Movie roles Elvis Presley could have pulled off

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

My pic would be Glen Campbell’s part in True Grit.

Maybe Jon Voight’s Midnight Cowboy role

2. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

A Star Is Born

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

He was up for the part in True Grit, wasn't he? And I believe Sally Field was for the Mattie part. Would have been a much better movie with the two of them I think.

I think I heard Elvis was seriously considering doing the part Meat Loaf did in Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think that one probably worked out for the best.

4. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Batman

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. DaleClark

Maybe the great escape

6. James Bond

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pulp Fiction

TheVU and Ghostworld like this.
  8. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Dick Hickock in "In Cold Blood"

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Since the character of Conrad Birdie in ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ was based on Elvis, he would have been a natural to play him in the movie version of the Broadway musical, and Elvis wanted to do it as a sendup of his image.

Unfortunately, Col. Parker nixed the idea since at the conclusion of the movie Birdie is knocked out by a sock to his jaw, and he didn’t think that was good for Elvis’ image.

Parker also put the kibosh on Elvis co-starring with Barbra Streisand in ‘A Star Is Born’, another role Elvis really wanted to do.

Elvis was a much better actor than folks give him credit for. Look at his performances in ‘King Creole’, ‘Jailhouse Rock’, ‘Wild In The Country’ and ‘Flaming Star’. Those roles showed he had the potential to be a great actor when given the right material to work with.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    905, goodiesguy, jwoverho and 3 others like this.
  10. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

I think he would have done a good job with Ricky Nelson's role in "Rio Bravo" even though he is five years older. A young, slightly cocky gunslinger, who even gets to sing a few songs while sitting around the jailhouse. I don't know if the Colonel would have let him take anything that wasn't a starring role though.

fuse999 likes this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Believe it or not, EP was actually offered this. I can't believe the producers seriously thought the Col would OK it

He was offered the role of Perry Smith
    I don't believe this for a moment

Elvis was also offered:

The James Mitchum role in Thunder Road. He was already too big a star for a part this size, but Elvis agreed to discuss so he could meet Robert Mitchum, a longtime idol of his

the Tony Curtis role in The Defiant Ones

Tony in West Side Story

Hank Williams in Your Cheatin' Heart. These last two probably got snagged on publishing rights. no way the Col was going to let Elvis plug an album where they didn't own the publishing.

BZync likes this.
  12. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

That would have been supppper interesting.
    I think it would have made the film far more dynamic. You have a guy who is nearly universally adored by woman at the time, who gets no luck. The theater scene would be the axe for someone of his stature. But it would have been a fascinating watch.

13. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Sonny Corleone.

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

“He was an instinctive actor...He was quite bright...he was very intelligent...He was not a punk. He was very elegant, sedate, and refined, and sophisticated.” -
    Walter Matthau

Elvis gives his best performance, a fine one, in Flaming Star. His work in the "renunciation" scene, where he tells his family he's leaving to go live w/the Indians, is better than a few Oscar winners I've watched.

artfromtex and Ginger Ale like this.
  15. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I think I remember hearing that Jacqueline Susann wanted Elvis to play Tony Polar in Valley of the Dolls. Of course everybody wanted Judy Garland to play Helen Lawson too.

Could have been a completely different film...

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

When I read about that in Careless Love I got really mad at Col. Parker for basically nixing it.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I could see him playing Sir Lancelot in the Camelot movie.

18. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Eddie in Rocky Horror Picture Show.

mmars982 likes this.
  19. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Luke in Cool Hand Luke.

Damiano54, Sean, Olompali and 2 others like this.
  20. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The film's a classic as it is, but I admit I would've loved to have seen that.

TheVU and Tom Perry like this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I can see him in the james garner role

22. DaleClark

The Col. really had a tight grip on EP. As big as a start Elvis already was, just think if the right manager oversaw everything. Better movies, overseas tour, better music later in career. Of course, Elvis health would have needed adressed.

23. Which role? For that would make a very big difference.

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

My vote is Midnight Cowboy.

I know I have said it before but I must say it again. His acting in Follow That Dream is awesome. Kind of like a southern Crocodile Dundee. Not only is the movie funny "...not so much like your ironing a shirt (last few minutes of movie), but it has a great script. My wife turned me on to this one and I have never been the same. This one has levels. One of the most "American" movies he has done.

As for other suggestion. Cool Hand Luke is very interesting indeed!

Tom Perry likes this.
  25. The best role Elvis could have ever played is one that never came to fruition.
    "The Disappearance of Col. Tom Parker."

goodiesguy and Alan G. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.