Most astonishing deep bass impact on your rock records???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruiserbill, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Back in NYC Genesis from Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Zappa-Jazz From Hell, Civilization Phase III
    Flora Purim-Rhythm Runner from Speed Of Light
    Al Di Meola-The Embrace from Kiss My Axe
    Patricia Barber-Modern Cool , incredible recording engineered by Jim Anderson

3. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Mistral Wind by Heart.

4. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Crying in The Night-Buckingham/Nicks

Dr. Winston Ramone likes this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The first 3 BTO albums but Not Fragile with the title song,Sledgehammer & Rock Is My Life(And This Is My Song) bone crushers of the highest calibre

Cachiva likes this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

IIRC, the intro to "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" by Tears For Fears has a pretty low-sounding vrooomp kind of sound. There's also something on Yes' 90125 that I noticed while doing some navigation test drives in a Nissan Armada. A very low kind of gong-ish sound. Darned if I can remember the track offhand-"It Can Happen"? Or is it "Changes"? I couldn't find it quickly, have to listen to the whole thing again. Red Rider's keyboard intro to "Lunatic Fringe" was totally pants-shaking live but I haven't heard it for a while, I'll have to try and listen to that one as well. The final thing that comes to mind offhand is Vangelis El Greco, a really good album with some low stuff sprinkled throughout.

mtvgeneration and hi_watt like this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

It's a guy named Bill Plummer rockin' the 'uprite' bass on "Rip This Joint". As for Bill Wyman, though, IMO his best sounding bass is on the Emotional Rescue LP- crank up "Down In The Hole" and dig the low end emanating from Bill's Travis Bean bass.
    Dunno if I'd go so far as any rock album, but Black And Blue (and the Black And Blue outtakes used on Tattoo You) feature the Stones' best sounding drums for sure. I reckon Black And Blue is their best sounding album full stop.

303 Squadron and hi_watt like this.
  8. mivacurium

mivacurium Forum Resident

In my collection ......two stand out
    The B52s Yellow album (MFSL silver ) with "Dance this mess around"
    INXS Kick (MFSL silver ) with "Need you tonight"
    If I'm trying to show off these are my go too tracks

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

First German vinyl pressings of Van Der Graaf Generator's "H to He .." and "Pawn Hearts" albums .

10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Prelude by Decemberists

Can't view in UK so jophopefu link works.

11. Pier

Pier Well-Known Member

Yeah Mel Shacher's work on "Live Album" stands as an earthquake

Haggis Wampovich and dukesdown like this.
  12. Supertramp - No Inbetween

13. adlerjf

adlerjf Forum Resident

Maybe not the best examples compared to those already given but the two things that came immediately to my mind:

1. Questions (Buffalo Springfield) - particularly that little instrumental breakdown
    between chorus and verse where it's just bass
    (Bruce Palmer?) and drums.
    2. The Band (The Band) - almost any song but Up On Cripple Creek and Whispering
    Pines stand out to me.

14. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The bass presence actually varies quite a bit on that record (difference source dates used?), but Mama Tried in particular is very impressive, with some real 3D mid and low range thump from Phil there..

15. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

First song that came to my mind was Oye Como Va by Santana - almost a reggae level of deepness, especially during the intro.

16. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Couldn't disagree more. I have both pressings of Who's Next on Classic Records and the bass is good but my fillings refuse to be budged from their teeth. In fact, I can't think of a single pressing I have that either one of them mastered that shakes the foundation.

What really shakes the old bones is Supper's Ready on Foxtrot by Genesis. Many of the already mentioned tracks by various artists are also quite substantial in the low note dept.. Some of them I have to turn down momentarily so I can maitain good relations with my neighbors.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Chris Squire's gut churning contributions to "Close To The Edge" were the first thing that came to mind for me here.

18. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

2pac

Anonamemouse likes this.
  19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Bauhaus She's In Parties 12" single

Vils and Synthfreek like this.
  20. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

That explosion that sneaks up on you on Roger Waters' Amused To Death.

Real speaker killer with the wide DR on this one.

21. dukesdown

dukesdown Active Member

I believe Stephen himself played bass on Questions.

Picca and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Bruiserbill

Bruiserbill Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've been chasing the sound I remembered from the speakers I built into the wall in my first house, vinyl only system. Neighbour said they were good too, "Joe, come round to my house and listen to my new speakers", "No. you come round to mine and listen to them. :tsk:"

The original Metallica black album is deep, so is the expanded/remastered Wish you were here.

System now has a very usable and adjustable output from 20 hz, before it had a hole from 20 to about 50 hz so I'd lost the extreme. Situation now rectified and I'm well chuffed.:goodie:

Only said rock as to be honest that's all I really listen to, but as a test record I have a recording by Telarc of the 1812 overture, the grooves on vinyl are 1mm apart, you can "see" the sound, the cannons hurt and really do rattle your fillings, and windows

blind_melon1 and Dante Fontana like this.
  23. Bruiserbill

Bruiserbill Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Should have said above but forgot, there is a world of difference between a boomy button end and something that has genuine texture and above all control.
    No offence I hope, it' just that we all seek what we view as perfection in our music, but there is no perfect from everyone's perspective

iloveguitars and Dante Fontana like this.
  24. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

On A Carousel - The Hollies.
    Didn't see that coming!

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Also not rock records, but my Best Of Horace Andy, Vols. 1 & 2 have some deeply insane bass and sound great.

Machiventa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.