Motley Crue's TFFL Leathur original mix: best SQ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wally Swift, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

I recently picked up the original Elektra CD of Motley Crue's debut LP Too Fast For Love and my love for this album has been revived after not hearing it in quite a long time.

I would like to get the best possible sounding version of the Leathur Records original mix. From what I can tell the original LP was repressed 2 times after the initial pressing. There is also a early Canadian pressing that has the Leathur Records mix. There also seems to be a promo only CD that is legit.

So.....

Are there mastering/pressing quality differences among the first 3 Leathur Records vinyl pressings?

Are there mastering/pressing quality differences between the above mentioned and the Canadian early pressing?

Is there really a legitimate promo CD from the master tapes?

I am assuming that the official release in the boxset, which is a needledrop is inferior to all above. Ditto the Hip-O-Select vinyl.

What is the best sounding version all things considered?

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Mats Crüe Page
    Mats Crüe Page

hi_watt and Wally Swift like this.
  3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I was in search for the same thing for a long time...and gave up about a true digital version from the mastertape.
    I ended up buying a 2nd pressing of the USA release and created a very nice needledrop.
    I ordered a canadian original cassette tape, including the first mix...I have to check it as soon as it has arrived if it is a rumour or true.
    About the promo only CD version: I suspect it is a bootleg...I never had the chance to listen to that CD...but it would be very interesting to know.

By the way: Thank you for creating this thread - maybe we will find a great digital version soon :)

TheLoveDrags and Wally Swift like this.
  4. Wally Swift

This site doesn't address any of my questions though. It's good for telling the different pressings apart but offers nothing in regards to SQ/Pressing quality. Unless I missed something?

LitHum05 likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would love to hear a good digital version. Can't be bothered to shell out $$$ for the LP though.

kevin5brown and TheLoveDrags like this.
  6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

...at the time I listen to my cleaned needledrop again and I think it sounds REALLY nice :) Not sure if a proper transfer would be possible from the original master reel (if it still exists) after more than 35 (!!!) years...

7. artfromtex

I believe the only differences are cosmetic. Same mastering on all 3 Leathur versions and Canadian Elektra with Leathur mix.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. artfromtex

The masters are lost.

I have a really nice 3rd pressing, but I have no means of needle dropping.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The 3 original pressings have slightly different sound between them, but all sound nice and personal preference would decide which is best. I have never heard the Canadian LP. The 1st pressing cassette also has the Leathur version. There is also a Leathur Records cassette. I used to have a CD transfer of it and remember the Canadian cassette sounding better.

The box set CD is a needle drop. It's not terrible but easily outdone. The channels are also swapped. I believe this is what was used for the Hip-O vinyl pressing, but not sure if they corrected the channels or not.

That "promo CD" is definitely a bootleg. It's a needle drop. It was ok at the time it came out, but has since been outdone by various fan made needle drops. There was a pressed CD and CD-R version of this "promo CD".

Pouchkine, artfromtex and Wally Swift like this.
  10. RichNY

RichNY Forum Resident

I have the 3rd pressing on Leathur. It's a Kendun and it sounds great.

Wally Swift likes this.
  11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I just picked one of these up. I will salivate a bit more before listening to it.

RichNY and Wally Swift like this.
  12. LitHum05

Yup. My new favorite copy of the record. Although I do sort of miss the cowbells on “Livewire.”

13. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

I've never heard this mix. What is different about it compared to the official album? Are all the songs earlier recorded versions, or is Too Fast just a remix of the Leathur version? :shrug:

14. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Looks like this is from one of the early LP pressings.

15. I have a 2nd pressing. Dr. Ebbett's did a needle drop for me which sounds quite nice. Where did you hear the masters are lost? That seems like a huge loss. I too would love a digital version from the master.
    Even if they are lost, they must have the multitracks as the Electra version obviously uses a lot of it.

Pouchkine likes this.
  16. Wally Swift

Scored a 3rd press today VG+/VG+ w/insert for $5. I also scored a Mono Doors self-titled in VG and a VG+/EX Ace Frehley '78 picture disc both for $5 also.

hi_watt and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  17. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

Probably mine, lost in Brooklyn Heights in 1990. Although mine was possibly a first press since I bought it at Zig Zag on Avenue U almost as soon as it was released. I'll find another someday.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Wally Swift

Miss that place. Recently reconnected with Phil D. on Facebook. He's doing well.

19. Wally Swift

This came from a large collection belonging to one person. Lots of Zeppelin boots, classic rock, Peter Hammill/Long Hello/VDGG, Gong, Yes, Genesis, some punk rock and dixieland Jazz.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

My original Canadian LP Leathur mix sounds awesome and it helps that it’s in mint condition.

I remember the Canadian Cassette sounding really good, and that promo CD is definitely a bootleg. Other than the boxset CD which is a needle drop, the mix never existed on CD.

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I remember hearing that for years but it was confirmed when Music to Crash Your Car To came out.

The problem is whether they recorded over any of the original multi-track elements when they re-recorded parts for Elektra. I fear there's a good chance that was done.

22. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

Whenever I think about Zig Zag I am overwhelmed with nostalgia and regret (that I never went back after I lost interest in metal in 86).

I was of course kidding about the copy you found (good work) being the one that originally belonged to me. Mine definitely wasn't a third press but I cannot remember if it had the red text on the cover or not. It seems unlikely I had one of the first 900 made, but looking at Discogs it was originally released on November 11, 1981. Assuming there was a review in that month's Kerrang! or in Sounds I would have bought the record over Thanksgiving break, so it's not impossible. Anyway, this isn't terribly interesting and I'll never know because I'm an idiot for losing all my records during the height CD mania.

Pouchkine and Wally Swift like this.
  23. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

Been looking for a lossless version for this for a long time with no luck :(
    Have the Boxset so I guess that will have to do

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  24. LitHum05

I paid close to $100 for the US third pressing. Have never—not once—regretted it.

kevin5brown and Wally Swift like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.