Moody Blues 2017 Reunion Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Om, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Um, no. But I'm sure you expected me to say that :)

zelox likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In other words "no comment."

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think that's the safest route and implication, so as not to make empty promises or raise expectations.

Big Pasi and Dave like this.
  4. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Now now, tell the truth Carl. You'll be the first one in line when the tickets go on sale. :uhhuh:

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I haven't bought a ticket to see a '60s act since about 1975. I have been gifted a few times, generally to be disappointed with how programmed and slick the performances have become.

6. pool_of_tears

What's this "we"? Do you have a turd in your pocket? If these reunions bother you, ignore them. You don't have to like these things, but don't crap on the thread, man.

How do you know these guys' financial portfolios? Perhaps these guys intend to take advantage of a golden anniversary, and considering their ages, may realize the opportunity shouldn't be overlooked. :)

Gregory Earl and No Bull like this.
  7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It is too easy to call every act that has a long career a "nostalgia act". And most times its a cliche label. In your example, the Eagles had new material with Long Road Out of Eden, and they played a lot of tunes from it, but the audience responds more to the older stuff because people these days do not listen to newer material like they did when these acts first appeared. Today's radio does not play their new material and if you don't hear it on a late night show or a commercial, you don't hear it. How many fans of artists like Elton John even know that he's continued to put out albums over the past 20 years? We do, but Joe Average is more apt to rebuy or download Goodbye Yellow Brick Road than try Wonderful Crazy Night.

It is demeaning to call these acts with longevity nostalgia. If they played all new stuff, the audience would be very unhappy, and if they play all the old stuff they probably are sick of playing, people are quick to dismiss them as nostalgia acts. Sure, the audience wants to relive the good old days and the legacy acts that can still produce and are capable of performing are more than worthy of doing just that. But calling them a tribute band when they ARE the band is pretty stupid, IMHO.

No one calls a performance of "Beethoven's 9th" by the Boston Symphony a nostalgia piece.

8. pool_of_tears

Watching and Waiting, for me

Defrance and gramfan like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've seen enough of them to know they are not what they once were.

ronm likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not really. Springsteen is not a nostalgia act (even if the current tour might be construed a nostaglic tour). He records regularly, and integrates a generous amount of newer material into his concerts.

The Eagles, in contrast, recorded only one album of new material in the more than two decades since they reformed. Their setlist for those two decades was mostly a stagnant best of with the exception of the era immediately around the new album. So, yes, a nostalgia act.

Elton has tried to retain some relevance as a recording act. But in concert he has mostly gone for the easy money for a long time now--all the same hits, perfunctorily performed, along with maybe a song or two from his latest. So in concert he's mostly a nostalgic act now.

So Springsteen proves you can continue to move forward late in your career, even in concert. The Eagles and Elton demonstrate that it's tempting to take the easy money.

11. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Have you heard.

BarneyRubble likes this.
  12. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I don't know man. IMO it's unfair to say they're "taking the easy money". What difference does it make that someone continues to make new music and some don't? Most of these fans that go to see these shows are going to see the artist play the, "easy money part of the program". But I don't think it's that "easy" to do those same songs night after night. It's probably harder than we know.
    Most fans don't care about new material no matter how good it is and even in Bruce's case it's not up to competing with his earlier catalog.
    And hey, what album is Springsteen and his band touring for right now?

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you're touring a greatest hits set that is pretty much stagnant and you've been doing that for years, then you're touring as a nostalgia act.

If that's what you want to do, go for it.

And if as a concertgoer you're happy with that, go for it.

But it's far easier to do the same show of hits over and over again than it is to work up new songs with the band. And it's far easier as a performer to present the guaranteed favorites than to put new material out there and worry about fan reaction.

bRETT, MikeVielhaber and Atmospheric like this.
  14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I disagree 100%, but there is no way in hell I am getting into a back and forth with anyone here (like many here do). Frankly, it matters little to me, the Eagles, or Elton what anyone thinks. :)

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

If it happens with all five together on stage I'll tell you this, me and my buddy Dennis will be there. Neither of us are in great shape physically but the Moodies hold a special place in our lives and I'll arrange for everything and we'll go together and hopefully have a good laugh and cry and remember when we were young.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Wanted an appropriate / current place for this... from Graceland's Facebook page :

" Today we welcomed John Lodge of Moody Blues to Graceland! You never know who you'll see touring the king's castle."

[​IMG]

zelox, rushed again and MidnightRocks like this.
  17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Wonder which door he chose?

18. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Most acts go this route because it's what the majority of fans want. Most concert attendees feel let down if they don't hear the tunes they're most familiar with. The vast majority of concert-goers aren't there for new discoveries, but to hear the tunes that put these bands on the map to begin with. It also makes good business sense, since these same big name acts don't perform solely for the most devoted and diehard fans who are always far fewer in number (and who naturally would prefer things more diversified, with deep album tracks replacing the tried and true hits they've heard over and over). They're there mostly to make money for their hard work, and leave their attendees smiling. Justin Hayward has addressed this very thing in interviews, and he invariably comes back to "giving the fans what they want" when it comes to deciding concert playlists. Those "fans" are no doubt run-of-the-mill ones, who constitute the great "99%ers," and not the ones that make up their fan clubs and who own every obscure release (the 1%ers, like what you'd typically find here at SHF).

It's also not as easy as you think on the performers, performing the same songs night after night. It's more of a discipline they learn to embrace and deal with than a go-thru-the-motions, lazy man's out. The problem with most hard core fans is that they put their hearts ahead of their heads. That's why most wouldn't make good business managers.

keyXVII, JonUrban, gillcup and 2 others like this.
  19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

This is weird. I'd been getting ads for an upcoming Moodies show in Charlotte, but yesterday a Charlotte DJ said they'd disbanded and Haywood would be solo?!? I hadn't intended on going anyway, as I've seen them a couple times before Ray left, but has anyone else heard this?

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ian Anderson had been planning on performing all of Homo Erratacus, but the US promoters pressured him into making half the show a Tull's greatest hits package.

21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I saw the Moody Blues in Cherokee on March 19th. I can verify they are still together.

The Charlotte show you refer to was on March 28th.

Hayward does occasionally do shows on his own.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    seed_drill likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

No Denny Laine? Pfft.

jamesmaya and elgoodo like this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Please refrain from thread rapping.

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

If you can really spit some rhymes I wouldn't mind seeing it.

keyXVII, 905 and elgoodo like this.
  25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Write on...oops, mean right on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.