More on Classic Records' price hike

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan C, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Exactly! Well said, same with Sckott. :thumbsup:

Classic has moved from marketing high quality sound to marketing high quality appearances, and they're passing on the costs to us.

How frustrating is it to spend this kind of money for an LP that has a beautiful master hiding under endless pops and ticks? That's my experience with the PG2 LP so far. Wonderful sound, s**** pressing. All along Classic is telling me how lucky I am to have their "Quiex II" 90 pound vinyl and exotic packaging.

Well, I just received my PG3 LP but haven't listened to it yet. Should I expect noisy vinyl?
    If so, screw PG4. If a $40 (with shipping) LP can't sound AT LEAST as good as the original Geffen I bought for $2.50, then there are some serious problems here.

Dan C

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Dan,
    I suggest you send back the noisy pressing. Others in this forum have successfully done the same. Even when LPs where $4.99 and still selling more than cassettes a consumer was entitled to a "non-defective" product.
    If the vendor from whom you ordered the defective Classic LP won't get you a replacement copy you should order from someplace else. There are a few reputable mail order houses handling Classic's LPs.
    This forum is very powerful. The bad publicity you can give a vendor can hurt them.
    I hope you get satisfaction.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I shouldn't have to screw around shipping these things back. The product should be right in the first place.

I have no problem with the vendor. I bought this lp from Music Direct and they have always given me excellent service. My problem is with Classic Records' pressing plant and vinyl quality.

4. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

David almost has me talked into sending it back, he's right about not accepting defective product. But I agree, this should be the EXCEPTION rather than the norm. So I order three different Classics with the new super-weight vinyl and they ALL have some sort of defect, is this my bad luck or a serious QC issue at Classic?

I have a ting of guilt bashing Classic like this. They've done some awesome work. The Mercury Living Presence LPs, quite a few Living Stereo Lps were fantastic (while others weren't), the Matthew Sweet "100% Fun" and "Altered Beast" LPs are things of wonder, etc.

It's the recent turn of events that disturb me. Silly gimmicks like MONO pressings from STEREO masters and "limited BLUE" vinyl, what's the point? Quality tanks and prices go up, and their marketing department spins it as a benefit to their loyal customers and vinyl lovers. It's like a kick in the pants. :mad:
    Dan C

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Agreed.

RTI presses Classic's product, and I'm pretty sure they're not to blame. I never had a noisy DCC pressing, ever...and they were pressed by RTI. The Quiex SV-P vinyl formulation probably isn't to blame, either, as I've had quite a few more Classic LPs pressed on this vinyl that were quiet than were not.

The problem is almost certainly Classic's lacquer cutting or whoever plates those lacquers for Classic. I know it's a real headache to send back copies that are noisier than should reasonably be expected, but that's really the only remedy. Keeping them sends the wrong message.

In fact, if anyone here has had an ongoing problem with unusually noisy pressings from Classic, I would suggest contacting them to let them know about your dissatisfaction. If you have issues with the price increase, which is perfectly understandable IMO, let them know about that, too. When premium-priced products don't deliver, a little feedback in the form of constructive criticism is more than warranted. I'm sure Classic would own up to that and take such feedback into consideration. If not, they're not worth your hard-earned money, period.

6. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

:agree: :righton:

7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

If the product isn't moving they can always try 0% financing.

8. spot1019

spot1019 Forum Resident

you'll need financing at the rate their prices are going:sigh:

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Folks,
    I've been buying Classic Records LPs for at least 8 years.
    Sooner or later their prices get significantly slashed down.
    My suggestion: ONLY BUY the titles that you absolutely must have.
    Prices WILL come down.

As far as RTI is concerned....I have asked this before and I will ask it again.

WHY IS IT that the AP CCR LPs (I have ALL 7 titles) are absolutely pristine?
    WHY IS IT that the two Audio Fidelity titles I have are also absolutely pristine?

Obviously Kevin's outfit is doing something Bernie's is not.

BC

10. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Based on percentages, when the new price with reductions equals the old full price, it still does not look good.

Maybe I will have to get a couple of those Led Zeppelin titles sooner than I thought, that is before they start spelling their company name as Cla$$ic Records ;)

11. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Talent. Obviously Steve has an exceptional ear and the remastering skills to match, but Kevin Gray plays an essential role every time they team up. There's little doubt Mr. Gray is the best mastering engineer in the business. Be glad he and Steve came together...be very glad. :thumbsup:

I'm sure they make it easy for RTI to press great copies of their titles.

12. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'm afraid that's indeed what it has come down to. If I could find a local outlet that sold Classic Records releases I might still pay the $33, but with shipping added ... forget it. I'd love to check out their new 200gm re-do of Ella Fitzgerald's Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie, but not for close to $40. Might as well put that kind of coin toward a clean Verve original.

For the same reason, I had to come to the painful decision to sit out Steve's 45rpm jazz series. $50 (plus shipping) for one album's worth of music, no matter how beautifully mastered and presented, is just more than I can justify to myself (let alone to my wife!) given my disposable-income level.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Bernie's been known to "back up and repair" a bad cut, or a broken thread. Icky.

I believe Kevin also is habitual in making sure the laquer goes immediately to RTI next door, tests made, tests played, Badda bing.

Kevin's great at what he does, but is raw maticulous drive that makes a great record, and he's got it. Less to ever go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.