Most disappointing follow up album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

One of the unfortunate things about having a hugely successful album is that you have to follow it up with another one, and sometimes it can be nowhere near as good. What are some of the biggest examples of this for you?

For me, "Be Here Now" by Oasis is one of the most disappointing follow up albums ever. Their first two albums were excellent but they totally dropped the ball on the third one, mostly killing their momentum and leaving them in not too great a position as they entered the 2000s.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I honestly think Be Here Now had some songs that were just as good, maybe even better, than those on the first two albums. However, the LP is so bloody long it’s really draining. Some of the poorest songs are the longest ones too.:D

3. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Boston's Dont Look Back I expected better.

4. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Appetite For Destruction is a great album by any defintion. Regardless of current tastes and trends.

My friends and I used to call the two follow up albums "Use-less Delusions." The pre-hype sales campaign for that album was literally a months long MTV "OMG Aren't Guns N' Roses the greatest band with only one album EVER!" cringefest. "They are a modern day Rolling Stones..." No. They couldn't even match Aerosmith for creative output. Axl Pose. Perfect nickname for an overrated frontman.

5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The Libertines (s/t). Up The Bracket was a fiery, melodic, insane, clever, endlessly listenable record. The follow-up was dull in every way: songwriting, performances, production...apart from Music When The Lights Go Out, I never feel the urge to revisit it.

Mountebank, Nakamichi, ramdom and 3 others like this.
  6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

at the time (1967) ...... Smiley Smile ?

"genius" Brian Wilson was making the "greatest album ever"
    and then ......

7. Nearys Epiphany

Nearys Epiphany Forum Resident

AC/DC For Those About To Rock

8. Haristar

Oh I really like some of the songs on that album too but yeah it can be such a drag to listen to. How high do you have to be to think people want to listen to seven minutes of Magic Pie?

9. milco

milco Forum Resident

Wishbone four. Hmmm....

OnkelHank, pocofan, Bob J and 13 others like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

And All Around The World lasts for 9 minutes! And then there’s a reprise of it at the end of the album.:D It’s a really catchy melody, but it’s definitely a 4 minute song.:)

D’You Know What I Mean? is torture too. That’s nearly 8 minutes long and they chose it for the lead single! In fact the first 3 songs on BHN are real let downs.

Jimmy Jam, supernaut, theMess and 8 others like this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Others will naturally disagree, but I was hugely disappointed with Bowie's follow up to the brilliant "Station To Station", "Low". I know that Bowie was always changing musically, but that change was just TOO much for me. I can enjoy some of "Low" looking back now, but it was a huge stinker for me when it was brand new.

And I totally agree with member @gudnoyez above, regarding Boston's "Don't Look Back". I mean that album just didn't offer any "songs" that were as great as that debut album gave us, it was just more of the exact same "sound".

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

At the time I was disappointed with ' Aladdin Sane'. Just didn't feel it was a good enough follow-up to Ziggy Stardust but I came to my senses soon enough.

13. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

Television- Adventure

14. Haristar

Blur - The Great Escape

Blur had improved with each album up until Parklife but then they release an album that seems so deliberately Britpop. Even Country House, their first number one, was nowhere near their best material.

15. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Thin Lizzy - Shades of a Blue Orphanage. Not a bad album, just nowhere near the quality of their debut.

16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The Long Run by Eagles

SteveSDCA, Michael, razerx and 36 others like this.
  17. Haristar

But if All Around the World was four minutes, how would they fit in two key changes and some Hey Jude-esque na na na's? ;)

18. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Stone Roses, Second Coming (it wasn't).

19. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Jackson Browne's Hold Out ..after Running On Empty.

Although it ended up being his only number one charting LP. (Billboard)

Bern

20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel’s “Us” was a letdown for me.
    King Crimson’s “Beat” was so weak compared to its predecessor.

21. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

WILD LIFE after RAM
    SOMETIME IN NEW YORK CITY after IMAGINE

22. zen

zen Senior Member

Jem.
    Finally Woken to...Down to Earth
    It's too bad, cause I really enjoyed her debut album. At least she got the album's title correct.

23. Haristar

The Beatles - Let It Be

24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

To follow up ‘Let’s Dance’ with ‘Tonight’ was a huge letdown. Even the album title sucks.
    If Bowie had waited just maybe a year, he could have made his way throughout the eighties with another pop-album. From a musical point of view, he had these songs written in 1985:

Loving The Alien
    Blue Jean
    Tumble And Twirl
    Dancing With The Big Boys
    Absolute Beginners
    Within You
    As The World Falls Down
    Underground

The soundtrck songs could have had different lyrics, and thereby another decent and even more adventureous album than ‘Let’s Dance’.

25. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

U2 October
    Junior year of University I bought Boy when it was first released in 1980.My friends and me were really into the New Wave thing and we loved Boy. A year later October came out and none of us could get into it. We listened to The PFurs,Echo, Joe Jackson and Elvis instead.