Mosaic to release a Rosemary Clooney set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Very good.

3. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Sign me up. Thanks for the update!

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

Mr. H likes this.
  5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

thanks, I just ordered the set.

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Definitely in on this one but I will wait until it's out to order it.

JamieC likes this.
  7. I'm in!

Cousin It likes this.
  8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Looks like 12 of these tracks were already released on Coral Records as the "Swing Around Rosie" lp.

9. John DeAngelis

I just finished comparing the sound samples for the Mosaic box to amazon.com samples for the CD of "Swing Around Rosie" and I hear a big difference. The CD of "Swing Around Rosie" is a stereo mix and the instruments in the left and right channels tend to overwhelm Clooney's vocals, which, in addition to being not quite loud enough, have reverb added. The Mosaic samples are mono, which, to my mind, makes both the backing tracks and Clooney's vocals stronger. And I hear no reverb on the vocals, which are very warm and engaging. And one of the recordings that Mosaic provides samples for is actually on "Swing Around Rosie," so the difference between the two presentations is very apparent.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Mr. H likes this.
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

While I'm interested, I hate Buddy Cole's organ on Swing Around Rosie. I hate organ music in general.

signothetimes53 and J.A.W. like this.
  11. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Can't wait for this! I still have to grab the Bing Crosby set. The Crosby-Clooney 2 CD set of radio sessions is simply terrific!

It is so nice to see Rosie getting some love! When was the last 'new' release from her camp?

GO MOSAIC!

Simon A, emitex and Cousin It like this.
  12. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I am seriously tempted to buy this, but the first Mosaic sample I pulled up was this one, and it made me seriously pause. If the entire box is populated with that organ, there's no way I'm going to be able to stomach listening to it more than once. I know that probably sounds petty and small for me to say that, but yecccchhhh....

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I will take a HARPSICHORD over that swinging organ. This is not a slam on Buddy Cole. He swings nicely, and the other musician sometimes drown him out, and its Rosie....
    I can't stand organ based jazz either. Or hymns for that matter.
    YMMV
    I never understood my parents liking records by Buddy Cole(on the pipe organ), and Ken freakin' GRIFFIN. Aaaaaagggghhhhhh!

signothetimes53 and J.A.W. like this.
  14. DigitalPiracy

DigitalPiracy Active Member

I was checking out the track list; "Hey There" seems a little short 2:15, Is this correct? I thought it was a little longer than that.

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Did you have a traumatic childhood incident at a skating rink or something?

;)

Simon A likes this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Its a remake.

17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Love the organ

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Now shipping.

juanmanuel likes this.
  19. Lonson

"Swing Around Rosie" is probably . . . fake stereo.

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Narrow and occasionally wonky but seems like true stereo to me.

21. Lonson

Okay.

22. John DeAngelis

The sound files of "Swing Around Rosie" that I listened to with headphones were real stereo.

23. Lonson

Okay. The "reverb" made me think fake stereo. I now have the Mosaic set and on a few tracks Rosie's voice is "recessed sounding."

This is a nice set, excellent sound. Rosie is wonderful throughout. It IS a bit much to have the same backing personnel throughout and after a while you learn all their little arranging tropes and you wish for more variety of orchestration and instrumentation. It would make an excellent two cd set. . . . It is a great set to listen to in small doses which I will do in the future. It's very much like the Bing Crosby set in many regards.

I wish Buddy would have stayed with the piano more, but then again the organ reminds me of my Mom's Dad, who had a little Hammond that made sounds like these on the sessions and that's a good thing. I mainly got this for my Mom's listening, she's a big Rosie fan and hers are among the only recordings this poor woman deep in dementia really enjoys any longer. Mom is enjoying these . . . and then falling fast asleep, which I think is a good thing.

Simon A and JamieC like this.
  24. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

This one was on regular rotation at my house. The cover is better than the music. :yikes:

[​IMG]

JamieC likes this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

How cool. Fake stereo organ music.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.