Motorhead - 'Bomber' and 'Overkill' 40th anniversary editions coming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Motörhead '79 website launched on 40th Anniversary of 'Overkill' and 'Bomber'

[​IMG]
    A mysterious new Motörhead website has been launched, Motorhead79.com.

A video was shared to Motörhead’s social media channels yesterday (22nd July) featuring the caption “We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for the following important news update… #Motörhead79”

The video depicts a retro seventies television situated in a living room adorned with Motörhead posters for their seminal 1979 albums ‘Bomber’ and ‘Overkill’ – both of which celebrate their 40th anniversary this year.

The TV then shows clips of 1979 hits by The Bee Gees (‘Too Much Heaven’), ABBA (‘Voulez-Vous’) and Buggles (‘Video Killed The Radio Star’) before, in stark juxtaposition, Motörhead tear onto the screen to blast through ‘Overkill’.

Linking through to Motorhead79.com, the website simply features the band’s iconic Snaggletooth mascot, the year ’79 and the words “coming soon.”

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Get your wallets ready.

[​IMG]

After several years of planning, Motörhead and BMG are delighted to announce the start of an exciting, extensive and detailed ultra-fan-friendly release programme spanning the band’s career from the 70s, ‘80’s, 90’s, and beyond!

Kicking things off with the Motörhead ‘79 campaign, it celebrates the 40th Anniversary of the incredible Overkill, and Bomber albums with fantastic new deluxe editions, both as hardbound bookpacks in two CD and triple LP format. The releases feature previously unheard concerts from the ’79 tours, interviews and many unseen photos. Also, the ’79 campaign will see the release of the spectacular ultimate fan / collectors 1979 Box-Set.

All three of these releases have been created with the full cooperation and involvement of the estates of Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister, “Fast” Eddie Clarke and Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor.

The 1979 Box Set contains:

- both the original Overkill and Bomber albums half-speed mastered and pressed on 180 gram vinyl created from the original master tapes
    - two double-live albums of previously unheard concert material from the ’79 tours
    - a 40-page period-accurate ‘music magazine’ featuring unseen photos and fresh interviews regarding the era
    - The Rest of ’79 Vinyl, featuring B-sides, outtakes and rare tracks
    - "No Class" 7" single with gatefold art
    - the Bomber tour programme
    - Overkill sheet music book
    - ’79 badge set
    - all encased in black biker jacket box

By going through the band’s extensive private archives, to receiving the assistance of key people who were part of their ’79 circle of friends, crew, and accomplices – as well as consulting with super fans – all parties are immensely proud to show the level of detail and commitment which has gone into all three of the ’79 releases, and which will continue with future projects. It was always Lemmy’s demand to give the fans the very best possible in every respect, we believe we have achieved that with these reissues.

A further element of the ’79 box-set release is to offer Motörfans new, old and in-betweenish the full scope and context of how life was when these classics were being created. 1979 was a seismic year for many reasons, and both Overkill and Bomber were written, recorded and toured against a Great Britain dealing with strikes, Margaret Thatcher, football hooliganism plus Buggles and the Bee Gees!

And on the 9th March 1979, millions of unsuspecting viewers tuned into the BBC’s Top Of The Pops to witness the loudest, most raucous, dangerous and downright exciting band on earth perform the title track of their album Overkill.

A hybrid of punk, rock and heavy metal played with relentless, ear-curdling power, Motörhead were a force of nature propelled by bassist & vocalist Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister, guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke and drummer Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor.

The alchemy between these three outrageous and utterly immortal men was nothing short of life-changing for millions, and all three shared a wonderful ‘mad band of brothers’ approach to life and music; there was no ‘off’ switch and they became legends as a result. Overkill and Bomber are icons, brain-damagingly brilliant to the nth degree, and their enormous influence still reverberates through all genres of music to this day.

See below for full details of the Overkill and Bomber releases and be sure to visit iMotorhead.com for news and updates!

