Most incredible system ever...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by layman, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Audiophilia at the elite levels seems like a never ending chain of modifications to attain that last 1% in detail. Probably the most expensive setup I got to experience for a demo was a pairing of Wilson speakers with Krell amps. Highly detailed sound and also highly expensive. But I found myself more engaged with the other setup in the room running <$1k bookshelf speakers with a budget tube amp.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm sure you could find an elite level system that will give you the engagement you're after. Not all systems sound the same, or even similar once you start getting picky about things like engagement.

3. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Yeah, but if you put a bag over her head (in case the lights come on) and close your eyes...you can imagine you're with a hot chick on the beach! :D

4. Ham Sandwich

For anyone curious, here's a Stereophile CES 2016 show report about the system that was in the video.
    Introducing Aries Cerat

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

No subwoofer? I'll take a pass :nyah:

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

No sub, yet the first track on the demo was Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. The recording sounded like the Telarc version, but I'm not sure. The Telarc version has sub 20Hz fundamentals. It's not my favorite recording of the Toccata and Fugue, but it is the one with the most impressive bass. If they were willing lead off the demo with that without a sub then respect. But then again, if they used the Telarc version I'd have to ask them why? It's not the best performance, and the bass reverbs have digital and recording technique wonkiness.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Want one!
    I'm off to the crossroads to sell my soul for the funds!

8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

A $3oo,000+ system playing Foobar through a PC.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I like the idea of your thread but of course it's difficult to really tell much from any youtube video - you can certainly get some sense but you are very very VERY limited by the microphone of puny little cameras. And you are limited by your own playback of the youtube (and limited by youtube). But if it sounds good you can probably bet it would sound way better in person. It's interesting that another poster said their DAC chip was 1865 and R2R ladder - that has been what Audio Note has been doing for 20 years.

ANd as I am a fan of Audio Note - I will post this system which is Peter Bruninger's(Stereophile, TAS) system - Peter has probably attended more shows and done more show reports with videos than anyone.

The Speakers here are about $70,000 a few models up from mine. His system though is vastly superior and vastly more expensive. His system here probably runs in the ballpark of $500,000.

Skip to 3:55 to pass the preamble. Part one is interesting because they discuss the digital end of things which apparently what is being used in your initial post. Makes you think about the blather on MQA recently where the best sounding systems are vinyl and redbook designed digital replay!

I adore the AN E loudspeaker and have since I heard them 15 years ago. For a normal sized living room - if you feed them right and set them up well they're very difficult to better. Peter Snell was genius.

timztunz and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Now that is an ultimate stereo!

Manimal likes this.
  11. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Perfect.

x2.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

But nicer than the carpet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

Speaking of being satisfied, how are your 604's doing?

14. SandAndGlass

I am all about sound, so I can do ugly speakers, my A7's in plywood cabinets have a -100 WAF.

Thing I can't do is an ugly carpet!

Manimal likes this.
  15. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

No 604s. I do have a pair of Altec 14s though.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup. It is just too expensive at a certain point to get to the other 10%. I am done upgrading to much more expensive hardware.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

Sorry, my bad, but somehow I seemed to remember that you are one of us!

Can you PM me?

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Think you need to adjust your attitude.

You create a thread where you make bold unverifiable claims filled with hyperbole.

If anybody disagrees with you or attempts to show you how unreasonably unrealistic and illogical that is, you adopt a defensive posture... Which is strange considering you're the one making those claims.

There are millions of combinations in audio gear. There isn't a supreme system. In fact, it is mathematically impossible especially when taking into consideration how everybody hears things differently and prefers different sound signatures. Personally, I don't care one bit about accuracy and having a neutral sound. If music isn't a *fun* listen, it's a total waste of time.

So either accept the fact that people will have different opinions or don't start these ludicrous threads to begin with.

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

what no TV ??

20. SandAndGlass

I fully agree!

It's not that I have any issues with things that are expensive that I am not either able to afford or care to want to afford.

If I had the bucks, I would like to assemble my own version of "My Absolute Best Sound System", of course, if I were to do it, I would also have to afford the castle to showcase it in!

I'm all about creating the sound signature's that would be associated with live venues. As a teenager, I had my first pair of A7's with Altec 828 cabinets built for me. And, while still in my teens, I could recreate rock concerts in our house. So I have been there and done that many years ago.

Today, with the help and inspiration of our other esteemed forum members, I have again ventured deeper into the audio realm.

When you get right down to the core of it, there is really NO PERFECT SYSTEM!

Take the system in this thread, place it in 100-different members home and it will result in 100-different sound signatures.

Because everything is DIFFERENT!

Then we examine different musical tastes, what may work perfect for a full symphony orchestra, may not present the best, most realistic acoustical sound.

I craft the sounds around to my liking, they may not necessarily be to anyone else's liking. But then, no one else has an obligation to listen to my music and how I present it, do they?

He may have a system that showcases the music that he is playing, but with my music and my system, I fully believe that I can blow his doors off.

Will my system beat his doing what his system does best, probably not. But then... you never know.

If someone wants to showcase and uber expensive system, it is fine with me.

Usually, I have enough background in audio to be able to recreate a really expensive system at a fraction of the price, will it be 100%, no, will I come close, I bet that I can.

The fact is, we live in a world, governed by the laws of ordinary physics and electricity. Nothing more andnothing less.

That being the case, anyone can really achieve most of what the self proclaimed "expert's" achieve, and for a lot less money.

What the experts clearly don't understand is, that in the end, music and audio, is not about money, it is about personal enjoyment.

If your cannot feel a personal connection to the music, it doesn't matter what the music is or how much it costs.

Manimal likes this.
  21. Does it beat this one?

One of the more impressive (and expensive) systems I've heard.

pdxway likes this.
  22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I was at that show, and I heard that system. Wow! Absolutely the most realistic reproduction of a drum kit I ever experienced.

23. SandAndGlass

All well and good, we believe you, but your real life experience just doesn't translate to a YouTube video.

Sorry... I won't be watching, yet another system demo on a YouTube video.

Manimal and RhodesSupremacy like this.
  24. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

no, a 8 inch woofer doing bass is never the ultimate.

25. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Stay positive murphy. Just put a youtube of sometgung you heard that is the best ever for you. Peter Bruninger has heard every auduopgile grade loudspeaker in the world uncludung yours. And he decided the AN E was his favorite out of tje entire pantheon. Some will agree and some won't.

I think there are plenty of speakers that have more bass and will go louder too. And Mr. Breuninger knows that as well. The best sound or the most incredible sound does not have to mean a system with the most bass. Otherwise a lot of fans og single drivers and horns and electrostats will be quite sad.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.