Moody Blues Go Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Hatter, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member Thread Starter

Is there a version that is n't distorted ?

I remember the original UK single always sounded like that, but we always blamed a worn "needle" on the record player! :)

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's in the recording. :(

3. John Hatter

I dont know who produced the record, was this typical of their production style?

4. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Any version I've heard always sounds crappy.Great song though.

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm sure the distortion is on the master. Someone was definitely asleep at the meters that day.

So not much you can do...but still, a great performance. I know it's politically correct to prefer the Bessie Banks original, but I don't think The Moodies' version should take a back seat to anyone. A timeless classic.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a beautiful copy of the US London 45, and it's the best-sounding version I have. Alas, even that isn't very good.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I happen to like the Bessie Banks version because I think it sounds great, not because of politics, which have nothing to do with this thread.

8. John Hatter

I have no idea who Bessie Banks is, I have only heard the Moody Blues version of this song.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A soul/R&B singer of the 1950s and early 1960s, quite good.

10. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The producer on "Go Now!" was Alex Murray,a In-House producer for Decca U.K.:angel: Michael Boyce

11. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

In case anyone is curious, Bessie Banks did the original version of 'Go Now,' which is included in the Rhino box set that came out last year called 'One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost and Found.'

12. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

That's what I always thought about the Who's "The Kids Are Alright."

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I thought somewhere Eroc says he eliminated the distortion on the recent Repertoire re-do of Magnificent Moodies?

14. Listen Denny's solo version on Japanese Tears. No distortion, crystal clear instrumentation, with a committed vocal just about as good as his one with the Moodies. Plus, the circa 1980 production does not sound dated or overproduced in that slick 80's way. IMHO it's the definitive version.

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:eek:

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think he mostly pitch corrected the out of tune intro. Personally, I didn't care for the effect it had on the track, but the rest of that Maginifecent Moodies cd sounds great.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have both versions. I played the Bessie Smith version, maybe once, and I don't remember it. I should revisit it.

The distortion is in the recording. There are no multitracks to remix. That's the way it is.

18. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

The first version I heard was on Wings over America. It was only later that I discovered the Moodys had done it first, and that Denny Laine had a Moodys connection.

19. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I've always heard chatter that the "master" we all know came from an acetate. True or not? I honestly don't know.

20. Grant

I heard it was just overmodulated at the console.

21. musicman9999

musicman9999 VDC Vinyl & CDs

I've always heard chatter that the "master" we all know came from an acetate. True or not? I honestly don't know.

--- this is true; the master tape reads "dubbed from disc."

Bill

22. Grant

Probably because the tapes are long gone.

23. posieflump

posieflump New Member

The late Brian Masters, a former colleague and dear friend of mine, was an engineer at Decca West Hampstead from the late 1960s through to the sale of the company to Polygram.

I remember him telling me once of a search that took place in the 1970s for a multitrack, a work part, "anything, in fact, that sounded better than that f***ing needledrop".

They didn't find anything.

24. John54

John54 Senior Member

I dislike political correctness; I just think the Bessie Banks original (which I didn't hear until the mid-1980s) is much better. Nothing wrong with the Moodies' version though.

It's also on "The Red Bird Sound Vol. 3: The Tiger/Daisy Story", from Diamond Recordings, GEMCD019 (looks like a UK import).

25. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I don't know why this "Go Now!" sound quality thing keeps coming up, it's been gone over here--and at MB boards, and who knows where else--for years and years. For whatever reason(s), 'it is what it is,' doesn't matter how it came to sound so 'unusual'(hesitate to use the word 'bad,' because I don't think the Gary US Bonds' classics sound 'bad,' because they *work*--the lack of 'hi fidelity' is part of what made them so wonderful).

Over at BSN, a few posters hope there is future technology to make excessively distorted, arch, or otherwise 'bad' sound sound good or great with whatever digital hocus-pocus comes along...but I can't think of anything worse, really. One thing if something was mastered poorly, or incorrectly; then, when you get better sound, you kinda like that. Even so, there are times when better sonics can diminish a recording, not help it. The best example(if in reverse)is "I Feel Fine," which for me will always sound wonderful with its overdone US 'verb, while the original, dry version comes off as hollow, though it has a lot more clarity. But there aren't many of those....

:ed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.