Movie trilogies (or film series) you never finished?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chrome_Head, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

I was 5 when the original Back To The Future came out. I loved the movie which my parents bought for us kids on Betamax tape, which we watched endlessly. I went to see part 2 in the theater with my Dad when it came out, and generally enjoyed it, though it was weird and darker. But I never saw the third film and still haven’t to this day. I guess the thought of a movie set WAY back in the past wasn’t appealing.

Likewise, Lord Of The Rings. I thought the first film was pretty great, the second a dull slog, and when I heard the third film Return Of The King was close to three hours, I passed at the time, and have still not seen it.

Any examples for you come to mind?

Thwacko and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  2. Nomad

Nomad Forum Resident

Star Wars. The fourth film, "The Phantom Menace" was one of the worst films I have watched for the capital and time spent of it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I couldn't get through the second Matrix mess.
    After the first two Terminator films I'd had enough.
    Aliens III finished that for me.
    I doubt there is any more than three series that I've stuck with.
    Wait! I've seen all of Paul Nashy's werewolf movies that are available. Most of them are stand alone films though.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Rewatched the 2nd and 3rd within the last several years--I found the 2nd one to be pretty pointless, the 3rd was a decent enough ending.

You stopped at a good place. 2019's Dark Fate was a fairly ok sequel.

Yeah, that franchise went downhill from there and hasn't really recovered.

unclefred likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

First Matrix: Very good.
    Second Matrix: WTF.
    Third Matrix: Food me twice, shame on me. Didn't watch.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Christopher Nolan's BATMAN. I hated the endless second chapter and passed on the third.

I hope to miss the third chapter of John Wick, but enthusiastic friends probably won't allow it.

7. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

James Bond. I probably saw every movie through Quantum of Solace in the theater, but after that I tuned out. I never took to Daniel Craig as Bond although I'm looking forward to the continuation of the Knives Out series. Yes I'm old enough to have seen Dr. No in a theater, they didn't care how old you were in those days as long as you coughed up the 50 cents.

8. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I don't know. I saw one or two Die Hard movies, not all of them. Same with Rambo, Rocky and a bunch of others. I would have to really enjoy a movie to see all the sequels. Especilly knowing that the sequels are often just made for the $$ and not because the writers have anything new and creative to add.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The only good Batman movie is the one with Adam West. I know it's campy nonsense but I'm serious.
    All the others are flawed in major ways.

Frozensoda and jupiter8 like this.
  10. Chrome_Head

I think Nolan’s Batman trilogy is phenomenal, personally—the first two films in particular (Begins a terrific origin/adventure story, the 2nd a great gritty crime drama/Joker story). The 3rd was a bit of a bloated misfire (Nolan seemed to be channeling the disaster movie genre in it) but Tom Hardy’s Bane makes it fun.

Batman hasn’t been campy nonsense in the comics since the late 60’s, despite the two campy Joel Schumacher films of the 1990’s.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Oh, DEFINITELY miss the third chapter. The first John Wick was entertaining. Not great, but entertaining. The third was endless (and I mean ennnnnddddddlllleeeeesssssss) fight scenes with maybe 10 minutes of plot. It sucked.

12. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

The Matrix - the 2nd one took everything special about the characters and peril of the first film and p*ssed on it. I caught the last five minutes of the third on TV and so at least I see where it went, and am willing to watch the new one if the reviews from trusted people are good.

The Hobbit - the 1st one was OK, the 2nd one was so bloated and dull that I refused to see the third.

Amazing Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield series) - and I think Andrew Garfield is the best of the recent three actors in the costume (Tobey is my favorite Peter Parker, and Tom Holland strikes a good balance). But I found myself checking the time on a couple of occasions during the first film and couldn't drag myself to the 2nd one.

On related note, I've seen all of the Star Wars films even after I know they're not getting any better (Rogue One excepted). But, I was an uber Star Wars nut before then, completing the Marvel set and all of the novels from the 70's through the revitalization of the 90s. But when I walked out of Phantom Menace I felt like Alex in A Clockwork Orange - "I was cured" - and never picked up the comics or novels again.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

The Hunger Games- it got dumber the longer it went on with some insufferable overacting and mugging by a couple of the actors -it was always derivative of "Battle Royale" (and they all owe a lot to the Shirley Jackson short story "The Lottery")

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I never saw a Star Wars movie except for one (original theater) screening of the first one, and I don't feel like I have missed anything.

