MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

These experiences were both at Cinemark. I wish MP actually worked when they said it would. Anyway, my subscription is cancelled. I do not trust them to actually make things much better when the new service rolls around. I mean, after all the bad press they got, they sent out an email yesterday to see MI, and I try to see it, but the listings get stripped. I do not have any faith in them anymore. It's one thing to have a horribly-limited selection, but it's another entirely when they advertise a film being available but pull it away when you are driving to the theaters and have made plans with family and friends.

I fully agree, which is why, after paying $10 a month for Moviepass for one year, I was incredibly annoyed at actually having to pay over $20 in the past two days to see movies. That's against the whole reason I got MP. Big fail.

lightbulb, F_C_FRANKLIN and Oatsdad like this.
  2. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Well, at least yesterday was dollar day at the theatre, so your ticket should have been $5.00 to $6.00 at Cinemark theatres. I concede is would be highly annoying for the availability to disappear after driving to the box office. But truthfully, it hasn't happened to me and I continue to see 1-2 movies each week.

3. snowman872

Read on the MP Facebook page they are cash positive now according to an interview today!

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

All because they did not pay for my (or anyone's really) tickets this week. You're welcome, MP.

mrjinks, Jrr, Benno123 and 1 other person like this.
  5. snowman872

They paid mine! But it was very wise of them to be responsible, stop the bleeding and get on a new course. Great leadership has to make difficult decisions. They just were not in the position to keep spending $20+ million a month by keeping things they way they were. Very bold and brave.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This is new for me. I checked after 9AM and the only movie available in my area was The Meg. Around noon it was still available, but Crazy Rich Asians was too. Now Chirstopher Robin is available as well as those two. The first time I have seen movies added as the day went on.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

This morning was "The Meg" only. Right now (6:00) it's "Christopher Robin" only. It's a bit like roulette.

8. snowman872

Yes, same here. MoviePass is telling us this is a good day to see these titles. I don't see The Meg available here. I have seen movies added before. A few weeks ago, sometimes there were no movies available, but later in the evening - for the ten o'clock set, they added quite a few. It's hard to predict.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You boys can enjoy your MP roulette. I reserved a Dolby Cinema seat for "The Meg" that I'll head to in a couple of minutes.

Imagine - I can reserve in advance and not deal with hassles or guesswork! :eek:

This is my 2nd Dolby Cinema screening this week under A-List. May see the new Wahlberg movie tomorrow A-List to score the Dolby Trifecta for the week! :D

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh my, ‘cmon. That is so over the top you must be working for those guys!

11. snowman872

That's silly ... I'm just a MP fan and appreciate a good bargain.

12. Oatsdad

He's trolling the thread for laughs. He's gotten increasingly absurd in his attempts to glorify MP, a sure sign of trollery at work...

mrjinks and Jrr like this.
  13. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

MP has put a schedule of what movies will be available on which days on their website:

MoviePass | MoviePass

Even at that, I wouldn't count on them not pulling showtimes early. If you're gonna try to use it, you'll likely have to get tickets early. I am still managing to get some use out of it since I can frequently see a movie in the middle of the day. But the company is clearly a dead man walking.

snowman872 likes this.
  14. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

After all the news about them going broke it amazes me that some folks still think they'll be able to see any movie any day. MP is on borrowed time, face reality, it's just about over.

15. snowman872

Thanks for posting this Jeff. It will prove very helpful in planning movie excursions. Nice to see the movie choices growing again (as expected).

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Managed to see Christopher Robin yesterday at a Cinemark.

snowman872 likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Great list! :rolleyes:

That's 2 movies a day that most people will actually have access to at the local multiplex and some small releases that won't be available to the vast majority of the public.

This isn't a sign that movie choices are "growing". It's a list of two accessible movies and a few others that give the impression of more availability than actually exists...

mrjinks likes this.
  18. snowman872

I liked that movie. People are too jaded these days. The world is sick and badly needs to return to innocence again.

19. snowman872

Last night I was unable to view Crazy Rich Asians as planned. I went out to dinner and planned to see it at night at a nearby theatre. Unfortunately, no (box office) theatres were available at 8 PM in my area. That was disappointing.

You know, there is a Studio Movie Grill in that area with e-ticketing, but I've never gone there. Does anyone here go there? I'd like to hear your experiences. I don't want to eat dinner there - I just want to see a movie. Would I be out of place? I understand a lot of them don't even have traditional movie snacks. Even though they have tickets available with MoviePass I feel hesitant to go there. The whole concept seems weird to me.

Also, how does e-ticketing work with MoviePass? I've never tried it since I usually visit Century or Regal locations.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

20. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I am really excited for Slender Man to be available on Saturday!

21. Chris DeVoe

It works for Vickie at the Landmark theaters in Chicago. She buys her ticket that morning for the show later that evening, and it's done.

snowman872 likes this.
  22. snowman872

Do you purchase the ticket directly in the MP app?

23. Chris DeVoe

Yes, and she redeems them via the app as well, I believe.

snowman872 likes this.
  24. snowman872

Mitch sent an e-mail this morning with some additional information about the availability of movies during what I call the "Plan B" transition.

"As we transition to the new subscription plan, we want to share more details about our service moving forward as part of our commitment to keep you fully informed. For the time being, we will be limiting the films and showtimes that are available to members each day. During this transition period, MoviePass will offer up to six films to choose from daily, including a selection of major studio first-run films and independent releases. In addition, showtime availability may be limited depending on the popularity of those films on the app that particular day.

While the films and showtimes available in the app will change daily, the schedule of available film selections will be published at least a week in advance on the MoviePass website so members can plan ahead for the films they want to see. Click here to see the current schedule. Please note that e-ticketing will continue to include ALL movies and showtimes with no restrictions. Because actual availability will change daily, we encourage our members to always check the MoviePass app before leaving for the theater."
    He also said "some exciting updates on additional features and service offerings" will be coming soon! :edthumbs:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. snowman872

Might be worth a look/see especially for folks here, who are audio enthusiasts! :righton:

"As a horror movie should, this movie relies heavily on the sound. If you don't want to be scared in a horror movie, don't close your eyes - close your ears... And this movie plays to that." (Jeremy Jahns)