More Snake Oil - low-noise network switch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnCarter17, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

"audiophile-grade"

[​IMG]

3. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

the thing is, you just know some folks will buy this and claim to hear more 'air between the instruments' and other placebophile buzzwords.

Brother_Rael, shaboo, Shawn and 7 others like this.
  4. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

"You can also disable the LEDs for further noise reduction."

What kind of garbage is this?

Brother_Rael and Chilli like this.
  5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

This manufacturer external HDD drives (extremely lame BTW) have a separate power supply - why not that switch?
    I felt more advanced version coming...

Shawn likes this.
  6. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Time was you walked into a store and walked out a bog standard 8 way switch box now they wanna push this nonsense???

7. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Which bit of my turntable do I plug it into?

Exotiki, gakerty, jtw and 5 others like this.
  8. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm truly disappointed with Melco. I expected such a reputable company to warn its potential customers that its S100 switch may not perform optimally unless you also buy the audiophile RJ45 wall plates and connectors. Alas, this seems to be yet another occasion when the rush to push a product to the market without its necessary accessories will result in a less than adequate audiophile experience.

9. Old Zorki II

They do have $100 audiophile CAT7 cables, but clearly those cheap cords will degrade the sound.

klockwerk likes this.
  10. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

TarnishedEars likes this.
  11. Claude Benshaul

That's a real problem that is being discussed in another thread on this forum. It seems that TCP data packets are getting confused as soon as they encapsulate audio and are asked to travel along copper wires. However it's childishly easy to treat since you only need to draw direction arrows with a sharpie on the cable jacket to restore order and ensure that the music will flow in the correct direction and without jitter.

12. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

But. It's a LInksys. :p

13. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

Yea yea yea I can't spell... Linksys. Linksis, Lynksys all the same.... Spend a few more $$$ and get Meraki, Cisco, Ubiquiti, etc...

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  14. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the Deluxe version... I understand it comes with a veil that I can lift myself!

[​IMG]

15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Makes you wonder, again perhaps, how a fool and his money ever got together in the first place.

Dan

16. Old Zorki II

There are people who simply do not care. They come to the dealer, he shows them system for 250K, they say "OMG it sounds great, I want it all" and here you go. This is not a product for us )).

17. PhilinSC

PhilinSC Forum Resident

I think I'm going to wait for the tube version.

Should be 3 db cooler in the low end...

18. Jujigatame

Jujigatame Forum Resident

I think I just found my new kickstarter campaign!

timind likes this.
  19. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I honestly can't believe this will be a successful product launch. Even if you were to believe that a switch could make a sonic difference, at what point would anyone think that this is the next sensible step to eek out more performance? Honestly, only someone with a $50K+ digital front end could possibly think this even is worth a try...and that's if you're already drinking the snake oil Kool-Aid . This switch is the same price as an Auralic Aries G1 streamer!

20. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

A budget gigabit switch can somehow manage a lossless 4K HDR video with Atmos audio, without error, but struggles with stereo :laugh:.

I'm sure MQA sounds breathtaking through this switch ;)

If one is that concerned about the impact of a switch on sound, then just direct wire using a crossover cable (audiophile grade, of course).

Blank Frank, vwestlife and ds58 like this.
  21. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

I turn off all the power in my house when I listen to music, don’t you? Really deep black background behind the soundstage and no hiss.

Blank Frank, jlykos and vwestlife like this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Yeh, steam powered audio is the only musical truth.

23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The fool encountered someone more foolish somewhere along the line.

nosticker likes this.
  24. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

A big part of the price premium goes toward getting the chassis to that coveted ultra-low resonance "blue pill"-fueled rigidity expected of any proper audiophile component, which will of course mechanically stabilize the circuit board traces and thereby reduce bit-transfer asymmetry distortion, which pays enormous dividends in soundstage holography and an almost complete elimination of transient smearing. The way it accomplishes these sonic improvements through the use of materials and construction methods which render its appearance sufficiently posh to proudly sit in your rack next to your finest and most luxurious components is not only artful, but truly masterful and even lyrical, and this simply cannot be bought cheaply.

In case you were not aware, "bit-transfer asymmetry distortion" is a specific type of distortion induced by the "1" bits' (digital "on" or "high" state, formed by a pulse of electron flow) tendency to vibrate and bounce around excessively within the cubic crystal structure formed by the copper atoms in the PCB traces, causing their frequency at the output to be out of sync with the frequency of the "0" bits (which are the "off" state and formed by an interval of zero electron flow, therefore impervious to being bounced around excessively within anything).
    [​IMG]
    The rectangular LED is neat too.

gakerty, ds58 and Old Zorki II like this.
  25. Claude Benshaul

Yes all this is true and may even contribute to better sound-stage but it can handle bit-transfer asymmetry distortion only when there is only a single electron bouncing around and obviously it doesn't happen very often. Perhaps the purpose of the square LED goes beyond aesthetic and it's there to handle the more common cases of bit-transfer asymmetry distortion caused by two electrons bouncing around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.