I saw two Indiana Jones movies and enjoyed both but never sought out any more.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  15. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

The Hangover

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved the first Divergent movie.

Big drop with the second movie. Seemed to be too much special effects.

Never watched the third movie.

Curveboy likes this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"The Bad News Bears Go To Japan" is unwatchable.

18. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yup. All three Star Wars trilogies for me :biglaugh: watched episodes 4, 5, 1 and I think 7 as well as the Rogue One spin-off. When I fell asleep at the movies during the latter, I realized that Star Wars probably just isn't my cup of tea :shrug:

Interestingly enough, I didn't even choose to watch any of them. I watched 4, 5 and 1 with a friend who tried everything to get me into Star Wars and the newer two with another friend who used to invite some of his friends to the movies because he was a club member of some sorts at the local multiplex. Of course, everyone in that group apart from me liked Star Wars, so every new film was an event and I never cared enough to challenge this choice (we DID get to watch "Rocketman", though, which was way more up my alley).

But I digress. Sorry. Other trilogies I started and haven't finished as of yet:

- Batman: The Dark Knight trilogy (only watched part 1, Batman Begins)
    - Rainer Werner Fassbinder's BRD trilogy (still missing Veronika Voss, but have seen the other two and loved them)
    - The Trilogy of the Dead (only Dawn Of The Dead so far)

Nomad likes this.
  19. Nomad

Nomad Forum Resident

I agree, I rarely get into "Franchises", it really is too much for me. They always run out of ideas, and drags on. Ok for "obsessives" but i am not one of those.

Music is the same, I always turn off listening to any artist after their first 8-10 albums. The quality goes down hill fast.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I have yet to dive into the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, I'm embarrassed to say. Part of it is that there are the Swedish original versions that are said to be better than the Americanized Craig versions, yet there are also extended versions of the Swedish blu-rays. I don't know which to order, have no confidence I'll get the proper version or that I'll enjoy it enough to make it a worthwhile investment.

Also, I realize this is sacrilege but I've never made it through the Clint Eastwood - Sergio Leone trilogy. Fistful of Dollars bores me to tears. I sort of see why people love it so much and the camera work is great, but I do not love it.

Likewise I think there is an Old Boy trilogy, but I've only seen the original film and that was more than enough for me. A great movie but not something I particularly enjoy watching or want to see again or see sequels.

Regarding Star Wars, I don't think I finished the second trilogy -- if so I have no memory of it -- and don't even know if there's a 3rd trilogy.

Loved Matrix, the second one I could barely get through. Never attempted to see the third.

Enjoyed Back to the Future ok, the second one was a big step down, and never saw the third.

21. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

You are wise to not see the third Lord of the Rings film. I am with you on the 1st two films as well. The only reason I saw the third film was because I got roped into it. I still can't get the final scene out of my mind.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

You certainly didn't miss anything. The best bits were in the first half of the first film (which still seemed to take forever to get going). The 2nd movie was ridiculous trash. There's a reason Sony threw in with Marvel Studios after that dud--though I did think Garfield's performance as Spider-Man was terrific, the writing was horrible.

My ex was a huge fan of the franchise, and I went with her to the theater to see the third film, me having not seen any of the others. JFC, what a dull film! Must have been all talky setup for the fourth finale film.

23. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I loved all the LOTR movies, extended versions and all.

I went to see The Hobbit, expecting it to be a single movie. Halfway through I figured out it would be a series. In any case, I didn’t like what I saw at all, and didn’t even stay for the ending. Passed on the next two, of course.

Frozensoda and Michael like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My parents lived in Arizona for about 16 years, and I'd visit for Xmas.

My Dad and I would always go to a movie, and in 2012, "Hobbit: Unexpected Journey" was the choice.

Dad loved the "LOTR" series, but he hated "Unexpected Journey".

When I came out to AZ for Xmas 2013, I asked what Dad wanted to see - and he said "Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug"! :wtf:

I never got an explanation why he wanted to see the 2nd movie after he completely loathed the 1st one! :confused:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I make it a point to finish each and every film series I start...Therefore at the moment I'm all caught up...it does does bug me to have loose ends! but sometimes it can't be helped. : )

Chrome_Head likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.