Most overrated Beatle song ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Y.E.S.T.E.R.D.A.Y

john lennonist and Scott222C like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

A Day in the Life
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Eleanor Rigby

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  3. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

"If You've Got Trouble" If you rate it at all you've made a terrible mistake!

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I actually like it. :hide:

5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

It is wrong! It was rehearsed as number EIGHT.

6. Rhythmdoctor

Rhythmdoctor Well-Known Member

I've always found Dear Prudence overrated.

hammer99 likes this.
  7. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

LOL. This thread is basically a list of some of the greatest compositions ever written. Hey Jude? A Day in the Life? Eleanor Rigby? Come on now.

bimwop and Stone Turntable like this.
  8. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

"Long and Winding Road" and "Hey Jude," if we're truly talking overrated. Guess I'd go with "Road."

If we're talking bad, it's "Mr. Moonlight."

9. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

That was my first choice, but, in fact, I think it's overplayed, not necessarily over-rated, as it is a great song.

I actually think the most over-rated song is "I'm Down." It always struck me as being a total toss-off. Never understood why anyone liked it.

10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

he he i like i'm down, Mr moonlight and kansas city/ hey hey those definitely don't but that's a different thread. ha ha.

11. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

I agree, except for a few songs off the White Album, especially "Revolution 9."

12. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Get Back or Come Together

Holy Diver likes this.
  13. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

My vote is for Yesterday.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Something early. Probably Love Me Do.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Those are good choices, as well.

ARK likes this.
  16. bimwop

bimwop Well-Known Member

yes! the question is - is twist and shout an asterisk under beatles, or is beatles an asterisk under twist and shout?

timind likes this.
  17. bimwop

bimwop Well-Known Member

something

Mkirk likes this.
  18. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

5 of my least favorite big Beatles songs and thus most overrated (note these aren't always bad songs just not as good as others in their catalog):

1. The long and winding road-schmaltzy maudlin music to me. Spector saved it in my mins, but it's still overwrought. A C-.

2. From Me to You. One of my least favorite Beatles tunes of them all. I would put this above "road" but I don't hear much praise for this one despite being a fixture on every Beatles comp and a former uk #1. They were churning out better songs than this by the minute, but this kind of cheese was selling then I guess.

3. All my loving. I like the musicianship here, but the tune kinda bugs me. It's a decent song but not one of their best for them then or overall. I think the lyrics are a whole new side of cheese--shocking that Paul first wrote em as a poem! That said I saw Paul last summer, he played this one, the fans got into it and it was more fun than I'd have thought, but still they had better songs than this.

4. Lady Madonna. I like this tune, but there's little pushing it above like, and yet this song was huge and continues to be one of maccas likely top 8 to play in concerts (he's always playing this one) and I like it but think it's just ok.

5. Got to get you into my life. Ok so when I first got into the Beatles in mid 90s I loved this tune . But now, not so much. Maybe I overplayed it, or maybe the early anthology 2 cut with the "ba da da da ba" backing vocals that they wisely cut from the final version did it. But every time I hear it I sing the "ba da da da baaaa" bit.

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm not sure that any Beatles songs are "overrated", but they may have been overplayed to the point of seeming to be overrated.

ralph7109 likes this.
  20. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

yesterday

21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Most of the posts here are not really about a particular song being "overrated." It's about where the song is rated in the canon, period. For example, I don't think anybody would rate Love Me Do in the top 50 of all Beatles songs. It's not overrated. It's where it should be.

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Misery" is definitely underrated. :agree:

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It can never said enough: This thread needs to be put out of its misery.

24. She Loves You…..
    I can barely listen to this song anymore.

25. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

I have no clue about generally, but personally would be Get Back and Ticket to Ride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.