Moody Blues' Octave, Long Distance Voyager, The Present - remastered!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Huh? I bought all of these LPs when they first came out, copied to cassette and listened mostly to the cassettes. And I listened a lot.

Was also an early adopter of CDs and bought all of the West German CDs when they first came out. I never noticed any differences in gaps between the songs. Can you be more specific?

The only differences I ever was aware of were with some of the original West German CDs of the so-called Core 7 albums (DoFP through SS) where they overlapped sides one and two.

2. oldblue910

oldblue910 New Member

I had the US Polygram CDs and I could have sworn there were gaps... I'll have to go back and check tonight...

3. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm glad you all like these remasters. Does anyone have a Gold Long Distance Voyager they wanna sell? :D

4. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I've also seen those mini-LP style CD's from Japan that appear to have the same track listings (with the bonus tracks) as these remasters. They sell for a bit more money but are true to the gatefold sleeves and other artwork, and are also made from SHM-CD (SUPER HIGH MATERIAL), if that means anything.

Anyone have any comments on these?

5. oldblue910

oldblue910 New Member

I'm hanging onto mine for the complete set. I'll sell them one day if I ever get laid off from my job and need money. :p

6. oldblue910

oldblue910 New Member

Sorry, I just noticed this was directed at me. I definitely like all the Moody Blues SACD remasters of the core 7. I have no clue about the CCR or Alan Parsons remasters as those are two artists I don't have much interest in. Admittedly I like a lot of CDs (Genesis remixes/remasters for instance) that the forum as a whole hates, but I also *understand* why the form doesn't like some of those. With that knowledge in mind, I couldn't understand for the life of me what objections the forum could have with the remastered Octave, LDV, and Present. It doesn't sound like there was any NR used, the compression and limiting appears to be very minimal. Very comfortable for me to listen to at elevated volume. I don't hear any problems with these at all. And the sound is so full of life....these were very, very well done. The Present is the most beneficial. The old US Polygram CD I have sounds heinous. So unbelievably dull and lifeless. I've attached the entire waveform for "Sitting at the Wheel" which I believe would qualify as the "loudest" song on The Present. As you can see, it's not bad at all in terms of compression or limiting.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.