Mounting an Ortofon 2M Cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Crabcakes, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabcakes

Crabcakes Member Thread Starter

Hi, new member here.

I am thinking about adding an Ortofon cartridge (2M Bronze or Super OM 30) to my system.

Have any forum members mounted a 2M series cartridge in a TK-24? If so, did you have to trim the sides of the sled to fit it properly?

I currently have a Dual 721 & 1249 that I would like to use with the Ortofon.

My other carts are a Shure V15iii (HE stylus) and a AT150SA.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would imagine all the useless plastic in the 2M Series bodies can make mounting on a sled a bit of an issue for some turntables that use such an arrangement. I would probably stick with the OM series for that sort of thing, just to be safe. I have seen OM carts on many Dual decks, so they probably work quite fine.

3. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

I have the 2m Bronze on my Technics sl-1200mkii. I have nothing to add to the conversation apart from the fact that I'm very happy with this cart. I had it professionally mounted by the local hi-fi shop.

4. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I know very well the AK-47, but I never operated a TK-24... One thing I know, if you already have a V15III and an AT150SA be prepared to be puzzled, troubled and finally underwhelmed by 2Ms and OMs

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Crabcakes

Thanks for the replies. Anyone with a Dual turntable the utilizes a TK14 or TK24 sled mounted the 2M series Ortofon?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Maybe try asking this question on Audiokarma. Lots of Dual fans over there. Someone must know if the fat cart body will fit or not.

Clucking likes this.
  7. Crabcakes

Ok, I get it. You don't like Ortofons and Dual turntables.

I'll exit the forums. Who needs this kind of advice!

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Seriously, calm down.

How you make a HUGE logical leap from that is beyond me.

I was merely telling you that there are MANY more Dual users and experts on those TTs over at AK than there are here. Someone over there would likely have an answer for you.

Or you can wait it out here and listen to the crickets...JEEZ!

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Patient OT's suggestion sounded like friendly advice and a good suggestion to me, and he didn't say anything that reads as dislike of Ortofons.

McLover and patient_ot like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't dislike Ortofons as a whole. They have good carts and bad ones, just like every brand on the planet. The problem with the 2M series is despite using the same basic internal design as the OM series, Ortofon decided to put a big hunk of plastic around the generator, which makes it unsuitable for some tonearms and headshell designs. The reason I said to go to AK is because someone there would be able to tell OP definitely if the fat 2M body would fit or not, or if OP needs to buy an OM series Ortofon cart instead. I do know the OM series fits, because I see lots of people running them on Dual TTs. One of my own TTs won't work with the 2M series either, but will work with an OM, if I wanted to put one on that TT.

McLover likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agree with patient_ot here. No ax to grind against Ortofon. But the 2M Body has so much extra plastic around the generator, that it's a cartridge hard to mount on some turntables, especially those with unusual cartridge mounts, like the Dual TK series mounts, and the ELAC/Miracord cartridge mounts. It may be easier to mount an Ortofon OM on one of these type arrangements.

vwestlife and patient_ot like this.
  12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

They did something else other than change the body when they developed the 2M -- and for the worse. Look at the specs of the OM series compared to, for example, 2M Bronze. The OM30 and 2M Bronze are roughly comparable, yet for some reason the "improved" 2M Bronze only tracks to 80 uM vs. 90 uM on the OM30. The compliance specs are totally different as well. Oh, and they've priced the 2M series much higher. IMO, the OM is the far better option. Better performance and price.

EDIT: The Super OM series have essentially the same specs as the regular OM. Again, cheaper and better than the 2M series.

McLover and patient_ot like this.
  13. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The 2M is just an OM series cartridge with a lot of extra translucent plastic on the stylus housing to make it look pretty. You can even mount an OM stylus on it:

[​IMG]

ryaneagon, Yam Graham and patient_ot like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And thusly, I prefer OM to 2M for those reasons, and for the versatility. You have many stylus options for OM, which 2M does not have. I keep an OM body at the ready. And indeed, much better performance for less expense.

snorker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.