Monty Python: Do you find it funny or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MusicalHeaven, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I think for them you either like them and find the humor amazing or you stare at the screen and find it anything but. The same could be said for a lot of British humor though in that you either find it hilarious or not at all. What do you think?

One day I watched "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" in a college class and some were roaring and quoting lines through the credits and I sat there with a blank stare wondering what was so funny and when was the funny part going to start.

Benno123 likes this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I've only seen the first few episodes of the show, plus some of the famous sketches. I didn't find it uproariously funny, but I didn't stare at the screen either. The main thing I enjoyed was their ability to string the sketches together.
    Most British comedies I've watched cracked me up though, like Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served and Fawlty Towers.

EdgardV, Dave and anthontherun like this.
  3. And now for something completely different.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Monty Python is my all-time favourite sketch comedy series. Love it!!! :righton:

Chad75, drasil, Tuco and 8 others like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Love it!!!
    And been liking it since I saw it first time in some point of 80's.
    Truly essential part of wonderful british humor, but the show is not everyone’s cup of tea...either you get it or not.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There's sort of a stereotype/generalization out there that Monty Python has a mostly male-oriented fan base, and that women don't find it funny and/or don't "get it"....

Most of my male friends are fans, but I can only think of a couple of my female friends who appreciate the brilliance of Python humour. I've always joked that if I ever meet a cute single girl who can quote Monty Python dialogue, I'll have to marry her. ;)

Rufus McDufus and Drifter like this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've always found it to be hilarious, but I guess I could see how some might not click with the sensibility.

levi likes this.
  8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Outrageously funny (and I saw Holy Grail, which was my first Python exposure also, some time before being able to watch Flying Circus). But then again I find most British comedies to be quite funny (despite being American).

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I loved them 35 years ago, especially when stoned, but haven't watched any since then. Ironically, I was just looking at their Blu rays mere moments ago. Doubt I'll buy one though.

10. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Like Rocker says - "I've always joked that if I ever meet a cute single girl who can quote Monty Python dialogue, I'll have to marry her." I have always thought the same. I'm still looking (even though it is moot).

This winter I watched all the episodes in order to make sure I see any that I have never seen.

11. Sherry Darling

Sherry Darling Lost in a lost world.

Its only a flesh wound!!!!
    Yes yes yes oh yessssssssssssssssss!!!
    :p

12. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I have seen many allegedly hilarious TV shows that I didn't find funny at all, but Monty Python's Flying Circus is not one of them. Monty Python are uproariously funny. My wife thinks so too. Monty Python's Flying Circus and the MP related Fawlty Towers and Ripping Yarns are among our biggest (and most-watched) television comedy favourites.

showtaper likes this.
  13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Funny then, not so much now.

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It was funny then, it's funny now, it's funny ever.

15. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Very funny, brilliant and silly at the same time. I think some might be put off by the type of fan you run into who loves reciting the routines, which grates on me to no end. Most folks tend to know HOLY GRAIL (the biggest offender in terms of routines fans like to quote), but the show is a treasure trove of great skits and bits, and the albums revolutionize the medium of "comedy album" as much as the show did for TV.

levi likes this.
  16. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

They are great. The original series was hysterical. I used to watch it late at night on a PBS affiliate in Cleveland. The movies are great too. My favorite one is probably Meaning of Life (and I know I'm in the minority there).

Rufus McDufus and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  17. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I think the Monty Python crew are some of the funniest people on this planet. I giggled my way through the entire series on DVD again last year.

Michael likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought that only applied to the Three Stooges and "Jackass"! :)

I never thought about potential gender differences in terms of Python appreciation - if it's there, I suspect it's not as severe as the ones I mentioned above.

Me? I never liked the Stooges at all, and I can't stand the "Jackass" stuff, but I enjoy Python. Can't say I LOVE Python but I enjoy the series/movies...

19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Love Monty Python! (And in case anyone cares, I like the Stooges, but you couldn't pay me enough to watch that Jacka** s**t.)

Some Python sketches go on too long, but I find the irreverence extremely funny.

Ministry of Silly Walks
    Bicycle Repairman
    Fish-Slapping Dance
    The Upper-Class Twit of the Year competition
    and so on...

footprintsinthesand, Dave and levi like this.
  20. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I do not know anyone who doesn't find them hysterical.

zobalob, waxtomcat and MilesSmiles like this.
  21. No, it's true - the only real female Python fans I've met were in my immediate family! Big fan here myself too, with all the movies and complete TV show on DVD.

Oh, and while I've no use for the Three Stooges I kinda like Jackass. It's got such a Wile E Coyote manaiacism and go-for-broke attitude...

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  22. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I love Monty Python's but I think I laugh harder at Fawlty Towers.

23. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I find the Pythons to be absolutely hilarious, but I grew up watching them on PBS back in the Seventies.

I haven't met many women that like their humor.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  24. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I need to be in your social circle.:righton:

25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

More than enough hits to accept the misses.

Like so many things, creating good comedy involves taking chances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.