for an exceptional stereo amplifier to be compared to a more utilitarian pair of monoblocks. Sound quality is not just about size, power, and number of chassis. That might look impressive to some and overdone to others. Quality is timeless and always delivers a better result, when all else is equal. Certainly, you could have a great quality pair of monoblock amps. So if each form is equal, what would you choose to bi-amp with?

Bi-amping requirements are determined by the loudspeaker. It is not necessary in most situations. Getting a better amp or a better and more powerful amp will accomplish the same thing in a "passive bi-amp" set-up, where no electronic crossover is used. In the case where there is an electronic x-over being used to separate the high Frq info from the low freq info, then bi-amping can offer increased power and headroom to a demanding loudspeaker load. Determining which configuration is best, we need to just re-read the first two paragraphs here. Basically, you can get more power into the same size chassis with a mono design as you might have twice the space as a stereo amp in the same size chassis for additional circuitry and heat sinking. The more powerful amplifiers can be used to power the bass drivers as that is where the more power will be demanded. The high freq range could be driven with a smaller amp, a stereo amp should be plenty in most cases. So that is a vertical, active, bi-amp set-up and the one that yields the greatest dynamic range. By connecting two stereo amps horizontally (dedicated left and right), you might reduce some channel cross-talk but you don't gain too much in power availability.
    -Bill

Larry Johnson and Mister Charlie like this.
  6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Someday, I'd like to have a set of four mono blocks with balanced inputs and a preamplifier with two balanced stereo outputs.

7. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I like them very much. Clean, low noise, cool running, headroom to die for. I mean I never ever seem to run out of power with these amps. I have the UPA-1 model. My Carver AL-III's really love power, and the previous B&K ST-202's were usually up to the task, but the Emotiva's simply do it better. I ended up with 600 Watts per speaker. The last two weeks has been Orff fest, Carmina Burana to be exact. Talk about dynamics....so quiet most of the time and them BOOM, it gets going in a hurry. The Emotiva amps breeze through this stuff with ease. They stay delicate nicely, and really shine through when pushed. Sure, maybe someday I will change it all up, especially when I get my Fisher 400 refurbished, but until then, the UPA's are perfect.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

IMHO bi-amping appropriately has the potential to sound better unless you have monster monoblocks that will never distort at your higher listening volumes.
    The reason is that the power demands for midrange / tweeter drivers are orders of magnitude less than the power demands of woofer drivers. It takes much more power to create low frequency energy because of the air motion to recreate the wave- you have to spend energy to charge the voice coil, move the piston and cone by the required excursion. In contrast, higher frequencies need very small excursions on drivers with very small voice coils.
    What this boils down to is that if your low and high frequency drivers are on the same amplifier, when the demands of the bass start straining the amplifier into distortion, the distortion will be audible in the midrange / high frequencies. Noticeably audible. If you bi-amp, the bass driving amplifier can start distorting but it will not be audible in the mid and high frequencies. The amp that drives the mids/ tweeters will be coasting along on cruise control and will never be strained or pushed into distortion.
    What you hear is a much smoother, cleaner presentation that can play louder and with more clarity.
    When your low frequency / bass amplifier is out of gas- you won't hear distortion, you just start hearing that the bass will not increase in volume because the amp has reached its limit.
    Truly the way to go, especially with full range speakers. I'll never have it any other way in my main system- unless we are talking (4) mono blocks!

izeek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.