Motley Crue HDCD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eric777, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist Thread Starter

I have several CDs from Motley Crue that are HDCD. Are these worth decoding? Before I do it I was just wondering what you all think. I have browsed through previous threads but I couldn’t find much info on whether or not there is any benefit.

Thank You

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

They are really loud IIRC even with decoding. I can't imagine decoding will help them much. I can listen again and get back to you. It has been a while since I listened to them. I stay with the original issued CDs.

eric777 likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

eric777 likes this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist Thread Starter

Thank you. I have the originals which do sound great. I don’t fully understand HDCD but apparently there is some peak extend on these tracks. I don’t fully know what that means.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I just ripped the HDCD layer and it made a HUGE difference. Especially on the first two albums. The HDCD layer sounds similar to the original Elektra pressings for Theatre through Feelgood, but TFFL and SATD are the best digital versions I have heard. I love Diament's TFFL, but it can be a bit boomy and I always thought there was some NR of some type on that one.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I just compared the Shout title track between the 1999 and Music to Crash set. The Crash set isn't as loud as the 1999 but then once the 1999 is HDCD decoded, it's the least loud and sounds best. I'll need to do some further comparisons with the original to see which I prefer but the HDCD decoded is definitely the best of the modern masterings.

artfromtex likes this.
  7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I found the HDCD tracks are quieter than the same tracks on Decade of Decadence.

rnranimal likes this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I just got the TFFL I checked out of the library. It has a 2000 copyright but is the later Eleven Seven pressing. The decoded waveform is exactly the same as the undecoded once normalized. Can anyone post a screenshot of a 1999 CD decoded? Were there really different HDCD encodings of these CDs?

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The Eleven Seven SATD decodes with more dynamic range than the undecoded CD, but not TFFL.

10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Once HDCD is decoded, I prefer SATD over the original Elektra CD. That's the one original Elektra I thought sounded pretty bad, which has a good bit to do with why I prefer the HDCD. The peak extension brings it into acceptable dynamic range.

TFFL. I still prefer the original Elektra. The HDCD doesn't have any peak extension info and I just don't care for the remastered CD sound. Loud and bright. Crash box is slightly better but still too loud and bright. I know it was said he real master was discovered and used for CD for the first time, but I'm not hearing more detail vs the Elektra CD. It just sounds boosted. Why would they have peak extension on some but not others?

Next one I'll be doing is GGG. But my quick test showed me still preferring the Elektra CD. I also have Dr Feelgood on the way. My library didn't have TOP or Demonic Relics.

artfromtex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.