Box set tracklisting

Overkill

Side One
    "Overkill"
    "Stay Clean"
    "(I Won’t) Pay Your Price"
    "I’ll Be Your Sister"
    "Capricorn"

Side Two
    "No Class"
    "Damage Case"
    "Tear Ya Down"
    "Metropolis"
    "Limb From Limb"

Bomber

Side One
    "Dead Men Tell No Tales"
    "Lawman"
    "Sweet Revenge"
    "Sharpshooter"
    "Poison"

Side Two
    "Stone Dead Forever"
    "All The Aces"
    "Step Down"
    "Talking Head"
    "Bomber"

Good N’Loud: Live At Friars, Aylesbury – 31st March 1979

Side One
    "Overkill"
    "Stay Clean"
    "Keep Us On The Road"
    "No Class"
    "Leaving Here"

Side Two
    "Iron Horse / Born To Lose"
    "Metropolis"
    "The Watcher"
    "Damage Case"

Side Three
    "Capricorn"
    "Too Late, Too Late"
    "I’ll Be Your Sister"

Side Four
    "I’m Your Witchdoctor"
    "Train Kept A-Rollin’"
    "Limb From Limb"
    "White Line Fever"
    "Motörhead"

Sharpshooter: Live At la Rotunde, Le Mans – 3rd Nov 1979

Side One
    "Overkill"
    "Stay Clean"
    "No Class"
    "Metropolis"

Side Two
    "All The Aces"
    "Dead Men Tell No Tales"
    "I’ll Be Your Sister"
    "Lawman"
    "Too Late, Too Late"

Side Three
    "Poison"
    "Sharpshooter"
    "Capricorn"
    "Train Kept A-Rollin’"

Side Four
    "Bomber"
    "Limb From Limb"
    "White Line Fever"
    "Motörhead"

The Rest Of ‘79

Side One
    "Too Late, Too Late" (Overkill 7" B-Side)
    "Like A Nightmare" (Alternative version of No Class B-Side)
    "Over The Top" (Bomber 7" B-Side)
    "Stone Dead Forever" (Alternative Version)
    "Sharpshooter" (Alternative Version)

Side Two
    "Bomber" (Alternative Version)
    "Step Down" (Alternative Version)
    "Fun On The Farm" (Bomber Outtake)
    "Treat Me Nice" (Bomber Outtake)
    "You Ain't Gonna Live Forever" (Bomber Outtake)

No Class 7”

Side One
    "No Class"

Side Two
    "Like A Nightmare"

3. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

4. Let’s hope the mastering is better than the previous 2 disc Deluxe Editions.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

If it's loud, I pass....

Kossoff is God likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Hmm, all I'd love to see is a DVD of the Lemmy - Philthy - Eddie line up in their prime and it's not here.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

One of the discs is called 'Good N' Loud'. Will you pass if it's also good?

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

fingers crossed

This deluxe two CD, 20 page mediabook includes:
    · The Overkill album; brand new master created from the original tapes for optimal lawn killing / wall-shaking dynamic range.

mark winstanley and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

BMG already started reissuing their albums this year with all of the studio and live albums from 1995 to present.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

So if I buy on CD I get none of the Rest Of '79 material....

I'm out......I'm a bit burned and tired of re-issue material.

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

They’re double CDs so it most likely includes that material. Looks like the same material from the deluxe editions of those albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Will be interested to see more info on mastering when available. Not optimistic. IIRC every remaster since the late 90s or early 2000s has been less than ideal. Crankable, non-clipped versions would be nice to have.

metalrules and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Definitely in for these, love these albums and live Motörhead is always cool. Curious who’s doing the mastering. Maybe Andy Pearce? He’s done a lot of the Hard Rock/Metal reissues as of late and I seem to recall him having a good track record around these parts, so he would be an ideal candidate for these remasters. The fact that they say anything about dynamic range is interesting, most remasters don’t even mention it...

14. mhb2862

mhb2862 Active Member

No, the tracklist for the 2CD is available. The previously released bonus tracks aren't on the new CDs. Those can only be found on the vinyl. The second disc of the CDs are the previously unreleased live shows. Also exclusive to the vinyl are two never before heard demos. The bonus tracks found on the vinyl were previously released on either the deluxe editions of Bomber and Overkill, or on rarities compilations like Tear Ya Down/Stone Dead Forever.

As for what the mastering will sound like, probably a safe bet it will match the RSD Overkill/Bomber single released earlier this year. The single edit of Overkill can be heard online if you want to give that a listen. But they're advertising half speed mastering for the vinyl set and they mention the phrase "dynamic range" in their ads, so I'd say they're at least making an attempt for some good sounding releases.

