Morrissey (The Smiths) calendar quote.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by qwerty, Jul 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums. Thread Starter

Looked at the quote on my Collins 2003 Desk Calendar for Wed 2 July, to find that it is Morrissey of the Smiths: "Work is a four-letter word". I would never have expected to see him quoted there!

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The song "Work Is A Four Letter Word" was actually written buy Don Black and Guy Wolfenden and appeared in the film of the same name in 1968. This original version was recorded by Cilla Black.

The Smiths covered the song in one of their last recording sessions and it appeared on the b-side of the "Girlfriend In A Coma" single.

Apparently, Marr wasn't happy with the song because recording Cilla Black covers wasn't what he felt he wanted to be doing with his life! I think it's a fine addition to the Smiths catalogue and a hell of a lot better than anything Marr recorded after leaving the Smiths!!

Does your calendar credit the lyrics to the original writers?

:)

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums. Thread Starter

Thanks for the extra info - I will get out my single tonight.
    The calendar just credited to "Morrissey (The Smiths)".
    I suspect that many "quotes" are misquoted!

4. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

The current issue of the British mag, the Record Collector has an excellent article on The Smiths- they choose a bunch of their signature tunes and discuss which song or film or book etc.. provided the inspiration for Morrissey/Marr to write the particular Smiths song that the mag analyzes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.