Mountain- setlist. best of live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

See the reviews below the CD information - all you want to know.

3. Matthew Tate

i don't trust one of those reviews because he has some info about the bands history way wrong. as far as i know the first 2 tracks on the bands 1972 live album ROAD GOES EVER ON have always been mentioned as being recorded at woodstock yet the guy with the know it all review says that entire album was recorded in the early 70's. i was hoping someone on here owned it and could tell me what the actual booklet says

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The cover notes on Setlist Live list the first 2 tracks as being recorded at Woodstock. I don't know how they compare to the Road Goes On Forever.

5. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The booklet is correct, and Mr. Know-it-All is all wrong! Both the first tracks are ftom Woodstock. There is a partial soundboard tape in existence that Voiceprint Records used for their official 2005 CD release, so everybody with some interest can hear (by the music and the annuncements) that has both these tracks are from the festival and were used by Felix Pappalardi for "The Road Goes Ever on", though undated and uncredited as Woodstock.

Crossroader is the third track from side one of said live album; Nantucket Sleighreide from side two was indeed recorded at NYC's Academy of Music on Dec. 14, 1971, but Crossroader was NOT (I checked, the version on the album is longer)! No idea where where that track was taken from. However, it must be from late 1971/early 1972, as they only played it towards the end of their first incarnation. There was a contemporary poster or magazine ad for the LP that said the (whole!) album was recorded at Rainbow Theater in London. That is false of course, but Mountain did play the Rainbow in Nov. 1971 and in Feb. 1972, so at least "Crossroader" may have been recorded on one of these occasions.

The rest of the CD looks like mostly a compo of tracks off "Flowers of Evil", and "The Millenium Collection"; not sure about "Theme For an Imaginary Western". That and "Blood of The Sun" may be the two not-Woodstock tracks that originally appeared on Woodstock II double album. Just speculating though, I would have to listen to make sure. Hope this helps. And no, I don't know-it-all, I'm just a mountainatic. :)

Lez ahoy!
    Th:)mas

John Fell likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

i might look into it. i've seen a site that list 4-5 of the tracks towards the end as being unreleased. not sure if its true though.

since you are a big mountain do you have the newer double live album ERUPTION or the dvd SEA OF FIRE?

also how are all of those bootleg series recordings?

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Bootleg series is a mixed bag from what I recall, some sound better than others. I only have some of the ones with the classic Mountain line up.

8. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Well, a mixed bag, I'd say. I only have a few as I already acquired most of the recordings used by Voiceprint prior to their releases.

However, I'd strongly recommend "Live at Capitol Theater 30 December 1973"
    http://voiceprint.com.br/ps/en/rock/907-mountain-live-at-the-capitol-theater-1973.html

This has the uncut, untweaked recording of that show as opposed to King Biscuit's butchered version with Perry and Felix' bass mixed down to zero. UGH!

However, since KBFH's source tape or reel ends midway through "Nantucket Sleighride", KBFH added the "Whole Lotla Shakin/Roll Over Beethoven" medley from the 2nd show on the same night, plus Mississippi Queen from Nov. 6, 1974, rec. in Detroit to somewhat fill up their CD. My suggestion: get yourself both CDs, the are available cheap, these days and burn yourself something like this - and have a great sounding monster show:
    1. INTRO
    2. YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT
    3. THEME FOR AN IMAGINARY WESTERN
    4. NEVER IN MY LIFE
    5. GET OUT OF MY LIFE, WOMAN
    6. NANTUCKET SLEIGHRIDE
    7. ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN / *
    8. WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN‘ GOIN‘ ON *
    9. MISSISSIPPI QUEEN **
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOTAL 63:30 min.
    NEW JERSEY, CAPITOL THEATER
    DECEMBER 30, 1973 (early show, speed corrected by +1,1%)
    * DECEMBER 30, 1973 (late show, make up for cancelled Dec. 29, 1973 show, originally broadcast February 10, 1974)
    ** DETROIT, COBO HALL – November 3, 1974 (trio line-up)

9. Matthew Tate

10. Matthew Tate

bump if anyone has any more info

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My take on the Bootleg series is that I avoid ALL of them. You have no idea what the actual show might be, or what the quality sounds like. They are just a cash grab and a slap in the face to the fans.

