Most Shocking/Upsetting TV Deaths

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by johnaltman, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

...and I remember thinking what the heck are they going to do now with the storyline, in retrospect they should have ended the series right then and there.

vegafleet likes this.
  2. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Agree. In an earlier Dexter season they hint for a second that the teenage Dexter had sexual feelings (at least an attraction) towards his stepsister (by adoption). They never did anything with that, but I thought that could have been a character/plot frisson for after Rita's dead.

Instead, they later went the other way, with the stepsister falling in love (her words) with Dexter. If that wasn't a chance for the show to become sicker and kinkier than before, with the intimation of incest, I don't know what was. They make the point many times that they both were such damaged individuals that nobody else understood them. Instead the show went all milquetoast and limp after that.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, she's really dead. The character has reappeared in flashbacks -- and once (memorably) as a ghost -- but she's really, most sincerely dead.

4. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

To me ... it was Thomas Magnum's death ... it seemed at the time like he had died but we learned later that he didn't. I remember my college roommates and I sitting there at the end of the episode really shocked & bummed thinking that he had died in a shootout.

5. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    My wife and I didn't like it when they killed her off, but dead is dead. Thanks for the heads up as I'll sleep better tonight.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Doctor Who - Adric's death in Earthshock: The death of a regular traveling companion on that show was relatively rare...especially at that point in the series. Even if he was a somewhat unpopular companion in certain respects, his death was a gut punch to many fans...especially those of us who were still fairly young at the time.

Blake's 7 - Nearly every major character, including Blake: No character was safe on this show, in a time when television series rarely killed off important regular characters. The only one left standing at the end was Avon...and some argue that he was killed too as we heard shots during the closing credits of the final episode.

Daz and Mylene like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Taraji Henson got a big role on Empire as well as an Emmy nomination, so she's doing great. She said that the showrunner on Person of Interest had told her when she was hired, "hey, this role is only going to be for a couple of years, and then we're going to kill you off in a spectacular way." She was good with that and kept the secret for a long time. Even the other cast members were caught by surprise. I think it actually added some unexpected depth to the show, and she did have a very good character.

8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------------------
    We didn't see it coming, so they kept a good secret. Very interesting show.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

With the most disappointing last season they could possibly have contrived.

Another disappointing last season (not in the Dexter category) with unexpected deaths was The Sopranos. I really didn't expect or care for everyone getting wiped out in the last two episodes.

10. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

He and Sandra Dee were good friends. Talk about tragedy...

Jeff

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Not a surprise, but Arnold Rothstein. The "jump ahead" made me realize before watching their would be no Rothstein...

But the most fascinating character had to be "mentioned away".

If the show didn't cost so much to produce, I would have done anything for a Rothstein/Chicago spin-off with Michael Stuhlbarg. His story, in itself, is amazing. And Stuhlbarg was fantastic (as he is in all his roles, though he still isn't a "star").

Jeff

Vidiot and vegafleet like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Or even worse, the handful of characters whose fate was left in the air, like Tony's sidekick Silvio who was wounded and left for dead. Is he alive? Is he dead? Is he brain-damaged? Now we'll never know.

Hell, I still want to know about the dying Russian mobster in the woods...

It seems a lot of these "caper" shows have one Achilles' heel. With Mission:Impossible, it was those silly rubber masks, which would never work in real life. With Person of Interest, it's that little app they have that instantly clones somebody's phone and allows you to hear every single thing they do, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I gotta hand it to the people in Mr. Robot: they established that the only way to listen in and spy on everything somebody is doing with their phone is to physically get the phone and load a spyware program on it (which they actually showed in an early episode). That was 100% real. You definitely can't clone somebody's phone merely by walking close to them in a crowd.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  13. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

We're a few years behind here in the States with the showing of The Eastenders. They show it on ch 21 in NYC. Man, tonight was the episode where Dennis got killed. I did not see that coming from what happened minutes earlier.
    Dennis was one of my favourite people on that show. I'm still shaking my head. Damn.

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Hawkeye's pal Tommy Gillis, in "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet".

[​IMG]

ohnothimagen and wayne66 like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Easily one of the best episodes of M*A*S*H ever. Nominated for a Writers Guild award (but didn't win). And it had Ronnie Howard as a guest star as a young shoulder, a year or two before Happy Days. Very moving episode.

"Rule Number One is young men die... and Rule Number Two is, doctors can't change Rule Number One."

wayne66 and ohnothimagen like this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Tara Maclay on Buffy

93curr likes this.
  17. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And I saw it live, as it happened. I always remember sitting on the living room floor (at 13 years old) watching the live coverage from Dallas, and seeing the whole thing. I also remember, my mother being in
    the kitchen, and me going in and saying "Mom, that Oswald guy just got shot........"

Gumboo likes this.
  18. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

At this point, that's certainly true. But back in Season 2 (?), when Shane turned and was killed (by Carl no less) it was big news everywhere, since he was the first major character to die on the show, and no one
    expected it (even though he was going psycho and a real pain in the a$$). But seeing him turning, from
    inside his mind, was a real shocker.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

See, I can understand Chase wanting to leave that unexplained, but what bothers me is that Tony had dealing with the Russians. He was actually funneling huge amounts of cash through a guy who considered the missing mobster to be like a brother. Paulie and Christopher only went over to the guy's apartment in the first place because Tony had dealings with his friend.

I didn't need a scene explaining what happened to him but I DID need a scene where we learned how Tony dealt with the guy's friend. Did the OTHER Russian guys never learn what happened to him? Were the other Russian guys suspecting foul play from Tony's crew? How were no one asking questions?

I love the idea of leaving a character's fate hanging like that, if only to leave both Paulie and the audience waiting for the other shoe to drop forever. (Or the cat to come out of the box, if you prefer) But you have to set it up in advance so there are no other connections, and they didn't do that.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, that was very disappointing, as was the entire shortened final season, in many ways.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

He wasn't asked back for season three of 'Hannibal' either.

23. phenri

phenri Forum Resident

This was back in the days when M*A*S*H was truly a great show.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The first 4 or 5 seasons was pretty good. But it got very preachy and heavy-handed after that.

25. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Okay, so it's not a "well loved character" and it's not even a human, but Dutch strangling that cat in The Shield was pretty shocking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.