Monoprice Electric Guitars?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maui_musicman, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Get a Fender Blues Junior. Only amp you'll ever need.

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

As others have noted, reading this forum can get expensive. Just bought a honey burst one meself.

JohnG likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It is one sweet guitar, shocking quality at that price.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

If you can, I think the "NOS" version of the Blues, Jr. they sold (still sell?) is a bit of a step up imo. I really like my Blues, Jr. NOS, and I guess I don't "need" my '59 Reissue Basman, but I don't want to be without it, that's the "tone" for me.

5. JohnG

My Schecter also arrived today. Once again, just a stunning looking guitar and its set up out of the factory very nicely.

6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

The good Harmonys from the 60s were US made

Lownote30 likes this.
  7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

doesn't look that bad but LPs should not be bolt-on, IMO. I sort of collect guitars, mostly oddballs. Some of the cheapies are good. For example Squier has a J. Mascis jazzmaster that is very good for under $400. Some of the Epiphones made in Korea at the Peerless plant are very nice. But, as a general rule, it is better to save up a little $ and get a better guitar than to get several low $ ones. Like, you will play a $600 guitar (especially something vintage made in USA or Japan) more than 3 $200 ones. Just IMO. And it will hold it's value as well.

8. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Good, being a relative term. The best of them weren't terrible but none were as good as any Gibson or Martin made before Gibson took its first quality dive in the seventies or Martin in the eighties or nineties. They had thick baseball bat necks and usually nonadjustable "truss rods"-I was told they used worn out bandsaw blade, ground smooth for the "steel reinforced neck"- and always needed considerable work to play.

9. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Well certainly no Gibson or Martin, but some were pretty good. I have one of the little sort of jaguar copies (model was called the bobkat I think) and it is a good player. has those mid-rangey dearmond pickups that don't sound at all modern. I also have a tube amp they made, the cabinet is pretty wimpy but with the jenson speakers and all tube, and not much power it really creates a cool sound. kind of makes a guitar sound like a piano or something.

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This Ibanez will be $119 on Monday at Guitar Center. Comes in white as well. Admittedly not for everyone but man...this is really a great guitar for the price.

[​IMG]

The Rush Fan likes this.
  11. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Update on this is I grew tired of waiting for Monoprice to release the products, so I picked up a Blackseed Magnolia for half price brand new.
    http://www.blackseedguitars.com/product/product-1-2/
    Seems like a really solidly built guitar. Mahogany body and neck, dual humbuckers, very quiet electronics, ebony headstock and fretboard.
    Plays really sweet. Never heard of the company but a friend bought two and had to sell one, still new with the plastic over the pickups.
    For $250.00 not a bad deal.

sublemon likes this.
  12. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

There are half a dozen or more companies selling these guitars in this range and from what I have seen most are comparable. I've bought stuff from GuitarFetish and Saga with good results. I think most of these come out of the same plants.

13. Lonson

For my next guitar I might try the Agile Harm 1 30" scale (the one that is E to E). Seems quite nice. . . cheaper than a Fender Pawnshop Bass VI . . . . We'll see. I have to concentrate on moving across the country first. I trust Agile quality, I'm deeply impressed with my Agile fretless.

14. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I went to the Santa Clara, CA store at around 11:40 on Thursday morning (they open at 11:00) and they didn't have any, so I ordered one like the one in the picture right there on the store. Free shipping to my house, got a shipping email and should get here on Wednesday. I also think it's a really good price for a great guitar and am looking forward to playing it!

Synthfreek likes this.
  15. JohnG

I also ordered a Monoprice "strat" since I was so impressed with the "les Paul".

Mister Charlie likes this.
  16. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

How is this tuned? Does it use Bass VI strings?

17. Lonson

There are two models, one of them set up to be tuned as a baritone guitar, the other as a Bass VI, that's the one I'd be after. Apparently yes, you can use Bass VI strings.

18. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I would think a 30" scale would be too long to tune it as a standard bari. What is the difference between them, just the nut? Or is there a different bridge?

19. Lonson

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd advise against buying batteries there. I got four of their 9v alkaline batteries just because I needed a few and was shopping there for some cheap cable adapters. That was only a couple of months ago and today I needed to use one. Three were leaking and horribly corroded. The fourth looked OK but was dead when I tried it.
    -Bill

PhilBiker likes this.
  21. Lonson

Nice to know. I've only ever bought one guitar there, but it was a real bang for buck deal, beautiful guitar in ever way.

22. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

The person who knows less about guitars than possibly any other person alive wants to know which of the monoprice guitars is more or less a Strat knockoff? Or are neither?

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I have a 1962 Harmony H-22 bass, and it says made in the U.S.A. right on the trussrod cover. That thing has some seriously awesome tone!

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

If you think this is bad...go on over to some of the guitar forums like The Gear Page or LP Forums. The GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) will be unbearable!:D

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Maybe this is better time of the day to ask.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.