Most Innovative, Original Post-War Blues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muddy, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Snooks Eaglin - "By The Water" Imperial Records, 1960. Blind blues guitarist from New Orleans, he was in a band called The Flamingoes with a young Allen Toussaint at the age of 15. Being a blind guitarist, Snooks was a very original and iconoclastic performer, this song was written by Dave Bartholomew who wrote many hits for Fats Domino and others.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. Muddy

Muddy Large Member Thread Starter

Well, that was sort of the idea behind this project. My goal was to compile as many of the most influential and trail-blazing blues songs as I could. Obviously, some like "Ain't That Lovin' You Baby" would be well known, and it was often tough to balance the obscurities with the usual suspects...especially with an artist like Reed. When I come back to the post-War set, I guess I'll need to look over his catalog to see if there are any other potent songs that may be more obscure.

In the meantime, here's one of the "surprises" (for me, at least) from the pre-War set, James "Boodle-It" Wiggens and the original "Keep A Knockin' An You Can't Get In" from 1928.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and participation in this thread.

Syscrusher likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.