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Here are the 2cd edition tracklistings:

· The Overkill album; brand new master created from the original tapes for optimal lawn killing / wall-shaking dynamic range.
    · Live album of a newly unearthed, previously unreleased concert, recorded at Friars in Aylesbury on 31st March 1979.
    · Interviews with key players, accomplices, and various guilty parties in the world of Mötorhead in 1979.
    · Never before seen photos and rare memorabilia.

Tracklist

DISC ONE - Overkill

Overkill
    Stay Clean
    (I Won't) Pay Your Price
    I'll Be Your Sister
    Capricorn
    No Class
    Damage Case
    Tear Ya Down
    Metropolis
    Limb from Limb

DISC TWO - Live at Aylesbury Friars, 31st March 1979

Overkill
    Stay Clean
    Keep Us On the Road
    No Class
    Leaving Here
    Iron Horse / Born to Lose
    Metropolis
    The Watcher
    Damage Case
    (I Won't) Pay Your Price
    Too Late, Too Late
    I'll Be Your Sister
    I'm Your Witchdoctor
    Train Kept A-Rollin'
    Limb from Limb
    White Line Fever
    Motörhead

· The Bomber album; brand new master created from the original tapes for optimal lawn killing / wall-shaking dynamic range.
    · Live album of a newly unearthed, previously unreleased concert, recorded at La Rotunde in Le Mans on 3rd November 1979.
    · Interviews with key players, accomplices, and various guilty parties in the world of Mötorhead in 1979.
    · Never before seen photos and rare memorabilia.

Tracklist

DISC ONE - Bomber

Dead Men Tell No Tales
    Lawman
    Sweet Revenge
    Sharpshooter
    Poison
    Stone Dead Forever
    All the Aces
    Step Down
    Talking Head
    Bomber

DISC TWO - Live at La Rotunde, Le Mans 3rd November 1979

Overkill
    Stay Clean
    No Class
    Metropolis
    All the Aces
    Dead Men Tell No Tales
    I'll Be Your Sister
    Lawman
    Too Late, Too Late
    Poison
    (I Won't) Pay Your Price
    Sharpshooter
    Capricorn
    Train Kept A-Rollin'
    Bomber
    Limb from Limb
    White Line Fever
    Motörhead

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No BBC Sessions on this either, so keeping the previous deluxe editions is essential. I'll pass, I love Motorhead and these are two of their best, but I have superb condition original UK vinyl, Overkill is on green vinyl, as well as the original 45s and the previous deluxe editions. If they are excellent recordings I could be tempted by the 2CD sets for the live stuff, depending on price.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This interests me as I don't care much for the sound of the remasters I have. It's adequate, but I much prefer the vinyl. These albums should sound phenomenal on CD, but I haven't heard it yet. I haven't heard the old Castle Classics discs.

18. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

From the official Motörhead page, live “Bomber” from the new deluxe reissue. Also on Spotify and Apple Music

Anno likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

When it says “ultra-fan-friendly release programme” in the press release I believe it based on the previous BMG reissues from Kreator, Saxon, etc. They’ve all been very inexpensive to buy. And the 13 Motörhead reissues from BMG earlier this year were all very inexpensive.

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Andy Pearce
    Yep, Pearce (and Wortham) have effected remasters for recent BMG titles. Thinking of ELP. It's a very good chance, I'd say, that he'll be involved, and I'm already pumped reading that hype sticker. You're right, when did remasters ever hype dynamic range as a selling point? Looks promising. P.S. I want that leather jacket super deluxe edition!

RockDude4492 likes this.
  21. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

They did all the Noise stuff (except Celtic Frost), to the best of my knowledge, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were on this too.

22. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

Exciting, but I'm gonna hold off until I hear more about how these sound or who's mastering them. I did not like the 2015 vinyl remasters, and personally I'd rather get just the single albums on vinyl in their original form with nice artwork and without the bonus material.

23. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Great that the Motörhead legacy is kept alive, let's hope the estates get their respectice shares.
    For us formists wanting good digital copys, just get the original Castles, as they sell for peanuts now that CD prices plunge (all categories).

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  24. inglorious

inglorious Forum Resident

No remastering on these according to a post from the official Facebook.

Deuce66 likes this.
  25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I'm in for the live shows.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.