Movie & Music Collectors...A Question?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Movie & Music Collectors...A Question?
    OK, How do you guys deal with a Large Movie and or Music collection? I find I have days of not wanting ANYMORE and days of I NEED and WANT more! WTF!? is this just crazy. Just wondering If I am alone on this craziness?

2. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

SwapaCD & SwapaDVD are an online way for me to trade stuff I no longer need for other things. When the storage gets tight, I make decisions as to what I REALLY want and what I really DON'T want. Some CDs I do try to trade locally, but there's not much I want to trade that the used shops want.

Michael likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Put it all in boxes in the garage.

aussievinyl and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

unless DVDs are OOP they are pretty much valueless in the buy back world...I cannot part with most of my collection I would truly miss them. sad. Swapa sound interesting though...

xdawg likes this.
  5. Michael

NEVER! then I could have them to look at and decide what to watch.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My collection takes up almost no space as I keep everything on hard disk(s). I'm also very selective in what I archive. Ill only keep stuff I really, really like and can see myself watching or listening to many times into the future.

7. DreadPikathulhu

I have all of the movies catalogued on my computer and they are all in plastic storage bins in the garage, so I can quickly find what I want in about 15 minutes.

The CD's are all ripped in lossless format on a server and can be played at the touch of a button. Those are harder to get to.

When I get my mansion with a separate media library, I'll display them all on a shelf again.

xdawg likes this.
  8. Michael

sometimes I wish I can get to that level...have not been successful doing do.

9. Michael

yes, I was in that situation when we rented...now I have an extra room dedicated to music and movies..

10. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

A few years ago I decided to limit my DVD collection to about 2,000 (limited by storage space). I got rid of less wanted titles to get down to that number. If I want more some must go. I am thinking about doing the same with CDs

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You are not alone. I can't bypass a CD shop like FYI if I come across one ina mall, for example. But by the time I get into the "J"s or "K"s I get weary and say to myself "why do I bother, I have sooo much stuff already". And then I cintinue flipping through the "L"s, "M"s, etc. :)

12. Michael

thanks..very comforting!

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Most everything is kept in cherry wood apothecary drawers, out of sight, and dust free. Being an adult, I feel no need to display my music, and movies, as if I were a retailer.
    As a poster above said also, 2-3 times a year, I sell quite a bit to the local BuyBacks store. DVDs I've upgraded to Blu ray, CDs I no longer listen to, etc.

14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

We downsized when we moved here from TN. Had a bonus room with thousands of CD's and DVD's. They are now residing in a (climate controlled) storage building across town. I have to make a special trip to dig out the titles I want. I'm going to
    begin the long process of thinning out the collection pretty soon, with Ebay and the classifieds here being my venues of choice.

15. DreadPikathulhu

I was thinking that it's been almost 10 years since I had everything out. In thinking about it, I don't know if I'd ever go back to that again. It's cluttered and trashy.

I do have a shelving unit of my treasured hardcover art books, and another of my Criterion DVDs, but most everything else is out of sight unless iy is actively on my watch/listen list.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Good storage cabinets are my friend as well as a good organizational system, minimal footprints and maximum capacity. Stuff I know I'm not going to watch or listen to very often goes into organized storage totes. Occasionally if I'm confident I don't want something anymore it goes into a donation box for someone like Easter Seals.

17. Michael

I could not do that! out of the house and in storage would make me anxious!

18. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Most of it is in the garage - the containers, anyway. Most is in portable folders, randomly. Criterion stuff is inside the house. Make copies using HandBrake, a free download - move those onto hard drives. Buy secondhand whenever you can, borrow from libraries whenever you can. Buy new if you really like the item in question. Look at the icheckmovies site, register, make up a watch list so you know what you own, but haven't watched yet (or just check movies you want to watch - helps you keep tabs on things). Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

I have my CDs and DVDs in a dedicated room...

20. DreadPikathulhu

I thought that at first. At one time my stuff was in storage 30 miles away. That made me very anxious. Then I moved it into a place much closer, which helped. Then I got a place with enough space and that made me happy.

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

yes I had a similar experience...storage is a stressful deal. But, I worked hard to make my stuff come home!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.