More adventures in record collecting - The UK charity shop.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Brummie, Mar 12, 2017.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Active Member

Chanced upon an unplayed-looking I'm Your Man (LP) by Laughing Len in a charity shop on Saturday. One pound.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I always like to find a target. £1 from the local Air Ambulance shop. It's an upgrade to an earlier copy, that I also found in the same charity shop.

4. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Active Member

Occasionally you can find gems if you have the patience to look. I think my best find was the Carpenters LP 'A song for you'. The vinyl and cover were immaculate.

5. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

A new charity shop opened near me and for the first couple of weeks no vinyl. Then yesterday a box had all the usual suspects, Ray Conniff, James Last, Kamahl, Herb Alpert, Patty Weaver. There must be an endless supply of these albums just waiting to get donated.

LivingForever and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

These artists sold millions of records, records that nobody now wants. Look at Sydney Devine, a singer most forum members have never encountered. Albums sold: 15 million, 3 for every one of his native Scots. His shows routinely sold out. No wonder the Scottish music hall society gave him a lifetime achievement award.

Mylene likes this.
  7. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Picked up Here Come The Tears by The Tears (Bernard Butler & Brett Anderson's brief union project) for £1. I actually bought this on iTunes years ago, and it's merely OK (some great music, but Anderson's lyrics are so trite these days), but happy to have it on CD.

Also tried to buy Ellipse by Imogen Heap for my wife, only to find the CD inside was a Pipettes EP (Stop the Music). When I pointed this out, they gave it to me for free. Free jewel case, I guess!

8. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Not much vinyl was sold between 1993 and 2002 but, somehow, these albums thrived while almost every rock album disappeared from view. James Last Trumpet Agogo must have been in every deceased estate since 1990.

9. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

They're 'Replay' CDs, used and refurbed.

I've bought loads of them, with no problems at all.

Replay Music CDs

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Old people. Records and tapes, although James Last and Richard Clayderman sold plenty on CD as well. And those Elaine Paige targets see plenty of action in charity shops as well.

Sounds ageist, but it's true that their fans were on the old side in the 80s and 90s.

11. norliss

norliss Well-Known Member

Great thread.

As with - I'd imagine - pretty much anywhere, Cardiff has more charity shops than you can shake a stick at. Pretty much all of them sell CDs, a number of them (but not all) sell records and I've more or less abandoned looking for music in them because I've NEVER EVER found anything of interest to me in any of them: they're an utter waste of time. CDs tend to be the oft-mentioned stuff that probably sold by the tonne when new, but now no-one wants (doesn't say much for its longevity!) With vinyl it just seems to be like someone has emptied dear departed Aunty Doris' record cabinet and dumped it there.

Sadly, I wasn't really of a mindset to go looking for second-hand music back in the 90s/early 2000s but I can well imagine it was great for vinyl. The combination of a/ people looking to offload records en-bloc and b/ a smaller number of charity shops (understandably) thinking records to be worth next to nothing doubtless led to some amazing bargains. Alas now, even fairly clueless people are aware of vinyl being popular again so there's a perception that pretty much any records are worth something even if they're not, really. Charity shops are only too aware of the potential resale value of the good stuff so the days of June & Hilda pricing up gems for 50p each are long gone.

Doubtless, someone from (or nearby) Cardiff will be along to tell me how they regularly manage to pick up mint UK 1st pressings of Beatles, Stones & Led Zeppelin albums for 50p :biglaugh:

On a side note, when I first saw this thread, I was going to comment on the politics/ economics of charity shops but having read through the whole thread, I can say that most of what I would have said has already been covered. Suffice to say that 25 years ago, there weren't all that many charity shops but a decent number of independent (new & used) book and record shops. Nowadays, there's scores of the former and precious few of the latter, so make of that what you will....

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

While charity shops can be a depressing sight, there is an occasional gem among the garbage. Just the other day, I was in the Sense charity in Coalville, Leics. Alongside the usual charity shop fare was this mint Van Halen debut CD. Early SRC issue with no barcode.

I use to think Dido's Life for Rent was the most common charity shop CD, but it's probably Gloria Estefan's Cut Both Ways.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

Good side - An original UK Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory.

Not so good side - a bit crackly and was £5. I'm happy with it though. The good thing with records being £5 is it's still cheap and it puts a lot of the people who are only looking to profit off.

14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

For £1.50 I bought Paul McCartney's Wingspan: Hits and History (2CD). Seemed like a bargain for 40 tracks.

OobuJoobu, Dave S and Man at C&A like this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't think it's quite 40 tracks, but I picked up Tortoise's A Lazarus Taxon 3CD/DVD set for 99p from a local PDSA shop. It's a collection of Japanese bonus tracks and OOP material.

Willowman and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

10 years ago, you could have had the entire collection for 50p/each...But nice to at least see some interesting stuff show up and not be priced by crazy people.

17. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Well-Known Member

To be honest that's absolute nonsense. None of these things have been 50p each, except The Faust Tapes when it came out !

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Definitely stuff like Empty Ear Band, Mallard, Kevin Ayers and Tangerine Dream would have been tossed into the generic bins at a charity store (or in the US, a thrift store). A record store would might not have done that, but a thrift store would. Zappa or Beefheart might have been tagged if the person doing the pricing had a clue.

19. minibreakfast

Escape From New York soundtrack and Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes were both recent LP charity shop finds, at £1 and 50p respectively.

Purplefowler and Graham like this.
  20. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Wow, the EFNY soundtrack for a £1 is an amazing find. What release was it?

21. minibreakfast

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

The original Stop Making Sense CD for £1. I know there's an expanded version, but it still seemed like a bargain.

23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

24. Willowman

Willowman Forum Resident

Some killer tracks on that.