I bought one of them from a show I was at in the 80's. The actual setlist on the CD did not match the tracks listed. Some songs cut and the whole thing ran very short. The audio was obviously taken from an audience tape and not a very good one either. I was suspicious it wasn't even the right show.

I would have had no problem with all of that if I had been given any sort of answers about it when I asked Corky at a show later as he sat at the merch table selling the things, in fact I would even have bought more just to support them if any of my questions were treated with respect. But when I tried to ask Corky about the specific CD in question, how come the tracks don't match, how can I know what show it was really from, who can I ask for more details, etc he said something like "we have nothing to do with the CDs, we just sell them" and he could not have cared less that fans were buying stuff that might not even be correct (let alone be incomplete or sound like crap). If the artist shows that type of disinterest in what they are selling their fans then the fans should act the same way and not buy the stuff!

12. Matthew Tate

Thanks for the comments on the bootleg series.

no one has comments though on the dvd or Eruption or if the bands albums are silver top cds or look like the one I posted the eBay link to

13. Matthew Tate

hey here is an ebay listing for setlist that lists the dates of the recordings. can you confirm or deny anything that is right or wrong. my guess after reading it
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Se...111490199346?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item19f5556f32

-tracks 1-3 appear to be from ROAD GOES EVER ON but "crossroader" is a bit longer somehow. something that was cut on ROAD GOES EVER ON?
    - tracks 4-6 appear to be from TWIN PEAKS. there are a bit of diffrences in the lengths but not much
    - last track appears to be from FLOWERS OF EVIL. again there is a time difference going by amazons MP3 listing but again maybe there was something cut
    - rest says unreleased

14. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Haha, I was just about to reply to your post. TNX for the helpful pic. I just ordered this set in oder to find out about all the origins of the tracks. There is no date indicated for Crossroader, and I understand that is because no one has found out so far! My take is that is is from the London Rainbow show either in Nov. 1971 or Feb. 1972.

The rest seems to be all previously available tracks from the well-known official releases: the 12/31/70 tracks are from the Millenium Collection, the 27/6/71 tracks are from FLOWER OF EVIL. The only track that would really be unreleased is SILVER PAPER, also from the Fillmore East closing night. That monster I have always missed a lot on the FOE live side. I would have rather had this instead of Lez' Guitar Noise Clinic. A pretty good (though not exactly EX) 60 min. FM recording of that show is floating around in collectorland but maybe the version here is really of superior quality, i.e. taken from the same source/master as the other live stuff that appears on FOE. Bought the CD especially to check that. :)
    Hope this helps a wee bit.
    Mountain ahoy!
    Th:)mas

15. Matthew Tate

thats not a release sanctioned by the band or a label it was part of which is why this release lists them as previously unreleased.

16. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yup, I'd second that. But they obviously nicked these tracks from that collection - and got the date for BABY, I'M DOWN wrong. This is (AFAIK) from Morrision, Red Rocks Amthitheater, Aug. 11, 1970, and had been dropped from the set by late 1970.

17. Matthew Tate

oh wow, a few errors. what is more annoying is this collection and other mountain releases lets you know sony/legacy has more stuff sitting in the vault.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Some of the bootleg series releases are pretty good like San Bernardino '71, Shrine Auditorium and New Years Eve; even if the sound quality is less than stellar on ocassion.

19. Matthew Tate

so those are the best sound quality or best overall performances?

20. Vol 14 The Bootleg Series is the best of the bunch. It is out of print and costs a lot if you can find one .It was recorded at the Fillmore and is an excellent show . It came out as The Millineum Concert in the late 80's bought it at a store called pick and save [ big lots now ] for $9.99. Played it to death then one day cd 1 fell out of the case and got all scratched. took me many years but my favorite down load site finally had a ton of Mountain recordings and there it was took half the day but I had more mountain than I knew what to do with

21. Matthew Tate

i see it right now on amazon. looks like it can still be had for $16 new

22. Amazing a couple of years ago it was going between $80.00 to a $100.00 on Amazon and Ebay

23. Matthew Tate

according to leslie wests facebook page he is working on a new album titled SOUNDTRACK AT THE SUMMIT. there is a contest going on to create the album cover art. he is tracking the songs now. appears a mid 2015 release is what he is working towards

24. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Shrine? Are you sure?

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Clearly a typo. Olympic Auditorium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.