Moody Blues In search of the lost chord 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by t-man 54, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

8 track was first used for entire album was “ On the Threshold of a Dream”
    “Simple Game” was 8 track.
    Supposedly a few tracks on “Chord” were 8 track.
    Don’t know specifics
    Details like this should’ve been addressed in the accompanying booklet, but alas.

Spadeygrove, JediJoker and Mike Dow like this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Making Up For Lost Time sounds like a great title for a Moody Blues song or album.

Justin, are you listening?

stillrockin and JediJoker like this.
  3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

This remix is great

The extended OM is awesome too.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I have a question about the Apple Music streaming edition. I see that it has the original mix, but the songs on the second version are labeled "Remastered 2018". Does this edition not have the remix?

5. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

So what have people been hearing in the remix?
    I've been checking it out and, in general, notice that it seems faithful to the original mix in terms of balance, pan position, etc. It does sound like the gauze has been lifted off, as if perhaps one or two generations of bouncing have been eliminated. For example, the drums on "Voices in the Sky" sound like cardboard boxes on the original mix; they sound much clearer in the remix. And the "new" intro to "The Actor" is great to have.
    However, I noticed a few oddities. In the instrumental fadeout in "The Best Way to Travel", starting around 2:47, you can hear Pinder sing the verse of the song faintly in the background, not synchronized with the song. That's not on the original mix. A glitch?
    More noticeable is that "Visions of Paradise" is presented in mono. Huh? Either that's a big blunder, or the multitracks for that cut couldn't be found. I haven't checked yet to see how they handled the song in 5.1.
    Finally, the remix of the Hayward vocal version of "Simple Game" is far superior to the earlier version on the SACD. Not only is it longer, but the awkwardly double-tracked vocal has been tamed.
    It would be fascinating to hear the story of this remix, and the creation of the 5.1 mix. Have there been any interviews or media coverage at all?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    BeSteVenn likes this.
  6. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

The tracks with 2018 in brackets denote the remix.

albertop and Joy-of-radio like this.
  7. Joy-of-radio

Thank you, and I thought so. I like that the remix is not radically different from the original, but is revealing and more detailed. It sounds reasonably dynamic too. I think it compliments the original mix nicely. Among many little differences I hear in the remix, one I really appreciate is in the beginning of "House Of Four doors". The mellotron no longer pulses in rhythm with the percussion. Yay! I bought the deluxe edition, but I haven't opened it yet. Apple should label the new remixes correctly as "Remix", and not "Remaster".

albertop likes this.
  8. Joy-of-radio

I find this odd as well. I'm going to open my set today and try to determine why. I streamed a sample from AMAZON, and it is presented in mono there as well. It probably has something to do with unavailablity of tapes. However, I noticed that disc 4 has surround mix, new stereo mix, and original stereo mix. How does one switch between these formats? I'm interested in hearing the new stereo mix in 96/24 resolution. I don't own a television set, but I have a computer with a CD/DVD drive.

Mike Dow likes this.
  9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You should be able to choose the mix you wish to hear by selecting it as if you were changing the language track from any DVD.

JediJoker and Joy-of-radio like this.
  10. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

I'd love to hear what other differences you hear!

11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Notes on
    The new mix

I speculate that the new mix was the result from the 5.1 mix.
    Listened to both.
    New mix
    “Departure” on new mix has diminished sound on the piano crash
    More effective on 5.1
    “See Saw” has brighter, louder vocals and lower volume on guitar solo.
    More effective on 5.1.
    “Livingstone” intro is lower, tablas more evident at end of song.
    “Four Doors” has better drum sound, brighter percussion. The zills on the tambourine more pronounced.
    The instrumental passages behind each door much cleaner.
    Nice mix.
    “Voices” tablas more natural, background vocals more pronounced and extended during “calling to me “in the song.
    Interesting mix. Nice.
    “Travel” exposes more noticeable acoustic guitar
    in right speaker not as evident in original mix. Pinder vocals in the background at ending evident also.noted previously.
    “Paradise” is made into a mono recording.
    “Actor” as noted previously has extended intro.
    Interesting and different.
    “The Word” has louder tron.
    “Om” percussion much improved and natural. The best mix on the new mix.

But the biggest surprise is the Hayward vocal “Simple Game”.
    Lots of presence in the vocals, more vocals and guitar than previous released version.
    In sum.
    The new mix best appreciated in 5.1

12. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

It looks good but i don't have 5.1. Is it still worthwhile to get?

13. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes.
    I think it is especially worth getting if you do not have the 2 cd SACD released years ago
    It has never heard mixes on
    Simple Game
    Gimme a Little Something (will comment on that later)
    Mono single mixes of 3 songs
    The new mix has some interesting moments.
    Vintage live performances and some mainly mimed color footage assembled on a DVD. Clips are avail. on YouTube, but nice to have in one place.

The drawbacks are
    Soft bound booklet that has zero detailed information on the making of the album. Dominated by seen before photos and rehashed group history.
    If you have the 2 cd SACD set, lots of tracks on this sets disc 3 are duplicated

14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I saw the Seventh Sojourn tour. Justin definitely played through a Marshall stack.

15. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Love ISOTLC. it would be better without house of four doors.

16. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I'd give up Ride My SeeSaw before losing House of Four Doors.

bhazen, Big Pasi and Electric Sydney like this.
  17. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Maybe take all four doors off their irritatingly creaky hinges and nail them together into a GIANT see-saw, big enough for the whole family, as described on another band's song from the same period:

Jupitermadcat likes this.
  18. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out about "Gimme". Other than new sonic clarity, the big difference I hear is that after the chorus, in the "ahhhhhh" section, the percussion (some kind of hand drum?) keeps on going. It's different, but as a musical choice, I'm not sure I prefer it.
    Same goes for "What Am I Doing Here?" I'm having trouble keeping straight all the versions we now have, including the one here. It's nice to hear the extended ending, but the best mix for me is still the one we first heard on Caught Live Plus Five.
    And are those mono mixes folddowns?

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The mono mixes seem to be folddowns. Someone may have better info on that..but that’s my conclusion upon listening.
    I think “Gimme” has cleaner vocals, the acoustic guitars sound more distinct, but the piano seems reduced in volume.
    The additional drum track is distracting to me. I think it may have been an idea wisely removed from the completed track. Or someone added it recently. It sounds modern and centered in the track which would not be the norm at the time. It’s too loud also. Dunno, but prefer the version avail on Caught 5. Too bad, as the vocals sound very nice.
    “Doing Here” sounds like the track on the 2cd SACD.

20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Another surprise from this set is learning that the video rare live track “Beautiful Dream” was a Justin Hayward composition.
    Sounded like something from Lodge.

21. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident

I need to get this, surprised I never heard about it sooner! Moody Blues are one of my all time favorite bands, and I have tried to own every song they ever released. It looks like this will be a great addition to my collection!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Strangeblue likes this.
  22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Definitely get a copy
    Worth getting

23. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Yes, that surprised me too. I wonder if Hayward would have anything to say about it on those fan Q&As he does on his website from time to time.
    Meanwhile, can anyone make out any of the lyrics, other than "a beautiful dream"?

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

So, apart from the 5.1 ~ what's here that wasn't on the 2cd deluxe? A longer/different intro on The Actor...my favorite song, so you have my attention....

What else? Looking for sufficient reason to buy this. Sounds like the book (unlike the Tull book editions) is disappointingly thin on content, so that's no longer enticing me. Thanks.

25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The video content found on the DVD. If you're a fan of the band during that period, it's a treat to watch.

Larry Geller, JediJoker and anth67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.