Mothers of Invention-Absolutely Free-Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by driverdrummer, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you think of this 1967 album? How did people react to the album upon its release?

2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I only like Zappa from 1972-83. I find most of the 60s and 70-71 stuff either too simplish and outdated or so experimental it's not even enjoyable. Hot rats is fairly good and parts of We're only in it for the money is good. But Zappa took a big step in 1972 with much better composing skills and complicated music

3. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I really like this one. "Invocation And Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin" contains Zappa's first extended guitar solo on record (and it's awesome) and that for me is the high point of the record. I definitely don't think it's as good as Freak Out! which I like because it is more song-oriented and the songs are particularly strong. I do however prefer it to We're Only In It For the Money which shares AF's "continuous side" concept and is cool with some great moments, but is somehow sillier and more serious all at once. Absolutely Free is a transitional record and may not be as important as WOIIFTM or Freak Out!, but it nonetheless has its own charms and I find it a fun listen . . . in my Top 5 Zappa records . . .

1./2. Hot Rats
    1./2. Freak Out!
    3. Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    4. Absolutely Free
    5. We're Only In It For The Money

elaterium likes this.
  4. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Ruuutabeeeggga

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  5. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

It was one of the first records I ever listened to. I think it is a fantastic LP, expecially for its age. If the production sounds dated, the music certainly doesn't. Can you imagine a track like "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" in 1967?

My favourite from the era is "We're Only in It For The Money", but "Absolutely Free" remains, imho, a milestone. I also love the contrast between Ray Collins and Frank Zappa's voices (bless their souls). I think I like it more than "Freak Out!"

elaterium likes this.
  6. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

For me, this was and is The Mother masterpiece, the lode itself.

Revolver, samthesham, sberger and 2 others like this.
  7. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

"If she were my daughter I'd..."

:D

8. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

My favorite Zappa. Groovy and free and complex in equal measure. Wanna buy a pencil?

9. I bought it soon after it came out I had no idea who Zappa was or anything about it. I was about 13. Wow it was wild especially for the time. But I kept playing it. My parents thought it was really strange but were always great about my interests in all music.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

"His wife attended an orchid show...
    she squealed for a week to get him to go...."

"do you love it do you hate it there it is the way you made it....WAAH!"

Love this album!! :laugh:

I like this album more than WOIIFTM but it doesn't quite top Freak Out, imho.

funknik likes this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Heard it for the first time only when the first CD came out. Hated it, but mostly because it sounded so rotten. The 2012 remaster reveals a witty, musical and deeply insightful record. Have played it maybe 15 times since it was reissued a few months ago. Essential 60's fare imo.

12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

One of my favorites! Especially "side 2".
    Like most of his output, it has to be played as an album to fully receive the effect.
    The only problem i have with the album is that it sounds like all the vocals were all overdubbed in one session. Vocals sound rushed and perhaps could have been more precise. Ray Collins' vocals are great as expected!

13. IMO this album is a real let down after 'Freak Out'. I like tracks 6 through 9 the rest of it is tedious.

14. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

It's surely more challenging than Freak Out! or We're Only in It for the Money. Possibly the best early Mothers album (and early Mothers are my favourite Zappa).

15. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

only recently heard this for the first time based on member recs in the new FZ remasters thread........upon first listen, an unquestionable masterpiece. There's a part of it that actually sounds like Stereolab.....hard to believe.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

What would you do, Daddy??

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  17. F.Natural

F.Natural Well-Known Member

It's one of his core works. I love the Mothers stuff from that era. When it came out no one I knew bought it. Everyone I knew thought the Mothers were a bunch of clowns. This was the third Mothers album I owned, after 'We're Only In It For The Money' and 'Freak Out'. Frank's musical style was enough different that it provided a good balance to the other stuff I was listening to, like Moby Grape, Vanilla Fudge, Cream, the Beatles, Electric Flag, etc. My young teenage mind dug the cynical view of some of the lame behaviors of Americans. Definitely a positive influence.

18. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

"Cover that girl in chocolate syrup . . ."

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

1st lp i ever bought. love the early mothers 66-69.

krisbee and showtaper like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Brown Shoes Don't Make It is my favorite thing the MOI did prior to Uncle Meat

Robin L likes this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My favorite too. I know that it was considered a bit of a rush job, as they went so over budget on Freak Out, but perhaps it's the better for it. The "freaking out" parts of Freak Out actually detract from that album, IMO.

Indeed. And a prune is not a vegetable, a cabbage is a vegetable.

22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums period. Gives one a real appreciation for vegetables :)
    Wish it had a better production though.

23. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul Well-Known Member

I always thought this was a high point of the early Mothers. Love it!!

24. spideyjack

spideyjack Well-Known Member

America Drinks & Status Back Baby with the Stravinsky quote make it worthwhile but I prefer Money. I was only seven when it came out and unaware of it at the time. :)

25. ganma

ganma Senior Member

A work of genius. A friend made me a tape of this along with Only In It For the Money when I was 15 — totally blew me away. I can imagine how even more out there it must have sounded on initial release.
    How anyone could think this is a letdown after Freak Out is beyond me. Everything about this record is light years ahead of Freak Out in every way. It is a genre defying epic freed from the constrains of mid 60s rock and more mature than the 'freak out' on Freak Out. Here, Zappa's compositional skills begin to shine for the first time — time and tempo changes, pop songs, jazz/rock improv, spoken word etc all blend seamlessly together to form a cohesive whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.