Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed Original Mix question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gorilla, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

That's why I could kick myself for not finding that quote by Steve... :(

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I am still confused. I have 2 US IDOFP, 1 is Brown Orange top Deram with the following hand incscribed in deadwax " ZAL 8078 11-6-69" / flip only "ZAL 8079" No stamper/mother numbers at all. A small mark that could be a pressing/master mark but not at all readable like it didn't press into wax enough. Also a Deram/London (Box) with machine stamped ZAL 8078 and other handwritten markings I will try to read. Both LPs have the "Evining, time to get away" repeated 3 times.

What version do I have?

3. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

While we're on the subject of "Days of Future Passed", I understand that the song "Peak Hour" has been released at several different lengths, sometimes with a longer running time than the presently available stereo & surround mixes.If so, were these longer mixes artificially extended, or are the presently available stereo & surround mixes edited/shortened from an originally longer recording?

Maybe one of you experts can fill in the details.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Both originals.

5. Larry Geller

The quad mix, (and the SACD), repeats the "guitar battle" break (which is almost identical to the beginning of I'm Just A Singer In A Rock & Roll Band, in case you haven't noticed) twice, for some ungodly reason. It seems to be looped, not re-performed. I have never seen an explanation for this.

6. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Thanks!

Now I have to search out a remix!!!

7. Larry Geller

Not much of a search here. Any CD will do.

8. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Have the MOFI but will look for a good vinyl as well.

9. Larry Geller

For comparing mixes, the Mo-Fi should do just fine.

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

.... this thread has me considering collecting the MB's studio albums. All I have on CD are the box set (Time Traveller), and a couple of the newer releases. I always liked their earlier music. :)

11. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

I like the way they condensed most of the core seven albums into mini-suites on Time Traveler, except for combining the two parts of House of Four Doors into one track. On the original album the fourth door is Legend of a Mind.

If you like Time Traveler and want more, I would definitely recommend the original albums through Seventh Sojourn.

12. GKH

GKH Senior Member

That's what I'm thinking, Shawn. :) Back in the day, I had some on 8 Track (oh yeah :)), and a couple of LPs. But; that was about it.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

If I was the sort of person who did those "Any love for...?" sort of threads, I'd do "Any love for Strange Times?" Although I much prefer its working title, English Sunset.

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Does anyone else love "The Sun Set"? Second most awesome song on the album IMHO :angel:

The alternate version on the Deluxe edition with the mellotron strings is just awesome :love:

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

A Little Bit Of Curry Powder

I certainly do; it's got that faux-Indian effect, a bit like a soundtrack from a Kipling story. Sort of the same rhythm as an elephant walking! IMO this track foreshadowed where the Moodies were heading with In Search Of The Lost Chord, with Ray's echoing bansuri-style flute.

Really, I love all the songs on this album; it's certainly one of the best pop albums of the Sixties, and that's saying a lot.

16. is the original 45rpm single "Tuesday Afternoon" on Deram(Bell Sound) mono?

is this the best way on vinyl to here this cut(and "Night's in White Satin" for that matter) or is Stereo the only way to go.

or ......

is it strickly UK 45rpm or UK lp for sound

thanks

17. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I've been thinking about this lately, and I cannot understand how the Moody Blues can let this mix stand, and for so long, as the definitive version of such a classic album with those missing vocals in "Time To Get Away." That would be like having a version of "This Boy" or "Yes It Is" with only Paul singing the high harmony all by himself and saying, "Oh, nobody will miss it. It sounds fine." Well, maybe it's not that drastic, but it still makes no sense to me! I realize that the original stereo mix is toast and those vocals are not on the multitrack, but there must be some tape out there somewhere, or as a last resort they could fly the vocals in like they did with the Doors and The Beach Boys.

18. I totally agree! Great comparison, description, and analogy! Well said! .....As for my experience, I can remember the first time I ever heard the album (side 2) was played on a rock station in 1985 (I was driving my dad's 71 Mustang)- they played an album side, and Days Of Future Passed was the one chosen. It was great to be able to hear the songs that were not normally heard on radio, combined with the ones that were. ....Well, eventually, I bought the CD and noticed something wasn't quite right, especially when I compared it to my neighbor's original LP record. Sure enough, it was different. This album became one (of MANY) reasons that I never gave up having a turntable - in fact, this made it all the more necessary to upgrade to a better one.

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I have the original mix on vinyl and checked out the later mix after reading this thread. My goodness :eek: ...without the supporting harmonies backing him up on the "Live all you people, you can see where you're at. It doesn't really hurt you, so that can't be bad." section of "Evening" he sounds like Tiny Tim! :biglaugh:

I can't believe the Moody Blues would allow that under-dubbed mix to exist at all. :shake:

20. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

That's a great description! :D

I know - it's hard to figure out the reasoning behind this. We're talking about FOUR CD reissues with no fix yet! :confused:

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

from the wiki link:

..the 1990 greatest hits package "The Story Of The Moody Blues/Legend Of A Band" CD compilation, seems to contain the original mix of "Nights In White Satin".

Can this be confirmed?

thanks,
    rick

22. Larry Geller

Believe it or not, what we have now is considered the "fix".:rolleyes:

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think the harmony overdub might have actually been added during the (original) mix, so it wouldn't have been possible to include it on the remix. That's just my speculation, but it would seem to make the most sense, given that they were working with 4-track, and that was a fairly common practice back in those days, when track space was limited.

24. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My original single is mono. I've been told all the Moodies mono stuff were fold-downs, but, in that case, which mix becomes the question.

Others may know more details. The Moodies are to me a stereo band.

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Man, reviewers often don't have a clue what they're talking about do they? (okay, that's not a bulletin :D)

Check this rubbish out: "The CD layer on disc one, which presents the original album in its original mix, de-noised and restored, offers playing in some spots that this reviewer never heard before"
    ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

Full review: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,3630634,00.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.