Most valuable Frank Sinatra records.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Schoen, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Didn't I read somewhere that Sinatra recorded a special birthday message for Maureen Starkey that was pressed on Apple label? A copy of that would be worth a few dollars.

CBackley likes this.
  2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

You could go to the Sinatra Family Forum site as they have a nice chrono listing of his discs.

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

He reportedly also recorded a private birthday recording for Sammy that was rather risque.

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This probably isn't worth anything, but it's the coolest Sinatra 78 I own!

Attached Files:

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

What I find cool is that record is only six weeks younger than I am (cut late December 1947). Probably in better shape, from the looks of it.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

:laugh:

7. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I presume you mean the record was 'cut late' rather than yourself Bob? :)

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I seen 3 of them and they all had the W7 label, that's one of the few FS singles I'm looking for.

9. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Hardly valuable, but...

Here's a CD I never paid much attention to until today. It's one of those CDs that goes on Amazon or Ebay for a few bucks and a lot of bucks at the same time. It seems to contain some recordings where the same titles elsewhere are different takes, or maybe band remotes. It's a nice looking pressing and comes with a large foldout of something meant to look like a page from a newspaper.

Half.com lists it for $91.00 and it isn't available.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...ie=UTF8&qid=1299822647&sr=1-93&condition=used

Attached Files:

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Groan :winkgrin:

11. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

That's what I meant. Until Williams' duet with Nicole Kidman I hadn't heard a german radio station play the original version of "Something Stupid" in years.

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Frank Sinatra's first commercial studio recordings

Today is the day to listen to this compact disc. Not as valuable as the original Brunswick 78, but it sounds a lot better and it's still in print. Contains two takes each (primary and alternate) of "From the Bottom of My Heart" and "Melancholy Mood," recorded July 13, 1939, in New York City.
    Harry-James-Frank-Sinatra-Complete-1939.jpg
    (A third take of "From the Bottom of My Heart" has been discovered since this 1995 CD was released and is now available in the box set, A Voice in Time 1939-1952.)

13. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Just how rare is the original Christmas Songs By Sinatra 78 from 1948? I already own excellent to mint US copies of The Voice Of Frank Sinatra (1946), Songs By Sinatra (1947) and Frankly Sentimental (1949) as the original album sets as well as the 10" versions of Dedicated To You and Sing and Dance from 1950.

This Christmas 78 album set is the only one I haven't had a chance to get which is annoying when its the only remaining Columbia "album" I need! :realmad:

Actually now that I think of it would Dedicated and Sing and Dance be considered pretty rare considering the slump Sinatra's career was in at the time?

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

If relative price is any indication, a 1993 Sinatra price guide listed five of the six Columbia 78 album sets at $20 each. Only CHRISTMAS SONGS BY SINATRA was higher, at $30.

For the 10-inch LP versions, most were $60 in 1993. CHRISTMAS SONGS (first issue with gingerbread man cover) and DEDICATED TO YOU were $100. Second issue of CHRISTMAS SONGS (solid green vinylite cover) was $75.

Those prices were for gradings between "mint" and "near mint." I have no idea if they reflect "rarity" or how they compare to today's prices.

15. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Thank you Bob.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

For those who collect those shiny replacements for vinyl, there was another thread with a similar premise:
    [thread=266097]What are the rarest official Sinatra CDs?[/thread]​

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

One of these ultra-rare SINATRA JOBIM 8-tracks will soon be on public view in the small town of Roxbury, New York:

This is the cleanest copy I've ever seen photographed:

SinatraJobimEightTrack1.jpg SinatraJobimEightTrack2.jpg

P.S. Those with big wallets can pick up a copy right now on eBay. The auction ends in two days, but I guarantee that it won't sell for a song (if the reserve price is met):

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

^^^ Who got it, I wonder? Auction ended with a winning bid of US $3,669.09.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Looks like it's been unsealed and is being resold for a profit. Buy It Now price is US $6,500.00:

FRANK SINATRA & JOBIM 1969 Withdrawn 8 Track Tape ONLY 3 KNOWN! | eBay
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

quicksilverbudie and MMM like this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

More images from eBay:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

paulmock and MMM like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! An LP from UMe...PLEASE!!!!

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

McLover likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

This may be a dumb question, but what was the “joke” behind the gag reading of Gunga Din? Did he change the words? Read it in a humorous voice? Were there cheesy sound effects? Or just a commentary on his earlier Mandalay recording?

I found some discussion on the SFF, but it appears to be in the middle of a giant thread about the Reprise suitcase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.