Most revelatory record finds, price-wise

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Sealed Beatles Christmas Album (the real one, true original seal) for $100 in about 1995.

Complete set of the Beatles Japanese mono red vinyls from Rockaway Records in 1983 for about $280.

Chuck Willis "King of the Stroll", NM with the first issue black Atlantic label. Bought it at an appliance store for $5, sold it on ebay for $154.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Tori Amos--Y Kant Tori Read?. Original Atlantic CD, mint condition, $7.00.

3. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Theses are mostly Australian 60-70s bands.All worth a pretty penny now.

Aztecs - Live $1
    Buffalo - Dead Forever,Volcanic Rock $3 ea
    Paul Simon - Paul Simon Songbook $4
    La De Das - Rock And Roll Sandwich - $5
    Axiom- Fool's Gold $5
    Zoot - 4 Shades Of Pink EP (auto'd by band including pre-international fame Rick Springfield and Beeb Birtles) $2
    The Twilights - Cathy Come Home (colour pic sleeve 45) 50c
    U2 -The Joshua Tree (radio promo) $2
    Midnight Oil - Place Without A Postcard (white label test pressing)
    La De Das - The Happy Prince $5
    Darryl Cotton & Beeb Birtles - 1972BC $1
    Spectrum - Part One $3
    Indelible Murtceps - Warts Up Your Nose - $2
    Tamam Shud - Evolution $1
    John Robinson - Pity For The Victim $2
    Flying Circus - debut,Prepared In Peace $5 ea

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

MFSL's "I Robot" CD for $25.99. Or maybe it was $24.99? Whatever.

Sitting in the regular CD racks in a store just outside the U of Penn.

I freaked. And went through EVERY OTHER CD they had! :D

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Is that a big deal? I have one of those.....got it in Buffalo for $20 about 13 years ago!

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yea, they go for $125.00 or something these days. When I bought it, it was worth about $160.00 USD.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Good Vibrations boxed set promo sampler does not include the stereo remix of Pet Sounds. The sampler you have is called "The Pet Sounds Sampler."

8. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I bought The Eagles "Hotel California" DCC remastered last month used for $13. I thought that was pretty good.

Queens of the Stone were original called Gamma Ray, but had to change their name since there was already a band called Gamma Ray. I picked up their only pre Queens of the Sone Age, Gamma Ray 7", on Man's Ruin, for $3.97 at a record store in Maine. At the time it was worth $75. I sold it a few months ago for $220. :thumbsup:

9. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

I picked up The Wall UDCD's for $18 a couple of months ago at a used cd store.

Not sure if this counts but a friend gave me Come Together/Something and Band On the Run/Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five 45's last week along with a Box set called Rubinstein - Ten Great Piano Concertos RCA. He knew I still played vinyl.

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

How about The Raspberries Greatest Hits CD, the one that got pulled from circulation as a short lived BMG music release in 2000. It has 4 of their original demos. Found it in a Media Play used bin for $7.50.

Also Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat MFSL CD in '87 in a sealed long box for $14. That was tough to find even then.

11. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

My store, which is on Hawthorne, has seen about 40-50 butcher covers in our ten years there, most of which have shown up unpeeled.

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

In 1993 we were selling these lps for $5.00 sealed, or trying to. All of a sudden, we were getting calls from elsewhere, and we were glad to get rid of the dust collectors. Then comes hindsight.

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks for setting me straight, cb! Have no idea how I could've confused the two, 'specially since I was listening to the Pet Sounds sampler just recently. Youth does have its blessings -- such as an intact memory!

Jim W.

16. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Jethro Tull - Benefit -Original 1st press UK VG++ $4.00

Buckingham Nicks - Absolutely mint cover & record $6.00

Doors - Full Circle - Mint LP - VG++ Cover (Complete) $ 7.00

And this was just last week...

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I picked up Full Circle a few months ago at a record show for $7.00. The cover is VG but complete and the disc is near mint. I just made a CD-R of it over the weekend and it turned out exceptionally well.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Are you kidding me???????????
    Hey ....who wants to buy my MSFL I Robot???????? $80!!!!!

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

My GOD!!!!!!!!!
    i have only seen one in my life, and it was in horrible shape!

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Last year I found both Harpo at Work and Harpo in HiFi for $2 each, both in mint condition. I actually didn't know the value of them, I just thought they looked like interesting items. I don't really pay much attention to whether or not an item is "a steal" (except maybe with Beatles stuff--there's a local music store that has a peeled Butcher that they have listed for $1400:rolleyes: ), but have more of an internal value-o-meter: either it's worth it to me at that price or not. Which means I've probably passed up some deals in my time.

John K.

21. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

Little Willie Johns - Fever LP with the original nurse cover.
    Paid $20 about 2-3 months ago and it books for over $1000.

One of the reasons I moved to Portland. OR is the incredible vinyl selection. I was a freelance photographer that traveled the country (and the world) and found Portland to be the best city in the US. (for me)

I've spent time in every major city in the US and visited 24 other countries and I very happy to waste a day on Hawthorne record shopping. As the small record shops in Chicago and other cities were closing by the dozens, Portland was, and still is, opening new shops! Unbelievable! Although, I admit that I spent a lot of my vinyl shopping time parked right here in front of my computer. A search engine has an awesome power of immediate gratification that going to 25 garage sales with your fingers crossed just doesn't.

Mark P.

22. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Mark -- shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

We don't want the word to get out that those butcher covers are just hanging out all over the place:D

People in the area just seem to dump their vinyl. Estate sales are especially strong in the area (mono Wicked Pickett for 50 cents anyone?).

23. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

My prized posession is the Highway 61 Revisited DCC Gold that I bought used for $9.99. Not in the best condition, but it was for sure was bought back in 1992-94, when DCC had the longboxes (though my copy was not in a longbox), and it sounds frickin' awesome.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Not really a record but...
    I bought a Iron Maiden Live After Death video used for $ 6 and sold it on Ebay for $ 96 !!!!

25. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I have a habit of giving things away or chucking them, and I'm a bit sorry about some record I gave away about twenty years ago. It was the Louie Louie record (album) with a pink cover on the Wand label. Would that have any value?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.