Morrissey reissuing 'Bona Drag' with 6 unreleased tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slicing Eyeballs, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Don't be too hasty. I quite like this "no fade-in" edit. The song just "slams" into action.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too! The album was a letdown after that single. The B-side "Hard to Walk Tall" was awesome too!

I don't know if he does, but the last one was a big step up IMO.

3. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

If he collaborates with the right people, sure, why not! He simply needs stronger song material. The method with him as lyricist and Boorer & Whyte as songwriters seems worn out. Tobias's songwriting was mediocre to begin with. Why not have a lot of different people deliver music for a new album? Maybe even record one or two songs with Johnny Marr (wishful thinking).

On the Bona Drag reissue: I think the crossfades are inexcusable. Absolutely horrendous. When you play Hairdresser on Fire, the first thing you hear are the last notes of Ouija Board (one of his worst songs). The packaging is cheap. The bonus tracks are ok, but nothing special. The remastering however is pretty good!

4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Should NEVER have agreed (maybe he did/didn't) to those crossfades. Why????? As for a killer album? Yes,like a boxer on the ropes he usually comes back with a knock out punch.

5. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Heard this a couple of days ago and I agree verbatim with casagrande: those crossfades ARE inexcusable. There's just no point.

I'm another who thinks there's another masterpiece in the man yet. Loved the last album (all-time favorite is "Vauxhall & I"), which was some vicious return to form. I've liked the last three - "Quarry", "Ringleaders", "Years" - quite a bit, as he seems to have really upped the bar after "Maladjusted".

The b-sides of this era, as usual, are great. "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" and "Never Played Symphonies" are fantastic, but my favorite is definitely "Ganglord". Fierce, fierce song.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

so is this an import only?

7. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

The package is really cheap. Moz deserves much better looking reissues. But on the other side, bonus tracks are good and this remaster sounds good too. Actually it sold more units than Lennon's Double Fantasy Stripped the week both were released.

8. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Frank, any further word on when the Viva Hate D.E. might be released? Based on what you mentioned above as likely material on the D.E., I'm really looking forward to it. I do like the mastering of the Centenary Edition but as you mentioned the cover art (photograph) is much worse than the original.

9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Member

Hope these materialize. I'd like to see some out takes tacked on to the end of the album and the second disc could be the Wolverhampton show of Dec 88.

10. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

I thought Years of Refusal was fantastic. The best since Vauxhall.

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Years of Refusal also is excellent...

12. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

A big step up from the prior album IMO.

13. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I don't have a particularly strong feeling on the crossfades, but I think the remastering is good. It's also nice to have pristine versions of Lifeguard on Duty and Happy Lovers At Last United, though it's a head-scratcher as to why it was decided to remove the drums from the mix of Oh Phoney.

I was surprised by some of the credit errors - i.e. crediting Jurgen Teller as the cover photographer and removing Gary Day from the writing credit for Let The Right One Slip In.

14. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I just received the Bona Drag reissue in the mail yesterday. And I have the same exact impression. I think the sound is great (compared to my original issue). I like the bonus tracks, but the packaging....ugh.

When I think expanded/remastered/reissued, I think that lyrics (esp. in the case of Moz) should be mandatory and a nice little essay about his transition from band member to solo career (either by him or someone close to him) would have been nice. Heck, even the 1990 issue has a lyric sheet. I do like some of the b&w photographs (especially the one when you open the eco-pack) but the whole thing felt pretty cheap and minimalist for a reissue-expanded version.

This will be one of the few cases in which I'll keep both the original and remaster. That said, I'm pretty sure the remaster will be my go-to CD for listening.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

packing it terrible. A real bugger trying to get that CD out without major fingerprints. I'm scared I'm going to break it.

Love the picture of him on the back of the booklet resting on the "ZODIAC". Anyone know if these pics were from the original Bona Drag photo session? Definitely some reject photos. Anyone know where this Hollywood high school is located? Is that England or California?

16. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

California...off Sunset BLVD, near LeBrea

17. guidedbyvoices

I finally grabbed this. Since I have all the old singles I don't mind the crossfades at all or clipping the strum intro of suedehead. Only complaint is I don't get the edit chopping out a verse of ouija board. I love that verse! Otherwise I think it sounds great

hi_watt likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

What verse did they chop (and why?)

19. guidedbyvoices

Don't know why it was cut but they chopped out the 'table is rumbling' bit including p u s h o double f.

I also found myself amused at interesting drug as a 38 yr old married dad, I know I didn't quite get that at 17.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Ah, I like that one too.

That was the first single that came out after I got into Morrissey/The Smiths. I still love that song.

21. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

22. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

Did anybody here purchase this the week it came out on CD in the U.S.....and still have that copy? Could you post here or could you PM me?

Thank you!

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Recently sat behind a guy on a bus and he was flipping through his iPod and I couldn't help but notice which albums he was pulling up. Didn't recognize some of them but lo and behold, there was the original cover for Bona Drag as he pulled up "Interesting Drug".

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  24. ottosander

ottosander Forum Resident

Hi there,

just came across some of your posts in the Bona Drag reissue thread where you mentioned further reissues would feature a second disc of bonus material. I´m a huge M fan myself so would like to ask if you had any inside informations concerning these reissues, which-as we know now- didn´t feature a second bonus-disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.