Montrose - Montrose and Paper Money Deluxe Editions coming in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sammy was the holdup for a Montrose tour in the end. They did some select shows, or sometimes a few encores where the original band would reform for a few songs. But each time that they tried to do a string of shows with the all original members, Sammy was busy with this or with that. And so it never happened. I blame him for being a jerk and stalling on a reunion until it became impossible.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

To me, Sammy seems like a nice guy, and Ronnie might be the one to blame, here.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

No way. Sammy is the rich business guy and musician with lots going on. He's not to blame or a bad guy, he just has other things to do. Ronnie is the guy who needs the money and that gig is the best thing he will ever get.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I'm a big Ronnie Montrose fan (Open Fire is one of my all-time favorites). He was an very hard guy to work with. Although he was extremely talented, Ronnie's problems made him quite volatile.

Although I'm not sure what happened years ago in this particular reunion, Ronnie managed to push away almost every person who was ever close to him.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Finch Platte and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ronnie is no longer living.

6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I know that. When he passed away I listed my Speed Of Sound limited edition cd of 500 signed by Ronnie on Ebay.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Great album!
    What did you get for it on Ebay?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I don't know either of 'em personally, but, just supposition, both of 'em are kind of tempermental and headstrong. And at the same time both are nice guys too. Really similar and both lived in the same area too. I see no blame here. Sammy and Ronnie truly loved each other and hated each other but, in the end the love came through. No blame, this is life. I see no villans only two musicians with strong points of view. Both good guys. But not easy to get along with all the time, i think. Just my two cents.

Sammy should do a tour with Church and Carmacie, this would be really cool and it keeps Ronnies music alive. Sammy and Ronnie were like brothers. Like Ray and Dave. Needed each other, did their best stuff with each other and would hit each other with a Les Paul in a sec..... ;)

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Normally yes, it was Ronnie who broke up the classic band to begin with and is known for abruptly following his and only his muse. But in the case of the reunion potential, and the short bits of gigs that they did do 6 or 8 years ago, it was always Sammy being the hold up, I followed it closely because I saw the original band back when the first album was new, and really wanted to see that reunion happen.

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

If you search You Tube there is a clip with Ronnie and Sammy jamming together and the banter is priceless. You can see the tension coming from both of 'em. Sammy says something about what you said, Ronnie firing him. That tension between the two still there all these years later.

11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Sammy Hagar: Montrose doubted my motives

Finch Platte and Comet01 like this.
  12. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Bonddm likes this.
  13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It was still sealed and I think I got 80 dollars and it took months to sell as I recall, not a quick sell. One guy kept emailing me begging to sell it to him cheaper. That guy was desperate. :D

14. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

He was basically fired from his own band in the 70s. I saw one of those shows in 2005 and it was great. Someone passed a copy of the self titled album on vinyl to the stage and Sammy signed it and got the other 3 to sign it too, which I thought was cool. Sammy did a set with his band and then Montrose came out and played for like 45 minutes. The Clarkson, MI, show I saw is "out there" on the Web.

Ronnie's last album 10x10 is an enjoyable listen and Sammy is on that one. The original band also reformed on Sammy's Marching to Mars album for one song.

15. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

The Montrose album is an absolutely spectacular deluxe edition all around! Paper Money is also essential, the sound quality is amazing for the live tracks.

16. How funny. I was just listening to these last night. Terrific reissues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.