Movie Duologies-A Rare Breed

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Movie trilogies are a dime a dozen, but movie duologies are a much rarer breed. They’re so rare that it’s pretty easy for me to list the ones that I’m aware of without having to look them up.

Kill Bill Vol. 1/Kill Bill Vol. 2
    Young Guns/Young Guns II
    Escape From New York/Escape From L.A.
    Gremlins/Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure/Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey (A duology for the time being.)
    48 Hours/Another 48 Hours
    Home Alone/Home Alone 2 (Technically, not a duology, as there were two additional films produced with different actors that went straight to video.)
    Speed/Speed 2: Cruise Control

Though not a duology, Halloween and Halloween II would have made for a very good duology if the series had stopped there.

Rarer still are duologies that are planned to be duologies in advance. Of the films listed, only Kill Bill seems to be a duology that was planned to be a duology in advance.

There are many others. Feel free to add any that come to mind.

2. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

National Treasure 1&2. Not great cinema but I’m surprised Nic Cage didn’t make it a trilogy.

3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Godfather I/Godfather II ;)

4. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Those truly were a duology for 16 years till Coppola had financial troubles. :) Of course, many trilogies are essentially "duologies" plus one trip to the well too many.

saborlord123, arley, Claus LH and 2 others like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The Hustler / The Color of Money

6. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

7. Cat People / Curse of the Cat People

8. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

It wasn't. It was planned and produced to be one film. Harvey Weinstein himself supposedly suggested Tarentino split it in half because an early cut ran over three hours. Tarantino agreed after realizing he wouldn't have to lose footage to have it released that way.

MLutthans, lightbulb and Encuentro like this.
  9. Encuentro

True Grit/Rooster Cogburn

10. Encuentro

Ah, you learn something new everyday. Thank you for that.

11. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Lord of the Rings (1978) was supposed to have a sequel to cover the rest of the book trilogy. This never came to pass and I was disappointed.

When the 2001-2003 trilogy assisted by CGI was released it kind of made the sequel to the 1978 animated movie somewhat moot.

[​IMG]

Juan Matus likes this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

House and House II.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Weirdly, the Rankin-Bass Hobbit/Return of the King is sort of a duology, though they were made for TV. Of course Return doesn't make much sense without Bakshi's LOTR's being viewed in the middle.

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

15. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Superman, Superman II

Any charitable film fan has no recollection of any more Superman films released after the first two...ever. :D

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Dune

Face it - is there anybody ever came out of David Lynch's version, who didn't think they'd just sat through two whole movies...? ;)

arley likes this.
  18. Encuentro

@JozefK, I was aware of the apparent inconsistency, but my use of “rare” and “rarer” are relative to the number of trilogies that exist. A large number of something can exist but can be small next to a much larger number. There are eight million people in New York City. That’s a lot of people but a relatively small number compared to the seven billion people on the planet.

19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. Too bad they never made any more of those movies. :D

20. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Blade Runner currently is, though it may not stay that way.

21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Kurosawa's Yojimbo and Sanjuro

22. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

23. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

“The Vampire” and “The Vampire’s Coffin” (a 1950s Mexican horror film duology).

24. Encuentro

I have to ask. How old were you when you saw Jedi? And did you feel differently about it then? I’m of the opinion that how a film makes you feel when you first see it has to count for something, regardless of whether or not your feelings have changed over the years. I saw it in the theater in 1983, and it blew my ten-year-old self away. I guess my example isn’t the best, as I’m still a fan of the film. However, it’s my least favorite of the original trilogy, whereas I’m pretty sure it was my favorite back in ‘83.

25. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I was 13 when it came out and I liked it well enough at the time. You may have been like this too, but I remember just being caught up in the idea of it. We stood in line for hours to get our tickets, I pored over magazines looking for any little bit of information about the story, and since this was the year after so many great science fiction films -- 1982 -- it felt like this was going to be some kind of pinnacle. But over the years I became less and less enamored of Jedi and began seeing its weaknesses. It has a lot of good individual elements but for me it doesn't work as a whole like the first two.

IronWaffle and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.