Monterey Pop Festival Recordings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by statcat, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. statcat

statcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering why some of the full sets exist for certain artists (not all of it commercially released though obviously) but for example a band like The Paupers there's absolutely nothing. I see a setlist online but you can't actually hear the performance. For Steve Miller Band and Quicksilver Messenger Service there's only one song. There's some other performances like this too. Was the entire festival recorded? I never heard the full set by Country Joe and the Fish until recently so I was surprised when I found this on youtube.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I am personally hoping for a high-quality collection of all of David Crosby's between-song banter and rants.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The CJ&Fish material was on the 20th Anniversary radio special which was released in Italy as gray market five cd set.

4. statcat

you can hear all of this but it's not officially released

5. ShockControl

Yes, but I want the banter/rants all together, indexed into a single track, without having to suffer through the group's sloppy performances! :righton:

ooan likes this.
  6. statcat

I could slap that together in a few minutes if you really want :laugh:

GerryO and ShockControl like this.
  7. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

A second song for Steve Miller showed up on the Monterey Blu-ray and its on his upcoming box set; there is also a 2nd circulating QMS song in excellent quality. It is too bad we didn't a complete Monterey Pop like a complete Woodstock as Monterey was a much more controlled environment and, so far all the bands, except the Byrds came across good to excellent.

walrus and Tim Bucknall like this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

"Havin' Fun With Crosby On Stage". It'd sell better than Elvis's.

Rupe33, walrus, Tim Bucknall and 10 others like this.
  9. ShockControl

Actually, I'm thinking a compilation album of delusional rants during onstage performances might sell!

Tim Bucknall and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I’d say The Byrds’ set is a lot better than The Mamas and The Papas. And that was officially released! Both groups had miking issues.

Of course Neil noshowed for the Springfield set and Croz subbed.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

The Byrds mike issues were only that the recordings didn't pick up Hillmans vocals or Hugh's trumpet but they are both out front on the audience tape. The Mama's and Papas backing band was hot at least, the Byrds sounded like they hand rehearsed at all

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  12. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I thought the Byrds were ok up until ‘So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star,’ which was just a disaster.

The Clarence White era live band were fantastic in comparison.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Listen to the beginning of Lady Friend. Mike and Roger are not even close to being in time with each other, and it's downright awful. And Crosby shouts the entire show...he's in terrible voice.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  14. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I just watched some of the 3 DVD criterion set the other night. Boy that bum note the bassist hits at the worst possible moment during the Mamas & Papas performance of "Monday Monday" made me unable to look at the tv, cringing. :D And Denny D should have probably thought it through a little bit more regarding what to wear. Yeesh!

I always get so excited about the Byrds but yes, what I've seen of their set is underwhelming. The Springfield with Crosby & No Young is confusing and disappointing. Nothing against Crosby it's just some of the only existing live footage of the BS and there's no Neil :shake:

Tim Bucknall and seed_drill like this.
  15. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

No idea of how much of the festival was captured. The recording was done to Wally Heider's 8 track tape recorder (using 7 tracks for the music and 1 for camera sync).

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Sadly, the very first song performed at the show wasn't captured at all on film, as the crew were still checking their equipment when The Association kicked off with 'Enter The 'Young' and they only started filming from the second song onwards...
    That said, it's the Group With No Name that I'd love to see/hear from the weekend, featuring former MFQ and Association members playing a short set... but sandwiched in between Janis and Buffalo Springfield (off the top of my head) they didn't really stand a chance...

Tim Bucknall and Aftermath like this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hey joe is a mess too

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  18. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I'm not so sure its the full set they did but there as a radio broadcast from 1988 that had performances such as Country Joe, Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield and Simon and Garfunkel that didn't make it onto the dvd or the box set that came out in the 90s and vice versa. Other recordings such as Moby Grape have also trickled out through the years. As for footage, Pennabaker says on the commentary track to the dvd that he often only filmed one song from each band to save footage.

19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

for my tastes Monterey is just the best, better than Woodstock or any other festival I've heard over the years.
    It's an historical tragedy that Michelle's mic was out for so much, live Mamas Papas is oh so rare...
    In '67 it was all so fresh and new, the performers were really on their game all things considered and thankfully there wasn't a lot of rain and mud.
    I still wonder if Laura Nyro's set was captured and just lost somewhere...
    ….which brings me to another thing, Monterey had world class entertainment and just the artist roster blows my mind. Seriously..Otis Redding, Laura, Simon and Garfunkel...the only thing that would have made it better would be if you had the Stones and Fabs there....but you had Brian Jones introduce Jimi to the world, strolling with Nico through the crowd....

you can keep Woodstock.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Criterion DVD set has one and a half Nyro songs. She was not well received.

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have that and she was received ok, she herself thought she wasn't, but the soundtrack shows a polite crowd.

Tim Bucknall, ooan, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Never understood why S&G have blocked inclusion of their set on the officially released material. It's as good a set as some they have released.

Moby Grape can be found on Long Gone. I'm assuming that since we're past 50 years that these recordings are now public domain in the EU.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I certainly didn't hear the "boos" that I had read about.

24. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

The Laura Nyro footage is so great to see. The long jam with Al Kooper singing is the low point for me- it wouldn't be a big deal if there was more footage of everybody else's performances. Nothing against Al either :) but I can't imagine him looking back fondly to that vocal performance. (I believe it's on one of the bonus discs anyway)

25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Its weird he did a song the Blues Project also did that weekend. Fans of the band must have been thoroughly confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.