Mott the Hoople reunites again!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, if you want to argue that Bender and Fischer were as important to the Hoople and their legacy as Clapton and Page were to the Yardbirds, have at it. You won't find many takers, but feel free.

2. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Clueless.

savemenow likes this.
  3. Thus proving that only the fanboys would buy such a comparison.

4. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I agree. An awful lot of negativity towards this and Ian, but if he brings this to the Philly area for a show I'll get tickets immediately.

JDeanB and chickendinna like this.
  5. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Still not quite getting it are you Dud?

6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

This is meant to make it up to Luther and Morgan that they were excluded from the previous reunions. Of course it isn’t the same as the originals reuniting in 2009. There are a lot of fans of the Hoople-era group though too. I prefer the original group and thought the 2009 Hammersmith shows were truly fantastic (the 2013 at the O2 less so) but that’s me.

Gardo likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Those shows seem to be generally well-regarded by people who were there. I also prefer MtH with Mick Ralphs but I think Grosvenor/Bender was a good replacement on stage. A shame he's virtually invisible on The Hoople album.

JDeanB likes this.
  8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I often forget that Ronson was ever a member of the band - although he was for one single and some live dates. It was not a happy time for Watts and Griffin, who are the only people (afaia) to have spoken negatively of Ronson (though maybe Mainman/deFries can be blamed for that situation - Ronson was still seen at that point as 'the next Bowie' and was being given the superstar treatment by his management company).

My impression is that Hunter never wanted to dominate the band: supposedly, he offered Ralphs half his (Hunter's) royalties if he'd stay. But I don't think the others members were strong or prolific songwriters, nor did they have 'frontman skills', so Hunter dominated by default.

9. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Without the money grab the music would never have made it to my turntable.

10. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

I believe it's going to be Steve Holley on drums.

linclink and JDeanB like this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Don't get me wrong, the shows didn't suck, but a lot of the energy that I had previously seen onstage seemed to have been gone. That whole aim for the rafters attitude, correct notes be damned, wasn't there. I thought Queen blew them away that night.

12. I've been asked to join the band, so I'll be leaving for Spain.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'm getting a mental picture of a stage crowded with musicians. Maybe an attempt will be made at replicating the Wizzard/Spectoresque sound of The Hoople album? In which case, can we expect stuff like Foxy, Foxy (non-album single but the point holds) to be dusted off?

14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Mott’s live sound changed irrevocably when Verden Allen left. Ralphs was obviously central to their sound as well, but the whole Dylan-rocks-out, Hammond organ, early seventies mash-up of sound that was early Mott left with Verden. Ian did a yeoman’s job filling the holes through force of personality.

Siegmund and ralphb like this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Mechnically I guess the billing is accurate. Emotionally, or emottionally, I think this is most un-mottlike. This thread only exists because of the earlier incarnations of Mott.

Why don't great bands re-unite when key members are still vertical?

JDeanB likes this.
  16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Well....they almost did: the 2009 reunion featured all the surviving members who were able to perform, the exception (of course) being Buffin who was too ill to make the gig (but did show up on stage for the final show and apparently was there for the final show in 2013, as well).

I've read that the group very nearly reformed in 1981 but the planets weren't quite in alignment. A bitter irony, as Buffin was reportedly the member most keen to re-unite.

18. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

I thought they played with two drummers Buffin and the guy from The Pretenders.

19. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Ian Hunter says, “Looking forward to realigning with my old Mott the Hoople mates – the Great Ariel Bender and the Sartorial Morgan Fisher at Ramblin’ Man Fair in June. Both toured extensively with Mott and both were featured heavily of ‘The Hoople’ album after Mick Ralphs and Verden Allen left the band. I know many people were disappointed when neither appeared on the ’09 and ’13 get-togethers – hope this makes up for it!”

Nuff said!!

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Buffin was not well enough to drum, though I think he might have 'participated' in one of the encores. Martin Chambers was the drummer for all the reunion gigs.

linclink likes this.
  21. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

It's not that I'm positing that Grosvenor and Bender are as important to MTH as Clapton & Page were to Yardbirds, but you seemed to dismiss them (L.G. & M.F.) as almost completely irrelevant, so I just extended your logic (the one album logic) to Clapton/Page/Yardbirds to demonstrate that only contributing to "one proper album" (or less in the case of Clapton to Yardbirds) is not a good basis on which to judge worthiness.

Ethan B likes this.
  22. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Buffin drummed on the encores at Hammersmith along with Martin Chambers. His playing could be heard in the hall.

23. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Of course I meant Grosvenor and FISHER in the above post. Hadn't had my morning coffee yet!

24. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

On my drive to work this morning, Dusty Street (by far my least favorite DJ on XM these days) referenced the reunion with "three original members". :sigh:

melstapler likes this.
  25. Maybe my memory isn't complete but I did think he played some percussion. If Ian's having a blast playing with the other members who joined the band later, I don't have a problem with him calling it Mott The Hoople--I mean they WERE members even if not original members. If Ian wants to do it, it seems he has the right to do it IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.