Mott the Hoople/Mountain recordings coming soon-Record Store Day 4/21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SonicBob, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mott the Hoople and Mountain Supergroup to Release Lost Album

I remember reading about these recording sessions in Campbell Devine's bio on Mott and Ian Hunter(first published in 1998) a few years ago and always thought that this should be released and heard. Now it appears to be a reality. Can't wait to check this out!

2. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

There have been previous releases of the Secret Sessions. As a fan of Hunter/Ronson and Steve Hunter, it’s okay.

SonicBob and footlooseman like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i think i heard bits of this and was not "blown away" but still cool and two bands i liked from the 70's for sure.

SonicBob likes this.
  4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, been out on CD already for about 20 years. Considering the talent on it it is pretty disappointing/forgettable. Would have been better to have stayed secret IMO. Guess this is the first release for it on vinyl though (?). Pretty funny that the press blurb above forgets to say it already was released years ago on CD.

The track running order looks shuffled around on this new release though, plus it has a couple bonus tracks (re-recordings by Corky Laing's current band available as "downloads" according to the press blurb above).

Here's a link to the CD version on Amazon that came out in 1999:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Sessions-Various-Artists/dp/B000006CS8

SonicBob likes this.
  6. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to @TeddyB , @malco49 , @sharedon and @slipkid for the links, info and comments. I didn't realize that this had already been released on CD back in '99 . Good to know that I should have a few reservations before listening to it. From reading the info. thru Campbell Devine's bio, it sounded good on paper(which, perhaps, that was the case from the beginning?!), but thought I'd share the news link. Again, thanks guys.:righton:

slipkid, TeddyB and sharedon like this.
  7. spewey

spewey Senior Member

It’s been a long time since I’ve listened to the cd of this... but I do remember the early rough version of “The Outsider” was interesting. Other than that it didn’t leave much of an impression on me. I’ll have to listen again... maybe it’s aged better for me :D

malco49 likes this.
  8. Just FYI.....Corky Laing's 'current band' includes forum member 'MarkyTheM' a.k.a. Mark Mikel of "The Pillbugs." They've already done a run of gigs. One in Ohio in late December and several in New York in February. More are scheduled for October across the pond.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.