Most Gorgeous Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MorbidToaster, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Todays amps look different it seems.
    These are Monoblocks made by MSB - 40 Kilo - 200 watt at 8 Ohm, more than 1.000 watts at 1 Ohm . Even runs in Class A when you switch to Hi-Bias. Gets really hot, hence the case..
    Uploading images is not possible anymore for me it seems. Must have an upload service site.

So I can only post a link..A pity !!

http://www.msbtech.com/products/m200.php?Page=platinumHome

Dino likes this.
  2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

YIPE!

3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

4. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

....I love this Luxman gear!
    ....I have these (L-450 Integrated though) but this is a pic from the web (shows it off better)

[​IMG]

Joshua277456, Dino, Tim 2 and 5 others like this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

utahusker likes this.
  6. PIEP

PIEP Well-Known Member

Quad 34+ 306 - Good and warm in winter for cats having a cold...

:nauga::nauga:

[​IMG]

Dino, Colin M and james like this.
  7. PIEP

PIEP Well-Known Member

8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

well spotted

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

11. meadow

meadow Active Member

[​IMG]

Full Western Electric System. Over million dollars (current market price).

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I showed my significant other a picture of the AN-Es I have on order and she commented on how much bigger they are than my current speakers.

I showed her pictures of some of the speakers in this thread, and I think she feels better about it.:laugh:

56GoldTop likes this.
  13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's incredibly nice!

14. meadow

meadow Active Member

Yes, but very unfortunately they are not mine!

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Fab. Is that system in the East?

16. meadow

meadow Active Member

In Japan.

Metralla likes this.
  17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's dedication.

56GoldTop likes this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I suspected as much. Thanks for the post. If I ever opened a store, it would be filled with antiquarian wonders, and perhaps a few select re-creations of this stuff. Of course, I'd have no customers, but it would be great fun! I'll try to drag someone I know over here to post about his system- I haven't gone to hear it yet, but he uses the big Siemens Klangfilm horns with Lamm amps and a range of vintage tables.
    As to the value of that system you posted, I'm not even sure a million could buy it. Some of that stuff is exceeding hard to find and most of it is in private collections or the odd museum. I recently got a chance to see one of those WE stacks- it was not running, and I'd have to go back to my files to see exactly how it was configured- the amp array was taller than me!

19. meadow

meadow Active Member

I think so. The owner wouldn't sell them even for a few millions. Maybe after he passes away, Japan or US government would buy them as a national treasure.

20. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's what I was betting on.

21. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

cool, not really gorgeous...

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

They had some theater amplifiers that match what you're describing. I was reading in an early issue of Glass Audio magazine that most of that stuff was sold for pennies on the dollar by the American theaters breaking down their speaker/amplifier systems, nearly all going to Japan. Even the WEC military amplifiers not intended for hifi are highly valued there, like the push pull 300A amps.

23. meadow

meadow Active Member

This was always happening before internet age. Most of the professional tube gears had been sold for pennies.
    I know a person who made a fotune in 90's, who kept calling the radio stations nationwide (US, he is an American) to find Pultec and the other obsolete gears.
    He also went to East Germany right after the Berlin wall, and exchanged hundreds of old Telefunken mics and gears with bread.

Today, most of the vintage audio (and camera) buyers in Japan are new rich from China.

jfeldt likes this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Right, I think the issue mentioned this was happening shortly after WWII when the Japanese DHT-SE circles became enamored with the WE 300B and transformer coupling stages. Very fascinating history.

Are you saying the Japanese are shifting some of this Western Electric gear to China? While I don't know anything about the Chinese interests, from my last trip to Tokyo I found it very difficult to find out much about the "hidden" markets that sold the exotica to locals; things like pre war DHTs, out of production Japanese transformers from Hirata Tango, Tamura, Sansui, etc. Items that would shift very quickly in the US/rest of the world even at a decent markup. So it seemed like it was less about the money to them. I am planning another trip in December/January with a friend who has access to these markets.

25. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

What would be the age and frequency range of this system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.