More Ebay stupidity

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Led9, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't prefer either but I made way more money selling rare LP's to Europe and Japan than I would have to just US buyers. No question about that, at least for me anyway.

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd really look into this before opting in. The Global Shipping Program is far more expensive for buyers. In addition they will open the package you send to the US hub and reseal before sending on. I've received records via the GSP and you can see that they unpacked it and resealed. In most cases they haven't closed the lp mailer properly either. No real damage far luckily enough but I have read some horror stories from sellers and buyers when things do go wrong. The ebay forums have quite a few threads on this as well.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I wasn't talking about the seller leaving neg feedback but protecting oneself from buyer swapping. Ebay is not totally nuts, they realize buyers can take advantage. So if they have questionable returns from someone they will flag or delete them. If you restrict buyers to those with higher levels of positive feedback you are protected somewhat.

I agree that this impacts the occasional seller quite a bit. What it will mean in practice is likely fewer international sales.

4. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

I've sold a few items through Global shipping with no issues but I will not use the option with this added risk. The increased cost to buyers already removes most of the advantages of selling through the program. If my risk is increased by this policy I have no incentive to offer global shipping.

5. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

" If you restrict buyers to those with higher levels of positive feedback you are protected somewhat. " thats the point I am making all buyers have their 100 percent positive fb now guaranteed by ebay so how do you restrict...

6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I don't sell, but I am an honest buyer. I got screwed by an Australian seller who misrepresented a classical record I bought, so I applaud this policy for that reason.

marcb and rischa like this.
  7. muffmasterh

it is the same for me in the UK in reverse, most of my sales are international and i will continue this way unless this proves a real problem, as i say i usually offer return post cost anyway but i obviously would have prefered to keep this at least nominally at my discretion....

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

By amount of feedback. Check with ebay on the process. Also Ebay keeps track of returns. We just had a thread here on Amazon deleting customer accounts who return too often.

I don't want to be too cynical but I have trouble thinking that Ebay will punish its big sellers.

9. muffmasterh

and i understand that but you always had the option to leave bad feedback anyway in these cases, i understand that you may be out of pocket for this one transaction but i do hope you also bad fb'd his a** to the wall !!

10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I did leave bad feedback, but that doesn't help me one iota.

FWIW: most eBay record sellers have good integrity. There have been occasions where I bought from overseas, the records had a legitimate problem (damage, mold, not as described, etc) and the seller refunded all my money without requiring me to return anything.

11. muffmasterh

ebay will but they wont let tell you details of a buyers history so how will you know. And what number fb should you only sell to, 50+ 100+ 1000+ ?? that surely is unfair to new buyers....we all had to start somewhere....I should say that I am mainly a seller, but I do still buy a lot on ebay so i have feet in both camps.

12. muffmasterh

as indeed do I ....and bad feedback should give you at least some consolation that you have seriously and correctly messed with this sellers reputation for all to see, believe me most sellers will hate getting bad fb and it does not help their sales to say the least

13. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Conversely, this may be a good incentive for sellers to start grading and describing accurately. For I reckon for every deceitful buyer on ebay there is an equally deceiptful seller. Might reduce the amount of records I've received from overseas sellers graded as VG+, EX or better that have been anything but, which I just eat because it's not worth the hassle returning. :shrug:

14. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

When I see negative feedback I stay away. I see it this way, if the seller made it good for the buyer there would be no negative feedback.

15. muffmasterh

agreed Jae but grading has become so subjective, one mans VG is another mans EX and vv, i just try to be consistent with the perceived wisdom on it and take my cue from the feedback I receive, i take note of it carefully especially in case of any ( thankfully rare ) critical comment....

16. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Yeah, but there's much more than just a grade - adequate in-focus photos and clear description of faults all help the buyer. Sadly, not too many auctions show more than just two or so photos. The ones that perplex me are the sellers who show a photo of the front cover and label, then write that the back cover has writing. Well, why not show it too??? Doesn't cost any more.

Prolly kinda moot, as the smart buyer will simply avoid such auctions anyway.

17. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I've had to refund two eBay transactions recently. One was for missing Kate Bush LPs where the tracking shows permanently 'In Transit' but the buyer (supposedly) didn't get it. The other was my fault as I'd graded another Yes LP quickly on Side A, and just spot checked Side B and so I missed something I would normally pick out. I gave both buyers the full amount of the sale and ALL postage back. I didn't bother trying eBays seller protection for the lost item as I suspect it would be like getting blood from a stone. The post office have their own lost item investigation team with real people who sound more helpful than eBay. They even phoned me back!

18. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

There are great sellers and then there are those who should not have an account. The great sellers will prevail always. Those who take advantage of buyers will have the aggravation in changing their ways. This assumes they are capable of doing so.
    I will do business with a good seller any day.

rischa and Jae like this.
  19. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

If you use Goldmine grading it is not very subjective at all. Not many records are NM at all. VG+ covers a wide swath but EX or VG++ covers the nicer end of the grade.

Jae likes this.
  20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I don't think that's always the case. If there are just one or two negs it could mean sour grapes from someone being unreasonable. I can usually tell by reading through the feedback comments.

21. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That's true, but since NM has been misused and abused for so many years now, it's nearly impossible to trust EX or VG++ as a grade without a comprehensive discussion with the seller. Just like grade inflation in schools where what used to be an "F" or a "D" is now a "gentleman's C" -- in a word, crap.

DaleH likes this.
  22. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

It could be someone unreasonable in which case ebay can strike off the negative for the seller or maybe the seller just doesn't bother to pursue that venue or even care. Feedback comments speak for themselves. Buyers leave negatives for good reason. It's not something people enjoy doing.

23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Paybay continues to shoot itself in the foot...

DaleH likes this.
  24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You would not be as appreciative if you live outside the US and you see more and more sellers either refusing to ship overseas or declaring "no returns". You'll definitely face no risk on eBay if that's you and they drive away all the sellers willing to ship to you, because you'll have nothing to buy.

25. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

The smart sellers will learn to add an extra markup to shipping charges (both domestic and international), to cover the occasional case where they have to take a return and pay for it. It would be a bad business decision for the sellers that are businesses, to just shut out part of the market.

So the end result here is that all buyers will wind up paying more for the same product than they used to; the dishonest ones will take advantage of the policy. So as always, when additional policy/procedures get added, it will be subsidized by the honest people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.